16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Muller chokes
browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

I'm confident I'll be very happy!

Browning citori grade 6 28" 16 gauge
1stgun
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

I have no statistics or empirical evidence to offer, but, I can say that experience with the Muller chokes that I have purchased have hit birds, clay and live, harder and more consistently than the factory Browning chokes that came with my Citori.

Chuck

browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Yes msm2019 I read several horror story's but read 100x more very happy fella's with there tubes.

tdnathens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

(MSM2019) When you are listing your choke ID's it would be interesting to know the bore diameter you are using for your + and - figures. I don't understand your complaining about the small differences in Briley and Trulock choke diameters. When I order 16 gauge chokes from Briley I usually specify .005 difference between each choke. Some guns we use chokes .002 apart on the more open chokes. Our patterning shows as little as .002 can make a big difference when changing from one brand of shell to another. I glad that the large diameter difference between Muller chokes fitted your wants. That in no way means Briley and Trulock are doing a disservice to us by having multiple diameters to choose from. I believe that's why they are successful in selling chokes. I find like you that the size marked on a factory Browning chokes means nothing. I have seen their skeet tubes tighter than modified, modified more open than improved cylinder and etc. They only consistence I find in 16 gauge Browning tubes is their full tube is always really full and then some. I hope when you pattern the Muller chokes they give you what you want.
Tom
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:22 am  Reply with quote

Bore diameter of both barrels is 0.666".

Sure no issue on the patterning. I am guessing next week.

I really don't want to get into a choke tube pi**ing contest, I am only answering the questions that browningsweet161977 has asked.

So let's not make this a Muller vs Briley vs Trulock thread.

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:55 am  Reply with quote

I owned a couple Citori 16's and Browning did indeed have no logic to the constrictions on those tubes. I think a lot of folks had a knee-jerk reaction to the DS Invectors on the new A5's (SW16's) and cried for new tubes without even trying the Browning factory DS tubes. I've been well satisfied with my factory DS tubes and the people I know who are actively hunting and shooting the new DS tubes have been happy with them, too.
tdnathens
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 am  Reply with quote

(MSM2019) I have nothing against Muller chokes. I've shot them a lot and they give as good a pattern as anything we've used. You just don't have as many choices to cover different loads and shot sizes. When Muller's give the pattern we want with the load we've chosen we use them with great success. There's no doubt that they win many shoots. I think I remember that Muller constriction sizes in 16 gauge are based a .668 bore.
Tom
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:43 am  Reply with quote

tdnathens,

.668" and my bores are .666" hmmmmmmm. Anybody wanna buy my Mullers?

Seriously, I think you are missing the point of this thread. It has to do with the fact that the OP bought some Muller chokes and just wanted to know if anyone liked them, had trouble with them and if anyone put #6 lead shot through them......and then I took it off topic by adding my 2 cents which i am now regretting.

browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019, I really appreciate your response to my original post and your input of your successful shooting of different loads. Without your reply I would still be nervous about these chokes.
I'm sorry I got you in a mess with off topic debates.
Thank you again your input was super helpful!
Joe

Square Load
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:27 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I think a lot of folks had a knee-jerk reaction to the DS Invectors on the new A5's (SW16's) and cried for new tubes without even trying the Browning factory DS tubes. I've been well satisfied with my factory DS tubes and the people I know who are actively hunting and shooting the new DS tubes have been happy with them, too.

I know I am slightly off topic here but feel my experience might be similar to what is happening with the 16ga. Browning DS choke tubes.

I bought a 12ga. 725 a couple years ago. After reading all the "bad" comments about Browning DS choke tubes, most of them made by a guy named Randy over on SGW, I bought some Trulock chokes for the gun because I knew the factory DS tubes had to be junk. After receiving them I went out and patterned them. I am talking about shooting at a 4' x 4' piece of paper at 40 yds, making a 30" circle over the center of the pattern and counting pellets type patterning. The Trulock skeet chokes threw a pattern with light modified percentages, I/C threw I/Mod percentages and Mod threw patterns that are normally considered Extra Full Turkey.

Next I went through the same drill with the Browning DS tubes and guess what, all the choke tubes threw pattern percentages that were equal to or slightly tighter than what the choke tube was labeled. Not only were the percentages what they were supposed to be but they were all beautiful, evenly distributed patterns. If you read Browning's web site this is how they say they arrived at the restrictions that the DS tubes are made with.

This took me the better part of a day to do this as I shot 3 patterns with each tube and then sat there and counted pellets for a half a day. I think I would sooner sit on my front porch and watch my grass grow than go through this but it is the only true way to know what your choke tubes are doing.

The folks at Trulock were real nice and took their tubes back and refunded my money. I have been shooting my factory DS tubes and have been completely satisfied with them. I think the same thing may be going on with the 16ga. DS tubes as anyone who has been over at SGW has been reading the bad comments, most of them made by a guy named Randy. Not one time has he ever said anything about counting pellets and figuring percentages.

Sorry this got so long guys.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Square Load,

I wish my Citori had the DS chokes unfortunately they are the Invector with no parallel section. They are super short conical chokes with no degree of quality. They throw the worst patterns with no discernable difference between skeet 1, I/C and mod. My I/C threw tighter patterns than my mod. did.

Briley and Trulock chokes were only marginally better as far as pattern percentages.

I have another shotgun with Briley Thin Walls and they are wonderful.

Square Load
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 am  Reply with quote

[quote="MSM2019"]Square Load,

I wish my Citori had the DS chokes unfortunately they are the Invector with no parallel section. They are super short conical chokes with no degree of quality. They throw the worst patterns with no discernable difference between skeet 1, I/C and mod. My I/C threw tighter patterns than my mod. did.

I also own a 16ga. Citori and agree with you.

In my previous post I was responding to what Dave had said about the DS chokes.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:16 am  Reply with quote

Dennis,

Gotcha, All I have heard are good things about the DS chokes.

Square Load
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

You must not spend any time on the Shotgun World Forums Shocked Rolling Eyes

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

I do but I don't pay attention to much of it.