16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2019 hunting season photos-- lets see them
Stack16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

O.K. nobody started it for this year so guess I will- lets see them. I will have to call Skeetx to walk me thru it as he is the one that helped me with it last year is no longer available.

Griff

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

www.jpgbox.com

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stack16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

My grandson Mason's (10yr old) first deer during the youth season...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sjPFYEFvqSs5eVycwvYojFTMybxHeWif/view?usp=sharing

My Son Jason with the day's haul... Mason's 2nd deer is on the left, Jason's buck in the middle and daughter Michelle's on the right...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ISolydybdRIM026BFl_6d6i6Ib7tGMV3/view?usp=sharing

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Great harvest
Thank you for sharing
Mike

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Great to see a young fellow get his first deer. That’s a lot of venison for the freezer.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Purple16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

[url=https://postimg.cc/kDh9Q57w] [/url]

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/plJso6tyj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pn5sBEjOj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pn6QVg1qj] [/URL]

I need to get better about taking pictures, but I did manage these which include my three 16 gauge guns.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Purple great picture !! Would make a wonderful Christmas card .

Dave looks like you are having a good season , nice looking guns .
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

I agree Purple that looks more like an artist drawing. Great pic nice job on the roosters Dave Joe
67galaxie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:

I agree!
Stack16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

67galaxie wrote:
fn16ga wrote:

I agree!

I'd have agree as well

Stack16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago Mike,
Actually my grandsons first deer was last year, that pic. was his first deer this yr. during the early youth season and I was able to get him back during the reg. season to finish tagging out. The late youth started today and he was ready to go again, I had to explain that he was tagged out.
A hopefully short story, while on stand behind this big log for a hide before he got his 2nd deer, there were two other deer that come out about 100 yds. give or take a few, he eased into the gun and I whispered shoot the one in the back ( as it was bigger) Blam he shoots and both deer ran across the field tails waving bye, bye and making 90 ft. a jump. I was in disbelieve as they were not hit in any way, I had always told him to go up the front leg with the cross hairs and shoot just above the little elbow on the shoulder. I ask him where did you put the cross hairs, he said you told me to shoot it in the back, the gun shoots a bit high any way. I can't begin to describe how I felt as that is what I told him and I couldn't believe that he didn't go up the front leg as I thought I had drilled into him, in hind sight I should have reiterated go up the front leg.
Any way about the time my blood pressure came down about a half hr. later this other deer come out about 45 yds. away and seen us and turned quartering to us, I knew that it was about take off so I told him to shoot it in the neck just in front of the shoulder and that where he hit it and it went right down he lets out a great big sigh of relief that he was able to do it. I was relieved as well and proud that he had done it.
I glad that story is over as I am making a lot of mistakes.

Griff

I took so long to write this story with one finger that it done a time out on me or kicked me off and I thought I had lost it as it ask me to sign in again I had to back it and back it till I found the story and copied it and pasted it in the post.

Griff

Purple16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Stack16 wrote:
67galaxie wrote:
fn16ga wrote:

I agree!

I'd have agree as well

Thanks guys. I like it as well but was just taking a photo at the time. Several friends along with my wife have the same opinions as you have expressed.

Sometimes you just get lucky.

I'm lucky to have a great dog, nice gun and days to spend with both.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
slowpokebill
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:20 am  Reply with quote

was lucky enough to draw one of 3 pronghorn tag in small hunting
CWMU unit here in Utah.
Utah has a program where you can mentor youths and share your tag. I did that this year and mentored my 13 year old grandson on his first big game hunt letting him hunt under my supervision and use my tag.
I had scouted the unit several times and had found some decent bucks. Anyone would make a good first Antelope for a young man.
Our hunt started Friday morning. I had taken a drive around the unit Thursday afternoon and had spotted what might be the best buck I have ever seen on the hoof. I just hoped I could find him again in the morning. As you know we did find him.
We spotted him bedded down on small hill about 1500 yards away. There was no way we could stock up the valley so we decided to leave him and go up on the plateau above him to make our stock blind. We hoped we could come in above him and get near him before he wandered off.
We got lucky and managed to hit the edge of the ridge about 125 yards from the still bedded down buck. I put my pack down and had Dallin get prone. The buck sensed something was up and stood up and trotted and my heart sank thinking he had made us and would bolt off to the next county. He only trotted a few steps a and stopped. Dallin, aimed what will now be his Ruger American Predator 6.5mm Creedmoor, fired and made a perfect shot. The buck went down where he stood. I doubt he heard the shot.
When I got close both down antelope, wow he was an impressive Pronghorn. I don't think my grandson fully appreciates just how impressive this buck is. We quartered him and very carefully caped him out. We packed all the meat and split up amongst the four of us. Dallin of course packed out the backstops, tenderloins and his trophy.

I took head and cape to the taxidermist this morning. We rough measured him at 86 inches. He will make book. Dallin shot the Pronghorn of a lifetime.

Sharing this experience and getting a young man started hunting was much more fulfilling than if I had shot this buck.

and here is another photo from this season. I'm sorry but it is a 28 gauge. I've had this little DeHaan 28 fo 12 years but I have never taken a good photo of it until this season.

Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:10 am  Reply with quote

Slowpokebill, Good for you for guiding your grandson,literally and figuratively on a special hunt. I'm sure you'll both remember it forever. No apologies needed on the 28 gauge pictures, at least with me. If anything,i'd like to see more of it. I know others here enjoy the heck out of it too. I've shot my low end CZ Bobwhite as good or better on birds this fall than any of my other guns.