16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New federal 16ga ammo
Emtymag
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

I came upon 3 boxes of federal 16ga #7.5 1165fps at Walmart today while running errands with the kids and couldnt resist the urge to buy them. These are in the new box with the new “hazmat” markings. I cut one open tonight after the kids were in bed. The shot was horrible, literally the worst Ive seen in a factory load. Some stuck together, some oval, some round none of it really the same size as each other. Strange 2 piece wad also, but I’m new to the 16ga and lead shell dissecting. Weighed the powder after I dug all clumps out from the hull and it was 14.3gr. I know this is a sample of one, but really federal...

Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Well, u got me thinking. Would their estate line be the same so I cut one open. The powder was in tight, had to dig it out but seemed fine. also weighed out at 14.3. Its round and flat so wondering if its unique since they own alliant.Also has the 2 piece wad. I think that's been around for decades. The 8 shot looked good too. Bright and shiny and very uniform. weighed out at 440 gr so about within 1 bb of 1 oz. Now I'm wondering if its exactly the same load as the Federals, just different printing on the outside?? For those that use unique in a 1 oz load, how much do you need to get to 1165?