16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  FAIR Iside Reviewed
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:32 am  Reply with quote

I know this gun has a pretty good following on here (wish they would make a POW, single trigger) and noticed a review of the 28 ga Iside in the August "American Rifleman". Although in the wrong gauge, their review was thorough and quite positive.

rkittine
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Sorry, I must have hit NEW TOPIC, but see my response in my other post.

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister

Cheaper Than Dirt has solved 1/2 of your problem. The list the 16ga Iside with single selective trigger. The picture shows a double trigger gun but I called and they assured me the gun had a single selective trigger.

Unfortunately they the only stock available from them is English. Like you, I'd rather have a POW. I suspect you can find some who can order one with the stock you want if you are willing to wait.

Their price is pretty good and they claim to have them in stock. Despite my preference, I can shoot a straight stock and I'm tempted.

Bill
rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:19 am  Reply with quote

You could order a Dickenson from their custom shop and get it exactly they way you want it. Takes about 7-10 months for a Non-Engraved receiver and 2 years plus for an engraved one.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

rkittine wrote:
You could order a Dickenson from their custom shop and get it exactly they way you want it. Takes about 7-10 months for a Non-Engraved receiver and 2 years plus for an engraved one.

Bob

I did that Dickinson custom order years ago. Really nice gun with very pretty wood. I tried to order one with engraving and a nickel finish, but Dickinson USA said the engraver quit and they wouldn't take the order. That rebuff led to the Fausti I recently got.

16 ga Dickinson Estate with single trigger and POW stock.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:45 am  Reply with quote

I don't know if it's the fit, balance, or if it's the swamped rib forcing me to look only at the target, but my 30" 16 gauge Iside is the best shooting SxS I've ever owned. The long lean barrels point perfectly when I remember not to look at them.

The FAIR guns have been called the 'Chevy' of the Rizzini line, and I think it's a reasonable assessment. I was raised in Chevys, so this is my comfort zone and I hope to put a whole bunch of wear and tear on it.
Pockets
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:48 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I don't know if it's the fit, balance, or if it's the swamped rib forcing me to look only at the target, but my 30" 16 gauge Iside is the best shooting SxS I've ever owned. The long lean barrels point perfectly when I remember not to look at them.

The FAIR guns have been called the 'Chevy' of the Rizzini line, and I think it's a reasonable assessment. I was raised in Chevys, so this is my comfort zone and I hope to put a whole bunch of wear and tear on it.

I like that 'Chevy' thing.
My comfort zone, as well...in feel, heft, price and the going bang at the right moment.

Here's to a bunch more 'bangs' Dave.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:09 am  Reply with quote

Pockets wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

My comfort zone, as well...in feel, heft, price and the going bang at the right moment.

Thanks, John. I've been experimenting at home with my slip-on pad, and this thing seems to mount smoothest with 15" LOP which considerably more than my normal length. I'll see how the longer LOP does at the range, and I'm sure a compromise length will be in order for wearing more than a t-shirt.

Last edited by double vision on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Pockets
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:37 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Pockets wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

Thanks, John. I've been experimenting at home with my slip-on pad, and this thing seems to mount smoothest with 15" LOP which considerably more than my normal length. I'll see how the longer LOP does at the range, and I'm sure a compromise length will in order for wearing more than a t-shirt.

Mine is perfect at 15 1/8" as advertised. I shot shorter for years, not realizing what my body required for what some experts say is optimum. Some experts may be right.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Mine might have to live with the slip-on pad set longer in the summer and perhaps 1/4-1/2" shorter as the layers go on.
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:02 am  Reply with quote

On 25 July I commented on the Iside available from Cheaper Than Dirt and described myself as tempted despite the English stock. I went crazy and bought one. I wanted the single selective trigger the gun was advertised with but despite being assured by the nice lady at CTD that the gun had a single trigger, it arrived with two. I more that half expected this to happen as people have no idea what they are selling anymore especially at a place like that.

Since I'd kinda expected it, the two triggers weren't a deal breaker. The wood was better than expected. Fit and finish were acceptable. The advertised weight of the gun was 6 lbs 6 oz. The actual weight of my gun was 5 lbs 15 oz. The triggers were extremely light and both broke at about the same weight. I don't have a trigger pull gauge but I'd guess between 3 and 3.5 lbs. Came with C, IC and M chokes and a nice choke wrench.

I cleaned the gun, remove the Mod. choke and installed the Cylinder choke. I ran to the club and shot 3 rds of skeet. I used 3/4oz and 7/8 oz hand loads and a box of Remington Factory 1.0 oz. Despite the light weight and straight stock, recoil was not unpleasant even with the 1 oz loads.(I'm 5' 10" and 150 lbs and I do notice recoil.) Function was perfect. With the splinter fore end I'll have to start wearing a shooting glove on my left hand as the barrels became pretty darn hot by station 4.

Despite the open chokes, many targets were ink balled even with the 3/4 oz loads. The good new was that both barrels seemed to shoot right where I was looking. I don't pattern guns unless targets aren't breaking.

I had 5 pierced primers with the factory Remington 1 oz loads. I examined my hand loads (Winchester and Remington cases) and found none.

It will take a while to remember there is a second trigger (haven't used a double trigger gun since the 70s) but despite that, the scores were acceptable at 23, 24 and 23.

This isn't as nice a gun as the SKB (Akus) doubles but then it doesn't cost nearly as much. Fit and Finish are considerably better than the CZ guns I've shot.

After 3 boxes of shells I'm pleased with the gun. Hopefully it will hold together.

Bill
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Great review, thanks.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."