16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Book Recommendation - The Real Ryman Setter
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

If you own a Ryman or Old Hemlock Setter I highly recommend reading Walt Lesser and Lisa Weisse's book the Real Ryman Setter. Having grown up around George Ryman's Kennel on Rattle Snake Rd just off Rt 6 in Pa in the 50's, and having been taught how to Grouse hunt by my Grandfather and George Ryman, I have a serious understanding of the history of the Ryman Setter dogs and George Ryman as a breeder and Sportsman.

Walt and Lisa have put together a book that is the closest to the real history of the development of the Ryman Setter Dog as can be put into words. There is personal information that few people know and a little of it is actually in the book.

I wish to thank Walt and Lisa for their work, both on the book and for continuing the Ryman Setter gun dog line in both their kennels. I am very greatful that George Ryman's work is still alive in the dogs they have both bred for hunting Grouse. The genetics are still being passed down even today. George Ryman developed a Grouse Dog line with genetics so strong, that if you know where to purchase, you can still find his incredible Grouse dogs even today.

The book dispels a lot of the false information passed around about George and his business. Available on the Web the book is easy to order.

A book well worth reading.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

There is nothing like the magic of a Ryman Setter Grouse Dog!

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, my first English Setter came out of Walt's kennel, sired by his Ted dog, around 1988. I talk to him occasionally. I drove to Morgantown during a snowstorm a few years ago to go to a book signing for that book, and buy one from WALT. The storm was so bad that he coudnt make it in from elkins, . A great man, for whom I have a lot of respect.
Unfortunately, with the loss of my Betty dog last spring, I no longer have any of that bloodline.

old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

What false information or false book do you refer to specifically?

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

When I found out the book was in the works I ordered 8 copies and had Lisa and Walt sign all of them and then sent one to each friend that owned a Ryman type setter. Walt Lesser and his friends did a remarkable job of maintaining the blood line and Lisa has carried on that tradition while introducing some much needed new blood so the line did not collapse on itself. Walt currently runs a littermate (Iris) of my male Birch.

There are a number of other breeders that are also carrying on the tradition and you can find most of them at rymansetters.com

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:07 am  Reply with quote

Old Colonel,

There are a lot of stories told about George Ryman, some true some not true. George Ryman was one of the best wing shooters who ever lived, he truly was a living legend. It is true he and GBE did not get along, most sportsman believed it had to due with a horse or mule the GBE saw on the Ryman drive way that stated the entire thing. GBE did write about that happening. In reality that incident had little too due with what actually happened between the two men.

George Ryman worked very hard to develop his Ryman gun dog line, GBE wanted to start his own Old Hemlock line using Ryman Stock and then refine it to be what he wanted. George Ryman told GBE that he did not know enough about the Ryman breed line to try developing his own line. His statement was true and GBE had to return to the Ryman blood line more than once, using Blue to start his Old Hemlock line and Ryman's Blue Heather to save it later on.

I was never fortunate enough to have met Walt Lesser after George Ryman passed away. My Grandfather took George Ryman's death very hard, they were good friends. George Ryman gifted him one of his most talented Grouse dogs, for housing some of George's breed stock, to safe guard the Ryman Kennel from distemper. I learned to Grouse hunt behind that Ryman Setter female Orange Belton dog, her name was Maggie May. She was truly an incredible Grouse dog and slept at the foot of my bed when I was a boy.

Walt's & Lisa's book is as close to the real Ryman story as ever will be told.

Dave B - Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

There is nothing like the magic of a Ryman Setter Grouse Dog.
Pine Creek Ryman Daisy plays with Harold Bowman as he receives his Grouse from her. - Memories to last a life time.

Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Location: The Great Rustbelt, otherwise known as Northeastern Ohio

If there was a possibility of hunting behind your dogs, I would like to try it. I own a very middle-of-the road Brittany (9 months) and he is very birdy and headstrong. As in almost need a 2x4 to train him. Which is VERY different from the breed.

I have seen him go full tilt across the field and then catch scent. He plants both front feet and then turns to face the wind and has his head up. Full stop. I want so bad to take him to Michigan to run on Grouse. Pheasants he has no problem with. He has also been spured last month, and he never even slowed down.

Quail down south might also be fun, if he can keep from running after them after the flush. This is a problem I am working through right now with pheasant season here in Ohio. But he is.....only 9 months. Don't want to dull his flash and drive.

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Fox Sterlingworth 16 Bore
Franchi Falconet O/U 12 Bore
2 Antonio Zoli Field Grade 12 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Could have used one of those dogs today for my Christmas afternoon grouse hunt. I was still-hunting them, put one up and saw tracks in the snow from three more where they crossed the road. No clean shots, the upside being I don't have to clean the gun as thoroughly.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine,

Man if I lived in Maine I would own a bunch of Ryman Grouse Dogs, I live in Pa and still owns few!

Hope all is well in the north country!

Pine Creek/Dave

Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Location: The Great Rustbelt, otherwise known as Northeastern Ohio

Dave,

Was on Youtube and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWyEAT2L3cI

Old Hemlock and GBE. Made him out like a saint.

After talking with you on the phone, this video seemed to have a whiff of favoritism in it. You might like it for a laugh.

Now I want more than ever to get a Ryman line dog. But I still have a 9 month old Brittany to train!!

Crap.

Oh well, live and learn.

Roger

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Fox Sterlingworth 16 Bore
Franchi Falconet O/U 12 Bore
2 Antonio Zoli Field Grade 12 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

Roger,

Please understand GBE was one of my family friends, I thought a great deal of him. My Grandfather and his father were very good friends and hunted together often. The legacy story is all true and GBE was a good man, I would never laugh at that film, in fact it's pretty darn nice. You will never hear me say anything negative about GBE or his father. George Ryman was my other Grandfathers good friend and I spent a lot of time in the Ryman home and kennel when I was a boy growing up. Both men were incredible people from different eras here in Pa and although they did not get along personally, they were both incredible dog men and fantastic ethical men in their own right.

If you would like a Ryman Setter type dog that can be arranged, contact Wyssfiresidesetters and put your name on the list for a pup. I have just purchased a pup from Mike myself, and can't wait for her to arrive here in Pa.

I waited to long to get another pup and my incredible Ryman Grouse dogs are hunting in heaven now, waiting to long was a big mistake on my part. October Setters also has nice Ryman Setter dogs to choose from also. Roger Brown at Old Hemlock has good Ryman Dogs also. However he wants to do the joint ownership arrangement to support the OH kennel.

When I get back on my feet again, you are welcome to come hunt with me and Ken and the other members of our Grouse Camp.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

tramroad28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

Roger Brown no longer is the prime contact for Old Hemlock setters, tho he would direct one appropriately.

Other than that, negative comments about dead guys would be better off placed in PMs than on a public message board.
imfho
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad,

Nobody is dissing anybody, you are highly mistaken if you think that is the case.
GBE and George Ryman were both friends of our family and both good men that I liked very very much.

Pine Creek/Dave