16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New A5 owner stock fit problem.
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

51smd wrote:
The Beretta pads were too low and would not stay on the stock so they went back. I’m going to start calling around to see if I can get an adjustable comb installed on it. So far I’m very disappointed with the way the gun fits and how I shoot it.

I printed a few this week in work. Send me an email with your address and I will send them your way. Only takes a little filing work inside the stock and you'll get a drop at comb of 1.4".
I did this to mine and another one. Also did the same to my 12ga A5
Ross
51smd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

Ok so I called Browning today. Joe told me to add to the comb ok I’m working on it. I asked what was the proper sight picture with the red bead and the white mid bead he stated a figure eight. I’m not a trap shooter so the mid bead came out this afternoon. I had some failure to load issues. Joe explained that the minimum FPS to properly function the Sweet Sixteen 1290 FPS as the shooters of these guns shoot heavy hunting loads and the minimum weight for the shot is 5/8. Thats why my 1oz loads didn’t want to function the A5. Joe also told me to never use any lubricant that contains Teflon as it gummed up in cold weather ie (Rem oil) which is what I had used the day I had the failure to load issues. They recommend the use of CLP as a lubricant. Why can’t they put this information in the owners manual.

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:47 am  Reply with quote

Is it possible to add a couple more shims?

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B11810AA

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:33 am  Reply with quote

51smd wrote:
Ok so I called Browning today. Joe told me to add to the comb ok I’m working on it. I asked what was the proper sight picture with the red bead and the white mid bead he stated a figure eight. I’m not a trap shooter so the mid bead came out this afternoon. I had some failure to load issues. Joe explained that the minimum FPS to properly function the Sweet Sixteen 1290 FPS as the shooters of these guns shoot heavy hunting loads and the minimum weight for the shot is 5/8. Thats why my 1oz loads didn’t want to function the A5. Joe also told me to never use any lubricant that contains Teflon as it gummed up in cold weather ie (Rem oil) which is what I had used the day I had the failure to load issues. They recommend the use of CLP as a lubricant. Why can’t they put this information in the owners manual.

Joe is not exactly correct on all points. It isn't Teflon that is the issue it is that Rem oil gets thick as it gets cold, nothing to do with Teflon. The action is basically the same as a Benelli and most Benelli shooters that shoot in the cold know not to use Rem oil. CLP should work but I use Triflow. Which contains Teflon and works fine.

I assume that he told you to use 9/8 oz. of shot not 5/8 oz. Browning 16 ga. shells are 1 1/8 oz. at 1290 fps which is my guess as to why he said that. I have shot thousands of Federal 1 oz. shells at 1165 fps without a problem in my Sweet 16. Those Browning "magnum" shells will certainly work but should not be required to operate your gun.

I'd strip it down to parade rest and use a solvent to clean the gun thoroughly. And use CLP, Triflow or G96 gun oil on it. Just a little bit don't over do it, in the cold some people run their guns almost dry with just a little lube. The new A5's and Benelli's that is.

I would take Ross.m.scott up on his generous offer for a 3D printed shim. You need to relieve the wood some to ensure full contact. But it isn't difficult to do. I have used padded moleskin before and built up layers of it to increase comb height for changing POI to where I wanted it. https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Molefoam-Padding-Packages/dp/B001EPQG2G/ref=sr_1_30?keywords=moleskin+thick&qid=1579011355&sr=8-30 If using moleskin or any other type of stick on pad you want to be careful not to add too much thickness to the side toward your face as others have mentioned because it will cause your eye to come out of alignment with too much cast. You can cut the moleskin so that it just adds vertical height and not additional cast.

I'm not a fan of an adjustable comb for hunting guns. But if all I use it for is clay targets then sometimes will have an adjustable comb cut in. Joe Bowles at TronSpace Stockworks does great work and extremely fast turn around time. And likely the best price you will find. $260 for a 4 way adjustable combhttps://tronspace.com/price-list

I really like my Sweet 16, a lot. Good luck with yours.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 am  Reply with quote

As cold iron stated 1oz load should function your gun just fine . My 1oz 1200 fps loads function mine 100% of the time .

7/8oz at 1350 fps work well also.
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Cold Iron"]
51smd wrote:

I would take Ross.m.scott up on his generous offer for a 3D printed shim. You need to relieve the wood some to ensure full contact. But it isn't difficult to do. I have used padded moleskin before and built up layers of it to increase comb height for changing POI to where I wanted it. https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Molefoam-Padding-Packages/dp/B001EPQG2G/ref=sr_1_30?keywords=moleskin+thick&qid=1579011355&sr=8-30 If using moleskin or any other type of stick on pad you want to be careful not to add too much thickness to the side toward your face as others have mentioned because it will cause your eye to come out of alignment with too much cast. You can cut the moleskin so that it just adds vertical height and not additional cast.

I'm not a fan of an adjustable comb for hunting guns. But if all I use it for is clay targets then sometimes will have an adjustable comb cut in. Joe Bowles at TronSpace Stockworks does great work and extremely fast turn around time. And likely the best price you will find. $260 for a 4 way adjustable combhttps://tronspace.com/price-list

I really like my Sweet 16, a lot. Good luck with yours.

I only had to relieve some wood inside the stock and I have a perfect fit. Also had to modify the metal washer inside the stock from memory. I ended up with a comb almost parallel with the barrel.

If anyone would like a shim or two printed let me know.
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:43 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Is it possible to add a couple more shims?

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B11810AA

One issue with using stock shims to raise the eye/point of impact is that the shim changes the pitch at the the butt plate. This can cause increased felt recoil and muzzle jump.

The shock shim that provides cast-off should be considered when raising the comb to counter the cast-on of many comb raising systems.

pumpgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

I had the same issue, my dimensions are pretty average, but there was still too much drop, even with the highest shim. My shooting was mediocre at best. So I had a stock-maker add a ½" piece to the comb. An adjustable comb would've been a bit easier, but I just didn't want that on a hunting gun.
studdog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

I had mine customized by a great stock guy. The shims are not worth much. I had stock cut to fit the metal to achieve my specs. Gun fits perfect to my specs. Shoots great.

df
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting. I just took possession of my new A5 Sw 16. It fits me very well. Shot a few Ks quail with it last week.