16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pretty disgusted with Bass Pro Shop & Cabela's
df
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Drove by that parking lot many times. It was always nearly full.
duckdup
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:02 am  Reply with quote

I miss the clothing and camp equipment Cabela's had under their private labels as much as the Herter's ammo. Their tents, sleeping bags, cookware & clothing lines were always first class. Most of the BP stuff is no better than Wal-Mart but three times as expensive. BP has decent fishing gear, but so did Dick Cabela...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:32 am  Reply with quote

Never cared for brass pro at all. Care less now. Cabelas used to be great. But you could tell they started going down hill prior to bass pro buy out.

As I said in the past. Good time for the small shops that do gunsmithing to jump in.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have no complaints about Cabelas or BassPro whatsover. They have never wronged me. Cabelas has been a windfall for us 16ga shooters when they sold a box of Herters for five bucks and change, but that well has run dry. Get over it. 16 ga will never be that inexpensive again, that day is gone forever. We should be thanking them for going the extra mile for 16 ga shooters when they could. Who else did that for us?

Cabelas and BassPro are as good as or better than almost all brick and mortar competitors when it comes to price and inventory, not to mention frequent free shipping, especially compared to places like "Richards" (being formal here) that threw us under the bus.

For goodness sakes guys, the last time I was in Cabelas they had two VERY nice 16 ga guns (LC and Nitro Special) in the gun library at GREAT prices!!

All that Wallys carries here in 16 ga are dusty boxes of Fed #6 from the last century.

Do I comparison shop? Of course. But more often than not, Cabelas and BassPro are within a few cents and NEVER STIFFED ME LIKE SOME OTHER PLACES THAT SHALL REMAIN UNNAMED.

And if Im cruising by Cabelas or BassPro stores with time on my hands, I'm going inside to shop. They always seem to have something I think I badly need.

Cheers,
B.
shouseal
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Same here. We are in the middle of great waterfowl hunting. The Cabelas here used to have isles of decoys in the fall. Once Bass Pro Shop took over, they have nothing! No decoys at all! In their place was kids' toys. The store looks like an outdoor-themed cross between Walmart and Toys-R-Us now. I spoke with a manager and he agreed.

Looking for ammo and good deals all around? Try the new Gander Outdoors (Outdoor World bought Gander Mountain, closed over half the stores and rebranded the remaining Gander Outdoors). I am very pleased with the one near me. If you join the Good Sam Club, the deals get even better. For 12 gauge shooters, you can get Remington Gun Club for $48.50/flat. 16 gauge RGL are $6.60/box. I go there and almost never to Cabelas any more.

bowtiguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought a case of Federal #5 wings shock for $190 shipped from buds gun shop. No tax and cheaper than the $27.95 a box cabellas sells it for. I'm good for the next 5 bird seasons now!

16ga citori white lightening (17’) 28” grade 3 wood
bowtiguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

FYI, I just bought a case of #5s ( they have #4's and #6's too) for $190 shipped from Buds gun shop - tax free! Federal wing shock at cabellas $27.95/box + close to 9% sales tax.

16ga citori white lightening (17’) 28” grade 3 wood