16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Single Or Double Based Smokeless Powder Identification ?
scraggley
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

A recent comment regarding Fiocchi shotshell primers and single based smokeless powders prompted me to try and determine which of the dozens of smokeless powders I have used over the years are single or double based? None of these containers are labeled as such. Trying to search out the web results in rather spotty information. Has anyone run across a listing of this information? I have to note that my lack of such information has not impeded my 59+ years of handloading!

Art T

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

As for powder made in the USA/Canada, I don't believe there are anymore powders that are single based. The closest you get to single based is American Select which supposedly has only a tiny bit of nitro glycerin in it.

You have to go across the Atlantic to find single based powders. Vectan is the most available to the folks in the USA.

Single based are a little easier to light off and usually a bit cleaner burning but it really isn't a big deal. There are always trade offs. Double based are supposedly more stable and they have a better shelf life.

I tried the Vectan stuff. It is OK but nothing to get all excited about.

The debate about single and double based is splitting hairs from the users POV.

My comments are only directed towards powders commonly used for shotshells.

Winchester21
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

The Lyman Shotgun Reloading manuals describe the powders as to whether they are single or double base. You can also get on the powder manufacturer's website and they should tell you which the powder types are.
scraggley
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:30 am  Reply with quote

OK Win21 Thanks for the heads up re: powder information (single/double base) in Lymans Shotshell Manual. After acquiring my 5th edition I turned quick to the loading data and never took the trouble to peruse the large amount of data in the early chapters. Thanks for teaching an old dog some new trick!

Art T