16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Help... my brain hurts
cottonstalk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Got some reloading data forwarded to me and got the information off campfire. I have experience reloading rifle and handgun ammo, and as I've gotten older I got 1 load that works for each and in the last 10yrs I don't deviate. I worked and searched until I got one powder that works in my 3 rifles and one primer, same with my handguns. Simplicity. I was hoping to do the same with my new hobby, loading for the 16. I was thinking 4 bismuth 1-1 1/8 oz for all my waterfowl needs, and 1-1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s to cover everything else, quail,doves,crows and skeet. I have fed and rem hulls,would like to use 1 type of powder and 1 type of primers, and 1 style of wad. Is this possible? Or just a dream?
jim18611865
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

What do you have on hand for pistols now?

Just a quick look at Hodgdon Universal, there appears to be 1 oz. data for both of those hulls in lead and Bismuth.

Jim
cottonstalk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:26 am  Reply with quote

H110 or 296 which ever is available when I need some as they are almost the same, and I use blc2 for my long guns.

I'll have to see what's available locally, but the multiple wads and multiple primers and reading the load data, and what works with this hull don't with another and no parts can be substituted, just a lot for my simple brain.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:01 am  Reply with quote

My suggestions would be either 800-X, Longshot or Blue Dot.....BUT with shotshells there are very few one size fits all without some digging through load data and even a possible load development, especially with the 16 gauge.

If this were me, I would really look into using Longshot.

1 1/8 oz. of Bismuth maybe tough, not because of pressures but because of enough room in the shell.

I have a very good and properly tested 1 1/8 oz. load for Bismuth , however it is a buffered load and it has to be loaded one at a time with some components that need to be loaded by hand. It is not a load for a progressive machine or a Lee Load-All.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:01 pm  Reply with quote

Mark,would that be the load in the Precision manual? I can't get 1 1/8 oz in it. About 465 grns is the best I can do.