16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  collateral damage
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

in a prev post , I mentioned the whack I got from a Ballistic Prods load . It's been in the (their) data for a while . Not saying ballistically good or bad . A lot of you are familiar with the wood damage recoil can create . An 1100 has several diff systems that work together . While finally getting around to dismantle/cleaning , I found the V bar that drives the bolt back and forth had one end broke off and bent slightly . The gun will still work with my lighter loads , but this was broke by the heavy gas cycle caused by the high speed loads I tested . And , as i said in the other post , this was 6 grains less than the published load . A 12ga 1100 has a fairly good size window it can work well in . My little 28 probably is a much smaller window , and these loads are outside it's box . Just use caution as you think about using weirdish loads in your old guns !!

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Well said

The "Tuning Fork" working properly is a MUST

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Now , just to show how much time I have on my hands , I couldn't resist getting some of the 3" 28 ga cases BP had on sale . I know , no 3'' guns . Mine are all close !! The Ruger and the High Std are at least 27/8 . One of these new cases (they are flared out at the mouth ) goes in all the chambers with zero resistance till about 3/32 , then hang up . My main sacrificial barrel is a 25'' mod plain field barrel - 1100. I will either have the chamber drilled a slight bit , or shorten the cases slightly depending on ease of doing . I would do the HS 1st , but no easy way to get that barrel off of a 70's gun without causing trouble . The cool thing is all the guns eject the full cases cleanly . Before any firing goes on , one of the gas ports in the barrel will be plugged !! working on that ! ( Skeettx , gonna use the Hodgdons data for 1 oz and see how it fits/works believe that's where I saw it )

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:53 am  Reply with quote

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/102860A

And if you do convert the 1100 barrel to three inch, you may need to close off one for the gas ports

Mike