16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bells or no
Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:01 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Dave Erickson"][quote="gunsrus"]
Dave Erickson wrote:
gunsrus wrote:
Setters in the grouse woods ranging to 150 yards .
Alpha , Garmin Fenix watch and a bell

I wear mine upside down, so when I tuck the butt and am in ready position it's right there. Works great for those "moving points" on a cagey rooster in switch grass.

Do you mean on the inside of your wrist? I will have to give that a try, but on running roosters I usually find my dog by the movement of the switch grass and can see the rooster moving the grass in front of him. If it’s real windy that program doesn’t work as well.

Good Hunting,
Mike
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:52 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Chicago"][quote="Dave Erickson"]
gunsrus wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:
gunsrus wrote:
Setters in the grouse woods ranging to 150 yards .
Alpha , Garmin Fenix watch and a bell

I wear mine upside down, so when I tuck the butt and am in ready position it's right there. Works great for those "moving points" on a cagey rooster in switch grass.

Do you mean on the inside of your wrist? I will have to give that a try, but on running roosters I usually find my dog by the movement of the switch grass and can see the rooster moving the grass in front of him. If it’s real windy that program doesn’t work as well.

Good Hunting,
Mike

Mike, yes, inside the wrist. Works a charm and your skin is sensitive there and easily feels the point vibration. I'm talking switch so high and thick I can't see the dog.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Having hunted for a few yrs now with Peach , I could see using a bell .She is brave and can get out there pretty far. Being slower than the crowd , I get to set back and watch a large area while the guys are moving around . The pro's and cons : I see a few birds skirt the guys and dogs and end up in front of me . The birds are quite chatty ! You can tell where they are . So noise may not be so good . However , the dog can get out of sight easy with the Coolies , and that can be a problem . Can't respond to calling , can't hear . Fortunately , dogs are fairly good at backtracking till they get the owners scent and relocate . Don't think a little ding-a-ling hurts as long as not Grouse hunting - birds are too jittery .

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:47 am  Reply with quote

16 gaugeDavis,

I sure agree and I often run the Dogtra T&B and use the beeper as a locator. We have a few hold over Pheasants here now and I find the TB collar quite useful in the real thick cover.

All the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
BWW
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thanks for the feedback! I have hunted my dog now for 4 years without a bell, but I hunt with guys who always use bells. So I will try on a lone hunt with and without to see if the pheasants we usually hunt care.

Again, thanks
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

BWW,

I have to admit even our hold over Pheasants are not particularly spooky from the dog bells, Grouse now that is a completely different story. My Brother swears Grouse can pass down knowledge of what a bell means to their off spring. It may very well be that a mother Grouse is capable of teaching her young to run or fly from the sound a bell. I would not doubt it at all, Pa Grouse are the spookiest birds on earth. Having hunted our Lancaster county wild Pheasants most all of my life, the stocked Pheasant is no kind challenge for a good Grouse dog, wild Pheasants were great sport and much more challenging gunning. Gave the dogs fantastic retrieving and tracking also.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grous Dog Trainers

Ken & Ruby on a Kansas bird hunt, the Gordon has mastered Pheasant hunting and Ken shoots a good number of wild birds each year.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
jswanson
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, always. Doesn't take long for a pup to know the bell means we're going hunting rather than for a walk.

jrothWA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

For her first hunt, had my parnter o with me to a "put and Take" Ohio game area.

Got out of the car and loaded up a bird flew out from my left about 20 yds., and I fired and winged it, then off running, down into a Swale and up the other side. GINGER was running mode and thebird top the swale rise , thenGINGER followed and I was just crossed the swale drainge , when they disappeared.

Clinmbed up to the mid-pint of the climb , when I saw GINGER coming down with a WIDE_EYED rooster in her mouth.
CAME and heelled and dropped to my hand.
Thereafter, she never had a bell even when we did the Ohio Power lands.

Subsequent dogs I have used a bell.
Present, hunter TYSON, like to send postcards when he out and away, nbut now he is three and is getting steady.

If I need I quiet the bell with electrical tape.

Its' your decision, decide where and when you need to use.

Good luck and great hunting.