16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Suitably of 28 ga
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hi guys , Shooting cancelled tomorrow due to death of one of my hunting partners mum , whose funeral is tomorrow, so got me thinking about new guns I have the chance to buy a Silma 28ga and was wondering is 28ga suitable for Pheasant hunting or would i be better going for a 20ga or sticking with a more modern 16ga , my current 16ga is vintage so looking for something easy carried but still able to knock down a a strong Pheasant, any thoughts would be good to hear, let's hear your thoughts.
All the best WJ.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

The 28 gauge will do quite well,
Why if you feel power shy, they now sell 1 ounce and
higher shotshells for the 28 gauge.

I have a flat of 1 ounce Winchester in 7 1/2 shot and one in 6 shot

Mike

FUN reading

https://shootingsportsman.com/todays-1-oz-28-gauge-loads/

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Mike , good to know I saw a 28ga advertised over hear and it looked like a good deal just wondering how they would knock down a Pheasant , Silma seam like a good enough Italian made gun so will have to look into this, can't help feeling like a traitor to the 16ga cause though ,thanks for your response WJ..
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

WJ,

Hope all is well and sorry about the passing of one of your buddies.

The 28 will get the job done if you are good with your gun and use the right shells. I like the B&P #6's and keep the shots inside 30 yards.

Now here is something to think about also. If you like your Classic 16 there is nothing wrong with the purchase of a more modern 16 gauge double gun like the Grade IV or V UGGIE. For the money one of the best modern SXS double guns around. Finding one will be more difficult now that they are no longer in business however.

Picking up are real nice L.C. Smith or J.P Sauer 20 gauge double gun would be another option, some real nice guns to choose form on the Net without even leaving your home.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

WJ, I hunt a lot of pheasants, and for me it starts with a 16 and goes up from there. 20 gauges are OK, but I wouldn't bother with a 28 gauge unless you plan on not shooting past 30 yards. I'm in the "use enough gun" camp when it comes to pheasants.
Researcher
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot Pheasants successfully with my RBL-28, but it wouldn't be my first choice for hunting wild Pheasants in North America. Are you planning on "shooting rough" or "driven birds."

df
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

I assume you are talking about wild pheasants not game farm. I have used one of my 28 ga guns a couple times. It worked just ok on real close shots, and I never tried and wouldn’t try it on shots over 30 yards.
In my view, the 28 ga is very marginal for pheasants. My pheasant hunting is done with 1 1/8 ounce loads in a16 ga or 1 1/4 ounce loads in a 12 ga.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Shot at a grouse with 1 oz 28 ga couple seasons back and my ears are still ringing. Crazy huge muzzle blast. Missed it BTW. Did bag another with it however. Great to carry in the brush.

B.
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:45 am  Reply with quote

wj jeffery 16 wrote:
Hi guys , Shooting cancelled tomorrow due to death of one of my hunting partners mum , whose funeral is tomorrow, so got me thinking about new guns I have the chance to buy a Silma 28ga and was wondering is 28ga suitable for Pheasant hunting or would i be better going for a 20ga or sticking with a more modern 16ga , my current 16ga is vintage so looking for something easy carried but still able to knock down a a strong Pheasant, any thoughts would be good to hear, let's hear your thoughts.
All the best WJ.

If you can kill them with your 16 you can kill them with a 28. No hunting for me anymore, but I also hunted primarily pheasants. It performed well, and I did not feel I was handicaping myself.

I used Winchester 1 oz number six shot.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:47 am  Reply with quote

WJ, Did you know theres a 28 gauge society website? Lots of good info on the 28 over there. Hevi shot is even now marketing a 1 oz bismuth load at 1350fps. I usually use the Winchester 1oz of 6's for pheasant but did take one this year with the Kent 7/8oz bismuth 6's. I think I've read most gamebirds are taken at 35yds and under so the 28 does fine in most situations.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/28gasociety/

Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:40 am  Reply with quote

I do a fair amount of pheasant hunting and like Dave I fall into the camp of a 16 and up for pheasant, even on game farm birds. My concern would be you might injure a lot of birds with a 28.

I sent you a PM on a gun for sale in your general neck of the woods.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:55 am  Reply with quote

I think the 28 is likely to be too little gun for pheasants, especially wild/non-stocked birds. Use enough gun. I wouldn't go less than a 20 gauge throwing a full ounce of lead.

Or, you could go the route of the client of one of my friends here. The friend recently finished restocking that client's matched pair (consecutive serial numbered) of 16 ga Purdeys. Can't go wrong with something like that. Very Happy (I've been after him to take and send pictures, but he's demurred. Sorry.)

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

I might as well chime in here too (simply can't help myself). I've had a 28 now for a couple of seasons and really like it. Very light, very quick, and surprisingly lethal (for how small the cartridges seem in one's hands and pockets). I've killed pheasant with it (on game farms) and even a ruffed grouse or two, but..., at least in my hands, it doesn't tend to kill as cleanly as my 12s do, or even my 16s. There has been lots of talk about how "square" the load is in a 28, and/or how it's ballistically similar-to or... even better than a 20. I don't know what to think about all that now. It seems to me (after a few forays with it) like it's a special-situation sort of firearm. Fun to own and shoot occasionally, but....it hasn't become my go-to choice. It's not like my 16 double is any cheaper to shoot (in many ways, proper 2 1/2-inch 16-gauge ammo is even harder to find these days, at least here in Denver) however, ...when the time comes to pack a gun for a trip to the uplands it doesn't seem to make the cut, while my 16 always does. If I shot more doves or even quail, then I suspect that it would see much more use. Really looking forward to any opportunity to use it more.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

If you are having trouble finding the 2 1/2 shells you want, order the Poly's from Lion Country Supply by the case and get free shipping right to your door.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Dave:

Thanks, but I'm an RST guy these days. Santa brought me this for Christmas because I was exceptionally good this year. Local supplies just aren't as diverse as they used to be.

[url=https://imgur.com/eiSlNZg] [/url]

I really should try the Polys some time.