16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Anybody own the Steven's 555 16ga O/U?
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Hey fellas,

Does anyone here have one and what are your thoughts?

I handled the 20ga model a few times and I liked it, but i didnt shoot one...

They had a 16ga there too, liked the gun, but it didnt fit me...it was the only one there and 16ga guns dont sell around here, so it's the only 16ga that's come thru the door..

It's been at least 6 months since I first looked at them...the temptation continues to grow...

grow...

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

Don't and wouldn't own one.Shot one and it left me w/the impression of what a pos.
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

I’d put it in the ‘you get what you pay for category’. I’ve handled the 20 and 28ga guns. They balance and point well enough, I just don’t think the quality is there. Chances are you will have headaches sooner or later.

CZ is about the lowest priced guns I ever recommend. Not that they don’t have problems, but they do have their act together, and fix them. Moving up from there, Franchi and FAIR are really the only safe bets if purchase price of a new gun is a main determining factor. Just my opinion.

Wish CZ would offer the G2 in 16...
John Singer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Danny,

Someone from one of the local gun clubs gave my phone number to another member. This gentleman called me and sought my advice on a "good, budget" over and under shotgun.

I explained to the guy that there is no such thing as a good, budget over and under shotgun.

The problems that I am seeing in certain Turkish made guns involve the heat treat/metallurgy of some critical parts and/or sloppy tolerances in the machining of some internal parts.

At this time, I am very wary of such guns. On a Venn diagram, there is no overlap involving good over and under shotguns and budget over and shotguns.

Others may have different experiences and may be more accepting of such issues.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:36 am  Reply with quote

Fellas,

So far you guys are supporting my same concerns.

I had some early non-CZ Huglu shotguns, both Ringnecks...they were a great buy at 400.00 for the 20ga and 600.00 for the 28ga. Handled, pointed, and shot very well...but that was 15yrs ago, things have changed in manufacturing...both good AND bad.

I suspected that if purchased, in the long (or short run really) I'd be displeased. Metal, everywhere, felt "soft"...

Back to my vintage pumps and autoloaders!

Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:40 am  Reply with quote

16’er suggested a FAIR. I think in that price range you won’t get a better gun. Or, look for an older SKB.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:40 am  Reply with quote

16’er suggested a FAIR. I think in that price range you won’t get a better gun. Or, look for an older SKB.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Swampy,

Yes, those FAIR o/u from the mid 2000s are wonderful. Should have got one then!

Those damn Savages (b-western pun intended) are pretty nice fit and weight...but the suspicions I had seem to be well supported.

Bummer....I'll have to handle MORE guns 😜

ajsdad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

I own a 555E in 28 gauge and a 555E in the 20 as well! Both have been excellent guns and in my opinion better than any CZ model. Nicer wood than any CZ I've ever seen!! I will be getting a 555E in 16 very soon.
BWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

I have 2 CZ shotguns. 16 O/U and a 16 SXS. They have performed fantastic over the last 3 years. The wood is good and they lock up and have never has a fail to fire.
I hunt 1 to 3 times a week and they are all I use for upland birds.
I buy guns to carry in the field and not to brag about.
I very much appreciate the fine guns that guys on this forum have and lust for some of them. The case hardening treatment on my SxS CZ has drawn many compliments.
It is probably because nobody around here uses a SxS or a 16 ga.
I just like shotguns. Bring them on, all of them. To each his own and I am old and hard core.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Bob
Bill K
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

I owned a 555 in .410, it was a fairly decent gun - I sold it because it was on the light side and a little too whippy for me in order to get a good sight picture.

One of my friends who is one of the best shooters I know, and who can afford pretty much any gun he wants, owns a 555 in 28 GA and absolutely loves it. And this guy shoots a lot of birds, more than some of us shoot in a lifetime.

My general comment is the 555 is a good gun for the money.

The big determinent with any gun is fit, if it fits you - you can hit with it, and if you can hit what you are shooting at then it’s a good gun for you.

Yes it is an entry level O/U - so what. I think of all the Stevens 311’s that are there with which a whole of people had a whole lot of shooting sports fun with.

There is an old saying which goes, “a man can only understand that which his wallet allows him to.” Not everybody has $1,500+ to spend on an O/U, I say buy it and have some fun.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:37 pm  Reply with quote

Good feedback fellas!

Im glad to hear that you guys that have had/do have some of these Savages have had good luck so far....

I agree with the wallet=ability analogy....its in the know how...not the spend all.

Keep it coming fellers

T-Bone
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:53 am  Reply with quote

I own a Stevens 555 in 28 Ga., a CZ Bobwhite G1 in 28 Ga. and a DeHaan S2 in 16 Ga. Only the Bobwhite required any service for failing to fire, but I bought it used from a guy who shot it hard for a lot for years.

Where most folks get into problems with Turkish guns is that people try to turn them into degated clays guns; something they were not designed for; hunting upland birds YES; hundreds of rounds at the trap or skeet or sporting clays range NO.