16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Question on rifled slugs for deer hunting.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Recently got my first 16 and intend on using it for deer season. I plan on getting some slugs from a few different companies and trying them, seeing what my gun likes best. Does anybody here deer hunt with a 16, if so, what is your experiences with rifled slugs?
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Use a rifle myself but I think your plan of trying a variety is the way to go. Also a, assuming youre not talking about rifled slug barrels. For smoothbores I've read good things on Brenneke and Federal Tru ball.

SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Use a rifle myself but I think your plan of trying a variety is the way to go. Also a, assuming youre not talking about rifled slug barrels. For smoothbores I've read good things on Brenneke and Federal Tru ball.

Yep, smoothbore. I plan on getting some federal, Brenneke and remingtion.

Also, I live in illinios, no rifles here.
16crazy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have killed deer with Remington 16 gauge slugs with a 11-48 and a 1960s Savage bolt action.
They worked well but as with all rifled slugs in smooth bore barrels accuracy is minute of a whitetail.

I didn't complete an extensive accuracy experiment but back in the day the Remington shot better than Federals and Winchesters by a small margin.

Those three slugs were the extent of my testing.

Also I trust somewhere someone shot a 1 inch group at 100 yards with rifled slugs but that never has been my experience.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

16crazy wrote:
I have killed deer with Remington 16 gauge slugs with a 11-48 and a 1960s Savage bolt action.
They worked well but as with all rifled slugs in smooth bore barrels accuracy is minute of a whitetail.

I didn't complete an extensive accuracy experiment but back in the day the Remington shot better than Federals and Winchesters by a small margin.

Those three slugs were the extent of my testing.

Also I trust somewhere someone shot a 1 inch group at 100 yards with rifled slugs but that never has been my experience.

Thanks for the reply. I don't even think Winchester make a rifled 16 gauge slug anymore.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:45 am  Reply with quote

I used my Auto 5 sixteen for years until NY went rifle in the southern zone. I found the win slug shot the best out of mine. I was pretty good with it, ok to 75 yards. Probably shot 25 to 30 with it. Including my first at 16 years old. Never had one bounce off. Good luck.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:10 am  Reply with quote

Tru-ball works well. Brenneke is good quality, harder to find down here.
Good idea to try a few. Shoot em on a clean barrel, each, if that's how you actually hunt (with a clean barrel).
Good luck, bring lots of cash for testing! Very Happy
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Looked at Federals website and doesn't look like they make Truball in anything but 12ga. Brenneke however does make their's in16, and even 28ga.

Edit- just looked at a hardcover Federal 2018 catalogue and they do also make the Truball in 20 ga.; a 23 /4 in 3/4 oz at 1600fps and a 3in 3/4 oz at 1700fps.It also says they have a deep penetrator version of the 12ga.

Last edited by Savage16 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

16crazy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:52 am  Reply with quote

As far as availability for slugs, Remington is still available. Winchester was in production at least within the last 3 years. Not sure about Federal.

I tested the three brands years ago so I trust things have changed.

Performance on deer is great. A big chunk of lead always works well.
John Singer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Here is a tip. Do your sighting in and testing at 50 yards with smooth bore rifled slugs.

I would zero to be about 1 to 2" high at 50 yards.

At somewhere between 70 and 80 yards, rifled slugs become subsonic. As they approach the sound barrier they experience turbulenc. They may destabilize and accuracy can suffer.

SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
Here is a tip. Do your sighting in and testing at 50 yards with smooth bore rifled slugs.

I would zero to be about 1 to 2" high at 50 yards.

At somewhere between 70 and 80 yards, rifled slugs become subsonic. As they approach the sound barrier they experience turbulenc. They may destabilize and accuracy can suffer.

Noted. Thanks.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

In particular, the Tru-Ball's I used were 20 Ga.
BPS Cyl choke tube. By far the best shooting slug I've used, accuracy wise.
Federal makes 16 Ga slugs, or did until recently. Possibly rifled, not Tru-Ball.
I've no 16's I would use a slug in.
Good luck
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

1972 my grandfather drove to the Ithaca factory to get a deerslayer barrel fitted for my 16 ga. 37. Killed a lot of deer with it using Brenneke slugs, they didn't go far and most dropped like a rock. The Brenneke worked well with the deerslayer barrels which are not choked. They are somewhere between Mod and IM the full length of the bore so the slugs fit well down the bore the full length of the trip.

Not sure what gun you have but an attached barrel is always more accurate. Some have them pinned and you can even use pieces of a tin can to shim them tighter. Of course that is on pump guns.

Went to rifled slug barrels and sabots when they first came out. Lightfield made the first sabot slugs and I bought them from the guy that made them back when it was in his basement in NJ. TarHunt down in Bloomsburg, Pa. specializes in slug guns and ammo they came into existing not long after the Lightfields did. Lightfield makes a 16 ga. Foster slug the Commander IDS but production is hit or miss. I would contact TarHunt and see if they are available at this time and try some of those too. https://www.tarhunt.com/product/16ga-commander-ids-plus-available-late-summer-2018/ Lightfield sells all over now but they still have some type of special agreement with TarHunt, if anyone can get them they can.

SE Mn. has some huge record bucks in the bluffs of the Mississippi River as does Wi. and Iowa. I switched to muzzle loaders and sabots when I started hunting here. Then about 8 years ago realized I didn't want to gut the things or drag them out of the woods anymore. And deer season was an interruption to bird hunting and running the dog, so been a few years since I have stayed up with it.

What John said about 50 yard sight in for a slug gun is true. TarHunt used to have quite a few good articles on their site but not many are there anymore. There is still one for why do the 50 yard sight in.
https://www.tarhunt.com/zeroing-a-slug-gun/

I have taken deer at well over 100 yards with foster slugs using the Brenneke. Wind is the largest factor and they used to have a great article on it and slugs. Now they only have bits and pieces of it. But you should be able to get an idea of the impact of wind from this piece-

For example, AT 100 YARDS, a 10 mph crosswind moves a slug 5 to 6 inches at 100 yards. A tail wind causes the impact point of a slug to move up so it looks like it is shooting flatter then it really is, a head wind will move the impact point down more then what the drop is supposed to be. It is evident then, that slug movement of 5 to 7 inches at 100 yards is not uncommon. To take this even a step further, a 15 to 17 mph cross wind, typical of what one might encounter during a November/December deer hunt, will move a slug 9 to 11 inches at 100 yards, near 24 inches at 150 yards, an even 30 inches at 200 yards

Good luck hunting and have fun in your search.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Cold Iron"]

Thanks for the reply. The gun I am going to use is a Browning 1961 a5 sweet 16 (smooth bore) and am in the process of getting a deer barrel for it, so I will be using rifled slugs. I have 2 questions for you.

1- If I am not pleased with the alignment of my future barrel, would I still be able to shim it, or does this only work with pumps? (I have heard about shimming but never tired it myself.)

2-Out of curiosity, seeing how you were around back then, and I was not, do you recall what year rifled shotgun barrels first came out and what company did it first? I tried looking into this before but could not find much, only they where around in the mid/late 80s.
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:11 am  Reply with quote

Looks as though Fed, Rem and Ben are the current new options

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/16-gauge?ss=slug

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/16-gauge/slugs/

Is rolling your own an option?

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/16ga-DGS-16-Slug-25_pak/productinfo/0721616/