16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  GBE's original From My Covers book acquired.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Recently I was a able to acquire GBE's original From My Covers Book, from GBE & Kays estate. I am looking forward to it's delivery. In this particular book many of GBE's original illustrated sketch work drawings, for his many books were stored. I am happy to say I get the original GBE sketches, with the book.

Will take some pictures for the 16 gauge forum members to see when they arrive.

I have a few things George & Kay gave to me and my young wife Linda long ago, I will add this book and the sketches to them and keep them in my office.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
3birddogs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, that's great. I have GBE's Grouse and Woodcock in The Blackwater/Cannan sitting on my shelf unread. Unread, because I know that once I read it, there will be no more GBE for me to read. I have been wantin g to get down to Old Hemlock.
Do you go to the OLd Hemlock reunion at Hunting Hills.
Harold
BTW, not a 16, but picked up a nice Parker PH 20 with fluid steel barrels today

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Harold,

I fully understand about not reading the last of your GBE books, I have been re-reading mine for years, I was missing this particular book From My Covers and finally acquired the original.

I do not go to Hunting Hills, however I owned an original Ryman Dog directly from George Ryman. GBE used one of these dogs to restart his kennel. In fact I did the original field training of Ryman's Blue Heather before another man purchased her. I always thought of Heather as my dog, unfortunately my father did not have the money to purchase her for us, before I went into the Army, so she was sold to another man. GBE finally ended up with her and used her to restart his kennel, she was an incredible Grouse dog and thru some fantastic pups for both GBE and Walt Lesser who bought her from GBE along with one of Heathers pups sired by Old Hemlock Ruff. I have been to Old Hemlock many times to visit with George and Kay, I have some great memories of them and the dogs, especially being reunited with Ryman's Blue Heather on GBE's porch.

The Ryman pup I just purchased from Wyssfiresidesetters will be the 1st Ryman dog with O/H breeding in her back ground, that I have ever owned. Looking forward to Maggie Mae's arrival here in Pa.

Congrats on picking up the Parker!

Pine Creek/Dave

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:27 am  Reply with quote

Very nice. I'll look forward to the photos!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

F2F,

GBE From My Covers book arrived Saturday, unfortunately all the original sketch work was missing from the book. Have contacted ABE books to see what can be done about it. Waiting for an e-mail answer.

The book is very good with some very interesting hunting stories, in some of the coverts I hunted with him and Kay. Brings back some very fond memories.

The story in the book about GBE going out to pick up Dr Norris's Purdey shotgun, shortly after Dr Norris passed away is a good one, and shows how effected GBE was on his good friends passing. Dr Norris actually left the choosing of 1 of his 2 best guns up to GBE. GBE was to have what ever gun he wished, either the Purdey or the Churchill. George chose the 2 barrel set Purdey 12 gauge gun, a wise Choice on GBE's part.

GBE eventually had the gun fit to his needs and Grouse hunted with the Purdey most of the rest of his life. I actually got to carry the Purdey down around Uniontown, Pa for a short time, as we hunted together. George carried my Grandfathers L.C. Smith Silver Breech 16 Gauge double gun, as we had switched so I could us the Purdey a little. George shot 2 nice birds that day in less than an hour. When we were done he ask me if I would consider selling him the L.C. Smith 16 gauge gun. The gun probably fit him better than any gun he ever owned. I kidded him and told him if I passed away 1st I would will it to him. He got a big kick of this kind of banter most of the time. He did have a wicked dry sense of humor once you got to know him.

The Purdey gun was incredible, it was stocked to short for me however and I did not shoot with the gun. I could see why GBE was going to have the stock altered for himself. Dr Norris's arms were shorter than mine and shorter than Georges also.

Will let you know if ABE books ever comes up with the original sketch work, I am very disappointed somebody removed them from the book.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Dave. I hope you are able to find the sketches; I know they would mean a lot to you.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

F2F,

No luck on the original sketches, however the vendor gave me another GBE book Nash's Letters, and I picked up GBE's original Grouse book for minimal money in the deal also. The seller did right by me, I doubt she will ever recover the original sketches however.

My Ryman Setter pup arrived today also.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Ryman Maggie Mae in the loving arms of my friend Ken Graft's wife. Kim almost kept my pup for herself.

In her new favorite spot under my office desk. Maggie Mae looks just like her Great Great Great Dame Ryman's Blue Heather. One seriously talented Ryman Grouse dog who saved GBE's kennel and started Walt Lessers kennel for him also. Welcome home Maggie Mae!

A few hours later and after some food, relaxed and out cold under the office desk.

hayseed
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:28 am  Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/SAgGZah.jpg

That might be ok for now, but you are going to need a bigger desk.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 am  Reply with quote

hayseed,

Roger that!

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Ryman Maggie Mae

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet pup, Dave!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

kgb,

Thanks buddy, hope all is well with your family and the dogs. I am still healing slowly from the open heart surgery. Not something I want to ever go thru again!

Now that I have both new Gordon and Ryman Setter puppies I got to get healed up!
Need to be strong enough to train Grouse dogs and too shoot a double gun!

all the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man