16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Tried my first lead loads...
Emtymag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

I bought 75lbs of shot from a guy at work really cheap and tried loading my first lead shot reloads. I reloaded some steel shot with success and have been reloading Metallic cartridges for 20 years. I have limited 16ga reloading supplies on hand but the rest is due to show up from grafs on Thursday.

I tried a few loads from Lyman’s, one at a time

Once fired fed or ched
universal and longshot
1oz #8
Win and fed209a
Rem sp16

My load stack height is about 1/4” + too low resulting in a severely over crimped hull.

The loads do not specify a nitro card, even if it did I feel that I’d need 2 or 3 of them.

The wads I have are old rem sp16, dark blue and in a rectangular card board box. Are these too old and have been updated at some time?

What am I missing?

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:31 am  Reply with quote

Can you share the details of the recipe you loaded? Sorry for the dumb question to someone loading for years, but; did you weight/hand verify the powder and shot? Was the wad called out SP16 or RP16?

Sometimes with the larger volume hulls and older published data the (now discontinued) RP16 with longer Crush Section was spec'ed into the recipe to fill extra space. I have some RP16's and the CS is ~1/4" longer than the SP16.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:37 am  Reply with quote

The SP16 wad is the issue. It was made for 1 1/8 oz. loads and fits much better in Remington hulls.

Two wads that will work perfectly with the components you have and there is reload data on the Hodgdon website, here: https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Gualandi BRG 16/21 - Ballistics Products #072SG16, Precision Reloading #TUWG2116

B & P Z2/M16 - Ballistics Products #020Z16, Precision Reloading #TUWZ2M16GA

The wads are also available at other places, Graf & Sons is one.

Adding card, felt or fiber wads inside the shot cup is OK as many as you need. 24 ga. for the 16 works best.

Emtymag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:05 am  Reply with quote

Yes everything was weighed on a digital scale that was calibrated.

I also tried 1 1/8oz but that didn’t seem right either as the shot was over the wad but the stack height was still way to low.

I have 500 waa 1-1 1/8oz wads and 250 sg16 wads coming from Grafs that will hopefully clear this all up.

The wads I currently have only say Remington power piston one piece wads.
I’ll try to post some pictures.
[URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/jtd84118/media/F52C0C24-8621-4429-A93A-0A3CC4235E97_zpsz7jpxu5i.jpeg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/jtd84118/media/6696BC2E-FC2C-4D7E-BDEA-C7E1A95C4F79_zpsp6ljhn8a.jpeg.html] [/URL]

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:09 am  Reply with quote

The sg16 wad is the one you will need for Straight walled hulls

From the hodgdon site for the Federal hull

Hodgdon Universal Fed. 209A BPG/BP 22.0 8,200 PSI 1,220

Hodgdon Universal Fed. 209A BPG/BP 23.5 9,200 PSI 1,275
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Emtymag,

That is an SP16....not guessing on this........the order number for those wads matches up with 29934 printed on the box.....and I have loaded several thousand since 1987.

You can find the order number of Remington wads on the Remington website. Along with the order number is the SP16, RP12, SP12 and so on, that we know the wad by.

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, you are using the SP wad and the better wad would be the RP wad.

To get around the volume issue, just place a Cheerio in either the bottom of the wad cup or over the shot.

I prefer under the shot (bottom of the wad cup) but my Texan press allows me to do so.

I am now 70 and have many thousands of SP wads and needed some softer recoil way to use them up Smile

Mike

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:46 am  Reply with quote

Agree w/Skeettx & MSM, its an SP, I like those blue ones, and the cheerio stack up fix.

The WAA will still be a little narrow in the Fed and Ched style hulls but will, like the SP, contain most if not all the shot where the SG16 will not and you will get some scrub.

John1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

I loaded for the upcoming dove season:
RGL hull
20 gr. Universal
WW 209
SG16 wad
1 oz 71/2
Crimps were perfect and coincidentally, i had just loaded the same hull with Longshot,
SP16 wad and 1 1/8 oz of 5's and the crimps were very good too and I made no adjustment to the crimping stations. i love when that happens and wonder if I got lucky and what other peoples crimping experience are when changing loads.

John
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:58 am  Reply with quote

As long as the hull is the same and the wad column height is similar adjustments aren't necessary. possibly a small adjustment to crimp depth.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:06 am  Reply with quote

John1 wrote:
I loaded for the upcoming dove season:
RGL hull
20 gr. Universal
WW 209
SG16 wad
1 oz 71/2
Crimps were perfect and coincidentally, i had just loaded the same hull with Longshot,
SP16 wad and 1 1/8 oz of 5's and the crimps were very good too and I made no adjustment to the crimping stations. i love when that happens and wonder if I got lucky and what other peoples crimping experience are when changing loads.

John

John, those both look like good loads. What is the velocity on the Longshot load?
John1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Dave, been hunting this weekend so took a while to get back. That Longshot load is suppose to be around 1240 fps though I have not chronographed it. it seems to be a really good load as it patterns well and will cycle through both my M12 and 1148.

John
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:20 am  Reply with quote

John1 wrote:
Dave, been hunting this weekend so took a while to get back. That Longshot load is suppose to be around 1240 fps though I have not chronographed it. it seems to be a really good load as it patterns well and will cycle through both my M12 and 1148.

John

Thanks!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Keep in mind that with Longshot and straight walled hulls, that powder is going to leak past either of the two wads listed (WAA16 or SP16) like water. The WAA 16's have a deep powder cup and can be pre-flared to cure it (a bit tedious). The SG16 wad is wider and a much easier choice for what you are doing if you want to use Longshot.