16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Legacy Guns - Nice Article in the RGS/Covers Magazine
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

On page 19 of the new RGS Covers magazine the article on Legacy Shotguns caught my eye. The article is about Grouse Guns handed down from generation to generation in the family.

If you have time peruse the article it's a good one. Most of my guns are legacy type shotguns passed down thru many generations in our family, it does seem that Grouse hunters favor this Legacy of good double guns passed down thru their families. In our family the guns are L.C. Smith for the most part.

My brother liking the Browning O/U guns has started his own tradition with his Browning guns.

Is your family a Legacy type Shotgun family?

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

No,

Dad (born in 1911) was a career Marine having been through WWII and on,
and he did not hunt.

My children shoot and have their own guns, but do not hunt.

Mike

tramroad28
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Nope...scatterguns change, people change, interests change, environments change, tall tales change and so on.

I could easily say tho, that being able to hunt...or shoot...with a shotgun or rifle or handgun of a relative, to let that waiting shotgun, for example, serve it's intended purpose once again.....would be a very good thing.

I am envious of any scattergun tradition...whether it be real or simply one that was artfully crafted in order to impress.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

TR28,
You are definitely welcome to your opinion, no matter how sick it really is.

Mike,

I fully understand your position!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:15 am  Reply with quote

It was a nice article.

There is a upland hunting legacy in my family that goes back to my Grandfather and he started me on grouse and woodcock hunting and Ryman type setters. However, his collection of Fox shotguns had been taken in for servicing just before he passed away and my Dad never found them.

My Dad deer hunted but did little upland hunting. I do a lot of upland hunting and started a new collection of shotguns at a young age and both of my sons use one of those guns. My oldest granddaughter will start to hunt next year and my oldest grandson in a couple of years. I still have the little SKB Ithaca 20 I bought for my sons to start with so the grandkids will also start with that gun.

I have cobbled together a composed pair of side by sides that I use and one will go to each son and I have two grandsons. So while there is not much of a family legacy for shotguns, there is for upland hunting and a few of my guns are on the 2nd generation with plans for a third generation.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Flues16
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:07 am  Reply with quote

I have the Winchester M1897 my great-grandfather bought in 1901. I'm not sure what he hunted with it, but I know my grandfather, father and older brother used it on squirrels. That's 118 years and four generations.

Unfortunately, there is no fifth generation to leave this gun to, other than my cousin's kids who would probably call the SWAT team if I mentioned something about a gun.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:36 am  Reply with quote

Our family legacies are quite modest...a Jap 7.7 rifle brought back by USMC vet, 1906 Savage 99 22HP, a funky M12, oh yes, one more thing:

A CIVIL WAR GAR SWORD HANDED DOWN TO A FIFTH GENERATION NAMESAKE!!

Cheers,
B.
robp
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

Ithaca Flues 12 gauge hand down to my dad then to me
I'm in the same boat no kids no family members who are interested in shooting or hunting
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster, Cool that you have the sword but what is a gar sword?
We have a relatives enlistment/ discharge papers and his powder flask

Researcher
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Grand Army of the Republic.

Being an ultra only child I have my Father's firearms, my Maternal Grandfather's rattly old W.H. Davenport 12-gauge single-barrel, and one Uncles 2nd generation Colt Woodsman Target.

Dad's AE-Grade Remington Hammerless Double, his favorite shotgun, his VH-Grade Parker Bros. waterfowl gun, Uncle Irv's Colt.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

I lost my son nine years ago this month. He wasn't a hunter, but I would have liked to pass my dad's gun to him anyway. My daughter isn't a hunter or shooter either, but her husband is a hand gun shooter and I'm just now getting him interested in shotguns. He'll probably get one of my guns someday, but not my dad's.

