16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 gauge cz sharptail inquery
gspbirdguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 am  Reply with quote

hi guys. was wondering if any in this group has any actual hands on experience with the new cz sharptail in 16. had had several cz ringnecks in the past. so i bought a 12 gauge in the new sharptail last year in dec as a dedicated waterfowl gun. 1 year later im quite happy with the product, and am thinking about expanding into the 16. excess weight is my biggest fear. i can deal with single trigger. fixed chokes are ok too. i really like the 12 in it's configuration. busts clays like no tomorrow, and the new updated style case colors are still in like new condition after 1 season of ducks and clays. any info would be helpful. thanks mattly.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

I've had one since Spring, picked it up through the CZ Military\LE program at a pretty decent discount.

I kept the case, box and packaging because had heard others having some issues with CZ guns in general, but their support is great if you need it. First hundred or so rounds shot 5 stand with it then went to the skeet field and realized it was piercing primers on the second round at about a 50% rate.

Sent an email and had a free shipping label in a couple of hours. In a few weeks had it back and no more pierced primers, they did a good job.

This summer shot the all you can shoot in one day buffet prior to the Great Northern and put ~300 rounds through my Win 23. Shot 50 after that with the Sharptail and realized just how poor the triggers were. Heavy and lot of slack. Never been sensitive to triggers before but likely because had shot so much that day it really jumped out at me. Had John Singer on here lighten them but more importantly take the slop out of them. And put on a kickeez recoil pad. He did a perfect job and very pleased with it now.

Shot it for clays often for the rest of the year and did well with it. It is heavier than my other 16's the heaviest by far. But that helps it swing so much better too...

Took it grouse hunting and used it for short walks once in awhile. Shot at 3 grouse with it and harvested all 3. With the second mod bbl. go figure glad the leaves were down. Pretty sure I was rushing the first shot. All in all I feel it was well worth the money. I have no regrets purchasing it.
gspbirdguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am  Reply with quote

thanks cold iron. any ideas on the weight it has. my 12 weighs 7lb 9 oz. nice weight for hunting or clays for me. my sterlingworth (has been restocked) weighs 7lb 2 oz. i would like to keep a new purchase closer to 7lb 4 oz for extended shooting, but still ok for carrying while hunting. sterlingworth is my go to for birds over dogs. thanks mattk

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

You convinced me to finally weigh it. It now has a Kick EEZ recoil pad on it which is at least 4-6 oz. heavier than the factory pad.

It comes in at 7 lbs. 13 oz. as is so from the factory likely it is 7.5 lbs. or a bit under. No wonder I can shoot 1 oz. loads through it with no recoil issues. Most of my 16's are down around 6 lbs. and I shoot 7/8 oz. in them. But plan on shooting the CZ a lot more in the coming year. And will be using 1 oz. loads.

Good luck hope that helps.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
You convinced me to finally weigh it. It now has a Kick EEZ recoil pad on it which is at least 4-6 oz. heavier than the factory pad.

It comes in at 7 lbs. 13 oz. as is so from the factory likely it is 7.5 lbs. or a bit under. No wonder I can shoot 1 oz. loads through it with no recoil issues. Most of my 16's are down around 6 lbs. and I shoot 7/8 oz. in them. But plan on shooting the CZ a lot more in the coming year. And will be using 1 oz. loads.

Good luck hope that helps.

Good way to shoot up all those Herter's. A guy needs at least one heavier 16 around for emptying factory loads. My M11 is my hull maker.
gspbirdguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks sir for doing that. Seems like it's identical to the rizzini 110i had in 16. Shot well with it. Barrels were installed wrong. One in top of the other. Kidding aside, rizini was nice. This is more to my liking in side by side. And yes. It's a great way to make purple hulls for reloads. Thanks Matt k

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Good way to shoot up all those Herter's. A guy needs at least one heavier 16 around for emptying factory loads. My M11 is my hull maker.

Good point Dave! Hmmm...now you have me pondering.....

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:

Hopefully this Saturday I can burn up some of those shells. With the snow doubt they will be setting the last 5 stand at Z, think that is already gone past us.

Going through withdraws here. If they don't throw birds for 5 stand at Z I am desperate enough to shoot skeet there. I need to smell burnt gunpowder. Jon will let us know if they are throwing or not Saturday. If not I am ready to make trips across the border to shoot 5 stand. Heated 5 stand. And a certain roadhouse in Wi. that is famous for lunch...
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:23 am  Reply with quote

The heated 5-stand is open every day 8-3 except Monday & Tuesdays.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

gspbirdguy wrote:
Thanks sir for doing that. Seems like it's identical to the rizzini 110i had in 16. Shot well with it. Barrels were installed wrong. One in top of the other. Kidding aside, rizini was nice. This is more to my liking in side by side. And yes. It's a great way to make purple hulls for reloads. Thanks Matt k
Ha! I have 2 B. Rizzini's Matt both in the wrong gauge, 12. And are target guns.

And 2 FAIR guns thank goodness at least one is in 16 there. That Dave Erickson guy is going to convince me to get my 3rd FAIR yet, this would be another in 16 ga. And the bbls. are aligned properly side by side. Have shot with him coming up on close to 20 years now. My mother was right, be careful of the friends you select...

I have no regrets. Very Happy
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Whispering Emerald Ridge has a decent 5 stand setup. Menomonie isn't all that far for you two (Dave & Mike). They run a 16 week Winter league. If I lived closer I would shoot that (but not this year as I will be elsewhere).

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:09 am  Reply with quote

fourtrax wrote:
Whispering Emerald Ridge has a decent 5 stand setup. Menomonie isn't all that far for you two (Dave & Mike). They run a 16 week Winter league. If I lived closer I would shoot that (but not this year as I will be elsewhere).

Yea, quail hunting you dirty dog. Exclamation