16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Do you let your pup/dog eat human food?
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Who here feeds their dog anything other than straight dog food? Do you let your dog eat table scraps? Clean up the floor around the dining room table? Share your popcorn and beer? How strict are you on the dog-food-only regimen?

8mmFan
DiamondHunts
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Fruits and vegetables only. They are dedicated snacks, not fed to them while we (wife and I) are eating. They are never given anything off of our plates or dining room table. We try not to associate our food or eating time with theirs. We can eat at the same time, but in their respective areas that they normally eat.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Yes, of course.
Plus, doing so often makes the plates easier to wash.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

8MM,

You bet I give my dogs meat from our table after dinner, some juice from the roasts also. No junk food however. Mixing the meat with their regular dog food, they clean up everything, the stainless Bowls glisten they are so clean.

I also feed Deer meat when we are up at the log cabin Grouse hunting. My dogs are not tired in the woods, gun dogs need meat to function properly week after week in the Grouse woods.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

How can you resist a face like that Dave! I give table scraps to mine just meat really after we are done. He cleans the plates too. I don't mix it or juices in with his regular food because he wont eat if we don't do it, he is a food snob, if he knows there is something better and I hand him a snack he turns away and snubs it. We share an apple every night at 1900. No peace in the house if we don't have an apple in the fridge.
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Grain free dog food that is supposedly high in meat content and a small junk of cheese here and there. I am not hung up on grain free food, but went to it years ago when my dogs stopped eating the major companies foods. They ate it with gusto so I stuck with it.

They always have plenty of energy in the field and eat the food when on the road with no issues. I can’t say that for many other dog foods I tried. They never get table scraps, but during the bird season he shares part of a sandwich with me in the filed.

If I give him a treat it is a kibble of his dog food.

I just remembered one exception for human food, he gets to lick the ice cream bowl.

Good Hunting,
Mike

Last edited by Chicago on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:44 am; edited 2 times in total
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

Only dog food. I can control their weight easier on dog food, because the diet doesn't vary. Besides I am not a canine nutritionist

Yes they do get scraps now and then,but not often.

8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:38 am  Reply with quote

LOL. Looks like a broad spectrum of approaches. With our old Shorthair, we were right there with putting meat juices on his dog food, and letting him clean up meal scraps.

The reason I ask is that our new pup seems to be driven by curiosity toward our food, even though he’s got a full dish of his own. With three kids around here ages 3, 9, and 11, I’m pretty much fighting a losing battle against the pup getting our food, especially cleaning up what “fell on the floor,” at meal time.. My thoughts—on limiting him to dog food—was that I can control his weight better. Although, my old shorthair was never fat...

I might re-think that. Thanks for the responses, guys.

8mmFan
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:57 am  Reply with quote

My dog, eat something that isn’t dog food?

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59227_600x400/] [/URL]

Yea, fairly regularly. She likes our food, and her food. Eats about two cups of kibble, with a few chicharones sprinkled on top, every day, and whatever she can mooch from us, which, is just a bite most of the time.

Way more important, to me, anyway, is the dog is on a strict exercise regimen. Look closely at that Setter’s waist, and remember she is 6 years old in that photo, and 43 lbs. I like them thin and muscled up, and work daily, not just when it suits me, but, daily, to run that dog.

I can’t stand looking at a fat Setter.

Best,
Ted

goathoof
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:17 am  Reply with quote

The lady guest sat down at the table and admired how shiny clean the dishes were. She asked the hostess "how do you get them so clean".

The hostess replied " I just use soap and water".

The guest replied "mine never get so nice. Can you show me?"

The hostess yelled "soap and water, soap and water!"

The guest shrieked as the two dogs came running in.
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, she usually gets the last bite of meat I am eating, and she loves to lick off the spaghetti plate. She will eat pieces of apple and pear, few veggies once in a while.
1stgun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

On holidays she fully partakes of the feast. Other times, whatever she can beg off us or steal from the cat.

Of course, this one is a gun shy, rescue dog. Last time I do that!

Chuck

8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. This is all good stuff. Makes me feel better about not being militant about it here with the wife and kids. It certainly flies against the recommendations of the old-time dog trainers, but so what.

I fully agree about the need for exercise and keeping ‘em thin, too. I think that more than anything that’s how my old dog made it to 16. He’d have gone longer, too, if his stomach hadn’t flipped. He was in good shape.

Thanks again, and enjoy the rest of Sunday.

8mmFan
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

My girl often gets additives to her kibble. No salt added chicken broth, plain kefir, full fat Greek yogurt. Or dollop of sour cream. I’ll buy marked down meat at the grocery and cook up a few pork chops or chicken thighs to cut up and mix a touch in during the week. I don’t want to eat the same thing every day, and I doubt she does either.

I try to put any leftovers in the fridge and give to her later to discourage table begging.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Chester enjoys table scraps immensely but it’s a rare treat for him. He disdains kale however.

I’m convinced that dogs are genetically predisposed to seek human food scraps. Our previous dog used to eat any half eaten scraps the kids left in the back yard including apple cores and carrot tops. I once did an experiment: I tossed him a fresh whole grain cracker which he sniffed and ignored. Then I threw him an identical one but after I took a bite out of it, and he gobbled it up with great relish. That proved it for me.

B.