16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Opening day dove gun
PIOBill
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Normally it would go with the 870 16ga but this year I'll go with the new 686 28ga for the fun of it.

John1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Hopefully, a fairly new to me 1148. In 16 gauge of course.

John
S.davis
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Depends on the weather, forecast for rain here in KC, which is why I have “rain guns”, plus I usually don’t waste 16 ga shells missing doves...

Most likely a V3, I don’t usually shoot a 12 for anything but waterfowl, but I found a couple boxes of Kent Dove Steel in my ammo pile and can’t think of any other way to use it.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:08 am  Reply with quote

That's weird. I got on the forum to post that dove season opens here Sat. and that I was both excited and undecided about which gun was getting to go. I just got a new to me IC barrel for the 1967 Sweet that I bought from my BIL so I'll probably take it with 7/8 oz #8 handloads. I need for the birds to be close, and me be shooting an open choke to hit'em Very Happy
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

A good hunt this afternoon.
Tristar Brittany 410
Only 8 doves because we were RAINED OUT
What joy, what joy
Mike

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

Rain drove me to a gun I did not care as much about my model 21 12ga (yes a heretical act)

Justice was served as I got near zero shots before I had to call it a day
T-Bird
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:01 am  Reply with quote

I used to shoot doves in the rain, I was younger and even dumber then. Very Happy
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:08 am  Reply with quote

We had rain for the opener so I ran errands after finishing my morning school bus
route. Had plans to try today but the rain moved in the morning before I was done as well. Maybe later

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Did the dove opener yesterday with a group of nine guys in the classic Texas opening day dove method. We had cold drinks and camp stoves, breakfast bacon and eggs, three dogs for retrieving.

We were set up on private land around a stock tank out in the desert, the dove were flying hot and heavy around 8:30.

I used my 28 gauge Stevens 555, with some 3/4 Oz 7.5 and Eights. This is a cheap $382 o/u I have that I shoot well. Everyone else was using 12 gauge ounce and an eighth. Most of them shot at least three boxes. One guy did shoot steel 7.5s, which must have only been effective to 25 yds maybe, wasn't working well.

My skeet practice stood me well and I used less than a box in all so was very happy, 22 shells. It really highlighted that it's all about getting the pellets On Target, most of my shots were around 25 to 40 yards with an improved modified choke with three quarter ounce 7.5, so that's not that many pellets, and every bird was dead on the ground. Much better lethality than last year using 8s from IC which surprised me...need to pattern that IM and see how tight it is.

Huge fun and my first group opener sense 1991 in Texas! Usually I don't like to be near a bunch of people I don't know on public land during the opener war zone! But these were all friends from duck hunting chat on private land and it was well set up and huge fun.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:40 am  Reply with quote

Either a Fox Sterlingworth 30" or a Parker VH 28" Both are 16ga . Both are new to me and I haven't killed anything with either gun yet . May just bring both of them .
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:15 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Either a Fox Sterlingworth 30" or a Parker VH 28" Both are 16ga . Both are new to me and I haven't killed anything with either gun yet . May just bring both of them .

Nice pick-ups!
Beagleman
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

S.C. dove season opens tomorrow afternoon. It had been 30 years since my last dove shoot until last year. I had forgotten how much fun I was missing. I have decided to carry 2 guns : An 11-48 from 1950 with a cyl choke ( that I had opened up) 28" barrel and a sweet sixteen from 1952 with imp.cyl. 28" barrel. Where my blind is situated , I won't have a shot over 30 yards, so open chokes will be useful. This spot is a small window and requires a quick gun. It's a GREAT blind...it's in the shade! Hope all that goes has a safe, fun day.