16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  More newbie questions
jig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:56 am  Reply with quote

How many of you use buffered loads..and for what application?
How many of you lube wads with dry lube before loading?
quinletc
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

I don't use buffer. Someone is probably going to say I am wrong, but my understanding is that you only need buffer for magnum loads, where the shock of firing is likely to make the pellets mash together and deform each other. The only thing you'd use buffer for with lead is turkey or deer, and you don't need many of those shells, so you might as well buy factory.

It used to be much more important for Bismuth, as it was originally brone to fracturing, but they modified the alloy to address this issue. Maybe it's still needed, but I used to always have buffer in my pockets from Bismuth shells, and the last two years, I haven't.

It's a rather tedious process, as it's outside of the usual loading procedures and has to be done by hand.

Overall, chances are you don't need it.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought the first buffer OF MY LIFE for the No.T shot coyote loads that Charlie has kindly given me the recipe for...... otherwise, I have purchased some copper-plated sixes that don't need buffer, I don't think....never have used the stuff...... I am hoping some of these guys will give you some answers that I can listen in on.....

.....some of these other guys will have some wisdom, I'm sure, good luck,

britgun
brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Jig,

In 30+ years of reloading, I have never dry lubed wads.

About ten years ago, I did a bunch of pattern testing with loads using both buffered and unbuffered shot. With soft (chilled) shot, the pattern densities and percentages were worth it. However, I discovered that using hard (magnum) shot increased the densities and percentages. Copper-plated shot increased it even more and nickel plated shot was equal to the buffered loads and much, much easier to load. I also found from my experience that the premium reloads were only used for pheasant and late season quail loads. For the regular season quail loads, dove loads, target shooting etc, I just stick with loads of magnum shot. I've had very good luck with Ballistic Products nickel-plated shot in my premium loads in 4,5 and 7 1/2 shot.

In My Experience

TMB
________
Lolol

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

If you use the buffer make sure the recipe calls for the buffer.At one time I put a dab of mica in a bag,dumped in the wads and gave it a "shake and bake" treatment.No real advantages in velocity or pattern was gained.