My dad bought two Savage 775a autoloaders in the early 50's; one for him and one for my oldest brother, both in 16ga. Dad's is the gun I learned to shoot on, and for years it was the only shotgun I owned. My brother later gave his to one of his sons, and for years he tried to buy dad's gun from me to give to his other son. Even though I haven't taken that gun afield in years, I just couldn't turn loose of it. I've decided, though, that I am going to give it to my nephew, maybe this fall on our SD trip if it comes together. My only regret is that my brother passed away a couple of years ago and never got to see my nephew get the gun

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

The author of the article in the RGS magazine was writing about the Winchester O/U guns handed down thru her family for Grouse hunting. Her point was that the guns mean so much more because of the family history of Grouse hunting with them. Of course this was an RGS article, the same could be said for the Pheasant Forever hunters or the Quail Unlimited members families. Our family is much the same only with SXS double guns, used for Grouse hunting and all other upland hunting also. So the article caught my eye. Whether you are just starting your Legacy gun tradition or it has been going on for many generations the author believes the guns mean something special, especially to the current owner. In this particular families case, she prizes her O/U Winchester guns.

I do agree with her, many times when I use our L.C. Smith guns, I have fond memories of my Father and Grandfather, as I hunted together with them. The family history passed down of their Fathers and Grandfathers hunting with them, using the same guns, is also very interesting. In the authors case her guns were made in the 50's and 60's, in mine some were made as far back as the late 1800's.

The authors point was that she believed her guns meant more to her because they were passed down to her. Some people could care less about the history of their guns, in many Grouse hunting families, it does mean a great deal. Being able to own and use these guns, that were passed down thru the family becomes a family tradition.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Some beautiful family guns posted in this thread. My autoloader days are long gone but fin2feathers that photo is excellent and a gun I would happily carry afield.

I did read the RGS article. Agree there are also legacy guns for pheasant, quail and waterfowl family traditions.

My father remains in good health in his late 70s and continues to bird hunt often. He has always been a 12ga autoloader fan and there has been a variety of guns over the years. His old 1100 is the only gun he has not traded for something else. He has never said anything to me and I suspect my younger brothers, who shoot 12ga autoloaders, would be more interested in such a gun. So, there are no legacy family guns coming my way and I'm fine with that.

All that said I would say the history of the old double guns I use is of great interest to me. I'm well beyond the "just another gun" stage of gun ownership. A different twist from the RGS article but similar emotional connection a hunter may have about the history of their gun.
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Family circumstances of mine don't yield a hunting legacy before or after me. However, a life-long buddy has a remarkable one. He regularly shoots and hunts two guns owned by his grandfather, then his father and now him. His adult son regularly hunts with him and someday will have these guns. The two guns are a Remington Model 32 with skeet barrels in all gauges made by Simmons. It was bought by his grandfather in the 1930s. Decades ago, I recall seeing his late dad shoot the 32 on a dove field; I've seen my buddy get a limit of dove with the .410 barrel and less than a box of shells. The other gun is a Browning 20 ga. Superposed bought by his grandfather in the early 50's. It is the predecessor to the Browning Diana grade.
Here's the 32 with a 20 ga. barrel and a two gun limit of woodcock and a single. Other guns are my 1905 16 ga. E&G Higham and 20ga. R10 Darne. Gil
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57587_800x550/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55738_800x600/] [/URL]
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
Family circumstances of mine don't yield a hunting legacy before or after me. However, a life-long buddy has a remarkable one. He regularly shoots and hunts two guns owned by his grandfather, then his father and now him. His adult son regularly hunts with him and someday will have these guns. The two guns are a Remington Model 32 with skeet barrels in all gauges made by Simmons. It was bought by his grandfather in the 1930s. Decades ago, I recall seeing his late dad shoot the 32 on a dove field; I've seen my buddy get a limit of dove with the .410 barrel and less than a box of shells. The other gun is a Browning 20 ga. Superposed bought by his grandfather in the early 50's. It is the predecessor to the Browning Diana grade.
Here's the 32 with a 20 ga. barrel and a two gun limit of woodcock and a single. Other guns are my 1905 16 ga. E&G Higham and 20ga. R10 Darne. Gil
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57587_800x550/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55738_800x600/] [/URL]

Gil S
Could you post a picture of the Higham for me so I can pass it along to a buddy. He has a 12 ga Higham and you don’t see too many of these guns.

Good Hunting,
Mike