16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  HELP - Need Firing Pin
Cahoonje
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:47 am  Reply with quote

I know that this is a 16 ga. group, but within this group there is a wealth of knowledge so I am treading outside this area and asking for help with a 12 ga.

I am looking for a firing pin for a 12 ga. O/U American Arms. Local gunsmith has supposedly been looking for over 7 months. I have the gun and it is easy enough to replace the pin. I will probably replace the spring also. Guns specifics are:

American Arms, Silver Sporting
The barrel is labeled "Silver Competition"
Manufacturer: Pierino Bettinsoli Gardone, V.T. Italy
Importer: American Arms Inc., 715 Armour Rd., N. Kansas City MO 64116
Gun was made somewhere between 1992 and 1996.
Firing Pins Part#783470A
Firing Pin Springs Part#783480B

I would appreciate any help that you can provide,
Jodie
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:29 am  Reply with quote

This might sound a bit niave and obvious but have you tried contacting the importer directly. Sometimes they have an inventory of those parts subject to wear and breakage like springs, firing pins, extractor, or ejectors/springs. They might even be able to assist you in ordering one directly. They may also have an arrangement with a domestic gunsmith service to repair the gun, Then I would order two sets of pins and springs for each barrel. That will typically get you through at least 20-30 years of use in the average hunting and recreational firearm. Good luck.
Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:32 am  Reply with quote

If you have to you could make one yourself from oil hardening tool steel I've done it before.
Cahoonje
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:29 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
have you tried contacting the importer directly.

My understanding is that American Arms is no more. Internet search seems to confirm this belief.
I know that I can have a firing pin made, which will address my immediate need, but I was hoping to find a part source for American Arms as it is just a matter of time before I need another part for this gun. I found Gun Parts Corporation in NY, which claims “The World's LARGEST Supplier of Firearm Parts & Accessories”, but they are out of this part and have been for some time. Firing pin is only $7.70 if it was in stock.
I will keep hoping and looking at the post to see if someone knows of a supplier for parts.

Thanks
popplecop
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Seems to me a good smith should be able to make one. Jack First is another large supplier of gun parts.
Cahoonje
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Thanks PC.
Yeah I know a gunsmith can get me past my immediate need, but I am also trying to find a part supplier for this Italian made gun for future woes.
I tried Jack First, but no luck. Also, they did not know of anyone who imports the gun.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:50 am  Reply with quote

You know, these AM. Arms guns seemed very similar to the Charles Daly line of Italian guns. There are other US importers too that sold extremely similar Italian O/U guns from the '70s on. The barrelled actions were so similar, I'd bet they were all produced by the same maker and sold in the white to assembly plants for stocking and finishing. I'll bet the parts are almost identical. I don't know if the parts would interchange, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look. I would not be surprized if the same Italian parts house made the firing pins for all these generic Italian o/u guns. That is how many of the less expensive Italian guns are made, by piece work. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Cahoonje
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Thanks 16GG! I will give it a try Smile
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Let us know how you make out. This could be very valuable info if my hunch pans out.