16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Has anyone use the different KENT Bismuth loads ..
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Yup very true
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:40 am  Reply with quote

I started duck hunting in the early 70's, so I had over 20 years of the lead shot era. Shot most of mine with an ounce of 6's in my 20 gauge guns. Yes, lead works well. I do hear a lot of steel shot bashing and unless you've hunted waterfowl with it, and for a long time, you really don't have much basis in experience. The old steel was bad, but good modern steel shot in a 12 gauge will kill ducks as far as anyone should be shooting and well over 40 yards. You just need to stick to #2's and #3's with enough speed. Don't let old prejudices and hearsay fool you, steel done right works very well.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Dave I don't disagree with you, the newer steel is good stuff. I do miss my ounce and a quarter load of 6's on ducks though.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:03 pm  Reply with quote

I think the current BOSS bismuth is about the best price and size/payloads out there. I pretty much can't load bismuth as cheap as I can buy their shells, and their loads are well thought out IMO.

Here are a couple writeups I did on Kent Bismuth being euro-sized and the ramifications on picking your best shot size for ducks; and general bismuth loads for ducks from a payload pellet-count and penetration/range perspective. You might find them interesting or useful for choosing between various bismuth payloads.

https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/kent-bismuth-smaller-euro-shot-thoughts/

https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/bismuth-shotpayload-size-analysis/