16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wads for 2 1/2" Trap Loads
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Just a quick report, I switched from the SG16S to the Z-16 (aka Trap Commander) in my 1 oz 2 1/2" trap loads and my scores jumped from 83 to 94. Pretty much as advertised, actually.

Most of the SG16S misses are straightaways, which makes sense since they are farthest away and lowest pellet-target closing velocity. Z-16 has eliminated straightaway misses. The remainder are 'pilot error'. Next step - get to 100, which seemed out of reach with the SG-16S

Z-16 Velocity increased about 40 FPS to 1280, maybe that is part of the reason? That probably indicates higher pressure as well, but the SG-16S load was 9500 PSI and I'm shooting M12, A5 and Citori so I'm not overly concerned.

Z-16 crimps as well as the SG-15S in the 2 1/2" FIO hulls. I will probably stay with the SG-16S for skeet and field use, both are GREAT wads for 2 1/2" loads.

BTW, thanks all for the Trap Shooting tip responses to a previous post of mine, they were all extremely helpful. Most important seems to be pre-focusing eyes at target distance, not house distance, and seeing the target with BOTH eyes...before pulling the trigger!

B.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Just a note here Brewster 11.

After the dust settles, you are probably going to find out that the 83 to 94 jump is because you are improving.

There is hardly a difference in the way those two wads perform, unless you have one really finicky shotgun.

Congrats on getting your scores up into the mid-90's. SOunds like you are on your way to 'A' class.

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:41 am  Reply with quote

Although I agree with MSM regarding the small differences in the wads...if it works don't fix it, congrats on the improvement, well done. Still working toward my first 100 in Trap as well.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:03 am  Reply with quote

I've found that the Z-16's and the 12 gauge version do pattern tighter in my guns. Thanks for the share, Brewster.