16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herters 16
readgriff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Just received my Cabelas catalogs and there is 16 gauge Herters shells there for $99 a case.
Not sure what color or what kind of Hull or who makes them for Herters
Have to go to Cabelas and check them out.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:45 am  Reply with quote

https://www.cabelas.com/product/HERTERS-DOVE-QUAIL-PER-BOX/2482977.uts?slotId=1

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, Skeettx, those shells are listed on Cabelas' website. But, if one looks at the far right column of the table there's the entry "Not Stocked at Store".

Cabela's website has handy pull-down menus to allow checking if an item is stocked at any particular store. I took about 5 minutes to go through every store listed on their website.

Those shells are "Not Stocked at Store" for EVERY store Cabela's has.

So, they "have" these shells "in stock", but they are "not stocked at store". As good as not having them at all.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

BUT, they are delivered RIGHT TO MY DOOR Smile
And they shoot quite well

Mike

And the deliverer likes this much more that a Medium Flat Rate Box
full of cast bullets for some of my pistols Smile

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

I think it’s GREAT NEWS and I can’t wait to order some and see how they work out for 16ga shooting AND 2 1/2” reloading. I have a tub of Herters empties that are still going strong after several reloadings, and I look forward to churning out a bunch more, whatever stripe and fit they may be!

B.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:19 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
BUT, they are delivered RIGHT TO MY DOOR Smile
And they shoot quite well

Mike

And the deliverer likes this much more that a Medium Flat Rate Box
full of cast bullets for some of my pistols Smile

So, have you actually ordered them and, if so, whose hulls are they?
Remember, Cabelas was dropping Cheddite (loaded in Italy). Are these old stock they're moving out of the warehouse or new stock?

And most important - are they purple? Laughing

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:56 am  Reply with quote

I hope they are Federal hulls just the way Federal makes them........Purple

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:16 am  Reply with quote

Only a true 16 gauge person understands the purple thing.
TripleH
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:20 am  Reply with quote

Need more of these like a hole in the head right now but curiosity got the best of me so I ordered a few, will advise what they look like when they show up.

I was still only able to order limited quantities, so I won't be surprised if these end up being the old ones though.

Rob
Bill K
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:29 am  Reply with quote

No doubt that the decision to scrap Herter's shotgun ammunition was made by an "MBA" (someone who holds a Masters of Business Administration degree).

MBA's have little to no real world experience - just book knowledge, but they know better than the customer.

And when it comes to hiring practices MBA's only recognize MBA's - everybody else are the 'great unwashed'

MBA's will cause the down fall of America.

They are so smart that they are stupid.
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Bill, is that some sort of public service announcement? Smile

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
MBA's will cause the down fall of America.

Maybe so but hopefully not, however if it were to happen, they will have had plenty of help from MAs, MSs, MDs, PhDs, BAs, BSs, and plenty of other degreed and non-degreed individuals as well (did I leave anybody out?).

More seriously, the decision to terminate Herters shotshells most likely came from the manufacturer in Italy, not here at Cabelas. How could the Italians possibly make any money from a shotshell selling at a 30 percent discount to similar ammo from Mexico?

B.
Bill K
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

RE: the decision to cancel contracts held by Cabela's with Herter's.

A few weeks back I was in the Cabela's located in Hartford CT, and happen to strike up a conversation with a salesperson who appeared to know what he was talking about.

I posted that story somewhere here on the forum.

He said that, at the time when Bass Pro Shops merged with Cabela's, Cabela's had contracts in place with Herter's for rifle/pistol/shotgun ammunition that were good for five years into the future. But somebody high up in the Bass pro Shops corporation decided to capriciously cancel these contracts.

Since that time Cabela's has been negotiating to reinstate those contracts or seek another supplier with which to do so.

If I recall correctly pistol ammo was back on the shelves, shotgun ammunition was to reappear shortly (that is on going now) and that a supplier for rifle ammo could not be found.

Now, for what ever its worth, I hold a BS degree in Engineering and Aviation Science. RE: MBA's, perhaps I'm being harsh, but over the years I've found that there are a few worth their salt, but those are over shadowed by those who couldn't manage their way out a paper bag.

An MBA degree, which was designed to be an add on to an Engineering degree - in order for Engineers to understand the business side of the street, has turned into a stepping stone for those coming right out of college into management.

When I applied to MBA school you used to have excellent grades coupled with people who would vouch for you. Now colleges are so desperate for money they'll let anybody go to MBA school - and that's the problem, they've watered down the value.

BTW, I quit MBA school as I found it to be "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" type knowledge. My grandfather got me involved with the family business when I was 4 years old - by the time I was 8 I felt I was a man, I did everything except drink hard liquor and smoke. I learned FAR more from that than I did in MBA school.

So think about what I'm saying - someone who graduated from high school and then spent the next 5 to 7 years of their life sequestered away on a sterile, PC college campus, learning little other what's written in books is now telling us (the consumer what we want).

To me MBA might as well stand for Master Bullsh_t Artist.

An MBA is not to be confused with a MS -a Masters Degree in Science, I tip my hat to real scientists - our world would be nothing without them.

As for a MA degree - a Masters Degree in the Arts, some would say its not worth the paper its printed on. My comment is exactly what do you of value to the America buying public with a Master's Degree in French ?
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Following on what Bill K says immediately upthread, we had a long thread on this site about Cheddite-loaded Herters' 16 ga shells, back about the time it became clear they were not being replenished as sold. To recapitulate:

We found out that Herters had cancelled the contract with Cheddite. We also found out Cheddite wanted to continue selling their shells to the American market. We found out both these things because someone here went to Cheddite and asked them directly got an equally direct answer from them.

We further found out, as things progressed, that Cabelas was selling out the stocks of Herters shells and not replenishing them. When that was going on I bought 14 boxes of Herters shells - mostly 16 but also some 12 ga heavy pheasant loads for 4.88 a box.

In the meantime Cabelas has begun receiving new Herters-branded ammunition. The first I saw was 9mm. I was in the local-to-me store when they were stocking it on their shelves. The boxes have a radically different deisgn from the prior boxes. The sales crew were checking the ammo and its packaging, to try to determine who'd made it. Their best, educated deduction was "Winchester, because the foam inset in the boxes was close or identical to that used by Winchester". That was for 9mm. The old Herters - in the black and red boxes - was most likely made by Sellier and Bellot.

Within the last couple weeks, they have started to get shotgun ammunition in - 12 ga Herters-branded. Again, the boxes are different but, since they are in flats, I haven't had the chance to check them out.

As noted above, some genius decided to redo all their ammo supply contracts for reasons impenetrable to mere customers, succeeding once again in alienating those cash-spending customers.

[/list]

longgunnm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

The catalog I received today says "Legendary Herter's American-Made Ammunition"
"Made in USA" on the back cover.
Pictured shotgun, rifle, handgun and rimfire boxes.
longgunnm