16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca 37.....add choke tubes?
dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:40 am  Reply with quote

Scraggely,

Good point. I have a less than stellar gauge and it's only really good for a perfunctory check. (Been waiting to use that word for a month now).

AND, as someone posted earlier, and I mentioned too, many a hunter has filled his bag with a Modified choked gun, long before they were aware that we should all be using IC and high end shells!

Weather is horrible today, but the 37 is going on a hunt soon. That should cement it into my regular battery. Usually does.

16'er
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:13 am  Reply with quote

Hard to believe this thread has gone on so far without any mention of:

https://polywad.com/spred-r-1
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

Top is 26" Mod but measures .012 pretty sure it has not been modified from the factory.

Middle is 26" IC and .009 do not believe it has been modified either.

Bottom is a prewar that Ohio Wirehair found for me. He knows I have a weakness for Ithaca 37 16 ga. guns. Had a factory poly choke on it and the previous owner cut it off measures about 25.5" now. When I bought it from the guy on gunbroker he told me that it has accounted for hundreds of grouse in Mi. but he is too old to hunt now. It actually measures just a little bit of choke ~.003-.004.

I can grab any of the 3 and shoot them as well, or poorly, as the others. Good luck when you take yours out hunting don't think about it and just shoot! If you think you stink when it comes to shooting Very Happy
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:55 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Go pattern it and see what it does. If it is good to go then roll with it.

+1

dannypratt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

I like that bottom 37 there....it may be a "tuned up" gun, but man oh man, looks like a grouse machine to me. And the early production makes it very sweet indeed. Those early guns really are nice, they just feel different. And they are incredibly light.

upstateduckman
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:02 am  Reply with quote

One thing I have seen said here in this thread many times and I alluded to in mine is that is your gun. Configure it how you like and don't look back. It is a tool just like any wrench or hammer, use it properly and all is well. Whether you get another barrel, tube it, or get another gun in a different choke is up to you. Or nothing at all and shoot it the way it is (modified is a great choice for most anything). The three choices above will almost net you the same amount of money with the combination of time and materials.

Many people here would also crucify you for any modifications. I am not one. But my 1949 gun got Briley tubes and to me it makes it more functional. You need to look at the end really hard to see it. I have used it for many different game animals.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:55 am  Reply with quote

First: contact the Ithaca @ Upper Sandusky, Oh., they have made a unit thatremoves the existing threads and install a new threaded component that accept their new made barrels with their choke tubes.

Second, I picked up a 20GA., M37, the barrel was missing the front bead and where the tapped hole should be, only a inder sized .25 hole.

So I took a pipe cutter and "bobbed' the barrel just past the hole,[TAKE YOUR TIME!]
had a spare Ithaca front sight and drilled a proper hole for tapping.
Installed the sight and removed the protruding stub with the buur from the pipe cutter.

Now I have a light MOD choke that on a trap line will cause Clays to "DISAPPEAR" when I do my job.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

Well...

I took it out and after patterning and shooting Clay's to totally confirm it...

It shoots TIGHT....real tight...closer to Full than Modified...

AND....

I dont like it nearly as much as my Remington 31 (which I didn't have 10yrs ago when I had a pile of Ithaca 37s.....I did have a 31L then...but I not THIS 31A have now...)

It's not a bad gun...its an Ithaca after all...but it's just not got that certain something, even though I dont know what that is exactly..

Just thought I'd update you fellas