16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Another Ithaca 37
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a prewar 37R out of Bowie Texas last week on GunBroker. It's 26" to the end of the the PolyChoke. Turns out it was one of the first 50 R's made (1941) and it's a 16 gauge to boot. Special gun (In my eyes anyway) may very well be the first sixteen R made. Do believe it's gonna get a complete makeover come spring. This makes 6 sixteen gauge 37's in the safe now. I gotta quit for awhile.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Great job ! Why stop now Very Happy
Roadkill
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
I bought a prewar 37R out of Bowie Texas last week on GunBroker. It's 26" to the end of the the PolyChoke. Turns out it was one of the first 50 R's made (1941) and it's a 16 gauge to boot. Special gun (In my eyes anyway) may very well be the first sixteen R made. Do believe it's gonna get a complete makeover come spring. This makes 6 sixteen gauge 37's in the safe now. I gotta quit for awhile.

My 16ga 37R was likely made the same day/week that yours was - ser#87.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Mines 49.Found out they made some in 1940 before the special serial number group.I just really like sixteen gauge 37's especially prewars and I finially found one with a poly on it. That said I do have a 1950's RD that's pretty darn cool.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Mines 49.Found out they made some in 1940 before the special serial number group.I just really like sixteen gauge 37's especially prewars and I finially found one with a poly on it. That said I do have a 1950's RD that's pretty darn cool.

Congrats on your new 37R!

I had a 1940 16 ga. 37R and like an idiot sold it last summer. Still have 5 37's in 16 ga. including a prewar that you referred me too. I regret letting the 37R go but someone had a slip on recoil pad on it and the discolored wood bothered me every time I picked it up to shoot it. And it was a full choke which I really didn't need and hated the thought of molesting it.

Also sold off a 16 ga. 1959 37RD with the rare 26" bbl. which was choked Mod.

I really regret letting that one go now too but know where it is. A friend of mine talked me out of it. I will not sell any more of my 37's ever again.
nwmac
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

Cold iron, Gorgeous guns. Love Ithacas. It always surprises me how much the butt pads on these older guns shrink, and without cracking! I wonder if the Ithaca company knew they would shrink that much.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:51 pm  Reply with quote

I love old 37’s with a Polychoke - classic setup. Congratulations on your new addition.

8mmFan