16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Lead fouling
lonertoo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

What is the best thing to clean lead from a 16ga rifled barrel? It's not too bad, but I want to get it out of there.
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:54 am  Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it is the best way but I always used steel wool. Go to the hardware store and buy some medium to fine stool wool, tear off some peices that can be pushed through with a rod. Use Hopes #9 with it. It comes out with a little effort.
lonertoo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Thanks alot, will try it!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Whow there lonertoo, steel wool is okay for smooth bores but not rifled barrels. It probably won't hurt the basic rifling but can ruin the muzzle crown. The crown is the last part of the barrel to guide the projectile and a bad one can ruin accuracy. Try a piece of Bell Lead-out cloth. It is a specialy treated yellow colored cloth that helps wipe out lead fouling without abrading the barrel. use it with a 16 gauge jag.

Really stubborn lead fouling can be shot out with a jacketed projectile. However, I don't know if there is a jacketed slug for 16 gauge. By the way, if you are shooting commercial 16 ga. rifled slugs, then you are shooting dead soft lead. Try using a pure, dead soft .62 cal cast round ball in a 16 gauge plastic shot cup loaded sprue up. I usually cut a one piece plastic wad into the shot cup and the gas check and discard the cushion legs. Then I use fiber or felt and cardboard wads to adjust the powder/wad/ball column for a good folded crimp. a strip of plastic window screen around the bottom and up the sides of the ball inside the cup helps transfer the rifling grip on the wad to the ball and aids in consistant spin. The ball can be shot at 1500 FPS and packs a real wallop. There is loading data available from BPI. If loaded right, these babies can shoot well inside 4 inches at 100 yards. My system works well in any gauge. All you have to do is figure the right dia. ball to fit snugly into the shot cup with the strip of screen around the bottom of the ball and up the inside of the shot cup. The best part is there is no leading. a little plastic fouling will develope but it scrubs right out with Dupont carburator cleaner and a twelve gauge bronze brush (for a sixteen bore).
lonertoo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Sixteen, Once this is clean I will use Lightfield Sabots probably.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Thats a wise decision. I've heard nothing but good about Lightfields. However, I really like creating my own loads. I'm free from price increases and capricious gov. interference about what and what not I can shoot (except explosive heads which I'm not fool enough to try anyway). Plus, I've learned how to develop some very accurate and hard hitting ammo.

If my first offered method does not work, some J&B bore compound judiciously applied to the bore's interior will also help. Clean only from the breech end. This means removing the barrel from the gun if you can.Just try not to let the swab or jag get past the muzzle each time you make a pass up and down the bore. I usually tape the muzzle shut and put a small hole in the center of the tape to let the air in and out. If you must clean from the muzzle, then don't pull the swab into the muzzle on the back pass. The compound, followed up with flitz, Simichrome, or Puma knife polish (all the same stuff) will smooth out your bore. The barrel's accuracy may increase, and it will foul less.
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:43 am  Reply with quote

You may be right about the crown but if it does, I've never noticed it on accuracy. I've used the steel wool on my pistols as well as my smooth bores. Maybe it will effect rifles more?
You mentioned the soft lead in Foster slugs. They really will lead a smooth bore. I noticed that Federal is advertising a slug that fits on top a conical plastic wad. It is not fully enclosed so I'm not sure if it will help lead fouling. They just say it is more accurate.
lonertoo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

scolari, is federal offering this new slug in 16ga?
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:27 am  Reply with quote

I don't think Federal is offering it in 16ga. After I posted my comment, I looked at Graffs catalog and they only show it in 12&20. They usually have most of what Federal offers. Maybe the same old story, not enough volume to warrant the change.
Mr. 16 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

The answer that I have found to lead and plastic fouling is a "Tornado" brush (I think they are made by Outers). It is several rings of springy steel that essentially scrapes the gunk off the side of the barrel.....lead comes off as shiny, silver flakes and the plastic, if it is thick, comes off as "goo"! Shocked

lonertoo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

I have seen those before , but there again most places don't carry them for 16ga. I have it pretty clean now after using Butch's bore shine several times with a 12ga bronze brush. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas!!!! This is a great site for 16ga owners!!!
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:38 am  Reply with quote

The tornado brush is great for smooth bores but it won't help on a rifled barrel. I use them for both 16 and 20 gauge. I ordered them from some where.
Mr. 16 gauge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Scolari wrote:
The tornado brush is great for smooth bores but it won't help on a rifled barrel. I use them for both 16 and 20 gauge. I ordered them from some where.

I respectfully disagree! I use tornado brushes for all my revolvers when leading gets heavy, and it does a great job of removing fouling, esp. around the forcing cone.

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:02 am  Reply with quote

If you can't find a 16 ga tornado brush, then get a 20 ga tornado brush. I use a 20 ga in my 16's and it works great.
XVI

lonertoo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks XVI, By the way what's your thought on using rifled slugs in a rifled barrel? Dave