16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Good hip waders?
Rooster
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Duck hunting is 90% of my shotgun endeavors. South Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana, as many days as I can. That entails flooded timber, salt marsh, brushy sloughs, lake shores, and potholes in timber. Waterfowl temps range from 60deg. to below freezing. Sometimes it’s a boat ride to the hole, sometimes it’s a LONG walk through mud, buck brush, willows, and briars. What I wear depends on the day.

I’ve used, and used up, many brands and types of gear. What I have settled on is a pair of uninsulated breathable chest waders of good quality and Lacrosse green rubber hip boots. Wouldn’t want to be without either. I can always layer up under the waders if it’s cold and the Lacrosse hippers are great for those long walks jump shooting sloughs and potholes. Only downside to the Lacrosse boots is they will get cold when the temps drop way down but they are TOUGH and easy to walk in.

Bob

SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody for the advise.

I plan on buying a pair of hip boots and later on chest waders. I am seriously considering the LaCrosse green rubber boots. The only problem is that I have heard is the quality and life span is low compared to the older ones.

Would I be better off looking for an older pair on eBay or are the new ones fine? Or are there any other brands of hip boots you recommend?

I need something that’s tough and is good for long walking long distances. Protection from cold is not of concern.

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:52 am  Reply with quote

OK, now you have added more data, we need more data Smile

Are you talking Illinois or Alaska?

Walking long distances, all in moisture?

Please give us some insight into the taskings

Mike

SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:36 am  Reply with quote

I reside in and do all if my outdoor activities in northern Illinois. The climate hear ranges from 100 degrees in the summer to -30 below in the winter and I’m out in all of it.

I almost exclusively fish for catfish and uses a combination of rod n reel and bank poles. Due to me not having access to a boat at the moment I fish from the bank, unless i can find a log and crawl out over the water.

The locations I hunt/fish range from agricultural fields, open woodlands, sloughs, flooded fields and thick “brush”. Some of these brushy areas are dense and Thorne and the typical visibility can be 10 feet.

And yes, I put in a LOT of hours on foot.

I am looking for the pair of hip boots that can hold up the best in these conditions. Like I said I plan on buying chest waders later on down the road, for fooling around in the deeper water.

Last edited by SweetAndNot16 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:04 pm; edited 4 times in total

Rooster
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

My perspective is to buy Lacrosse hippers and not look back. Your use sounds like a lot of mine. My current boots are three years old with a LOT of hard wear from hunting/fishing to beaver trapping. They are still going strong.
Another positive to Lacrosse brand is their snug fit to ankle and foot; good support and unlike some brands your feet and ankles don’t “slop” around as you walk.
Bob

SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Rooster wrote:

Another positive to Lacrosse brand is their snug fit to ankle and foot; good support and unlike some brands your feet and ankles don’t “slop” around as you walk.

This is major selling point with me. I have flat feet and have always been picky on fit preferring snug, supportive footwear.

Thanks for the advice Rooster.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

What ever happened to Hodgeman waders? I used to love their brown canvas ones durable and fairly comfortable. When I fished almost ever day they were the best.