16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Just call me Ahab...H&H 16
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:19 am  Reply with quote

I remember seeing that gun for sale on GI awhile back. I look forward to seeing the completed project and enjoy.

Good Hunting,
Mike
FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Very nice. And definitely found its way into the right hands.
I’ll be watching for progress reports & pics.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

Moby is coming along nicely. After removing the leather , I found it was padded with jute, and behind the leather was rolled up newspaper in the hollowed out stock. The language is Hungarian, so I imagine this gun spent a long time chasing huns and driven pheasants before it made its way across the pond. Apparently Hungary has some very good bird shooting, which I didn't know about until I researched it.

After removing the heavy plastic extension and adding a hollowed out wood one, I filled in the dished out area of the stock under the leather with epoxy wood resin, which is very strong, and very light weight. I also made custom heel and toe plates from a metal butt plate I had lying around. I like the tasteful engraving and nice screws, and the plates have some nicks and battle scars, which I like and seem proper for a 100+ year old gun.

Building up the butt with wood resin, I inlet the plates, and then hand carved H&H, which will be gold leafed when it's done:

The gun has a silver oval stock shield, nickel plated triggers, and polished forend tip, so I think I'll keep the heel and toe plates in their polished steel state for continuity. I'll tie in the gold H&H on the butt with gold and silver vines and leaves on the final artwork, so it will all tie together in a gold/silver motif. Right now I'm leaning towards a "bird gun" concept with close up sitting and flushing birds, and perhaps my setter, although I'm tempted to try to tie in a small portrait of the Goddess Diana of the Hunt also. We'll see. The stock is almost completely covered over due to all the repairs, so it's a blank canvas at this point. There is however some nice dark english walnut grain left on the right side that I can work with:

For the final touch, I'm considering adding a silver leaf whale on the forend. Fun! Very Happy

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess. -- Perhaps, Possibly, Maybe, We'll see Smile

GREAT progress, thank you for sharing

Mike

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:56 am  Reply with quote

Looking good, Mark!
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
After removing the leather , I found it was padded with jute

Actually it looks like horsehair. Mercedes Benz used similar horsehair for padding in their seats into the early 1980s. They also used it in the oil-bathed air filters for their diesel motors.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:09 am  Reply with quote

Anticipation is building, Mark...
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I finally finished this Holland and Holland, my first ever Brit gun. Due to the extensive stock repairs from hiding the leather cheek piece and adding the extension, I ended up having to cover the entire stock with caramel enamel, leaving me a blank canvas to work with:

After giving it a lot of thought, and trying out many different designs on my ipad and sketchbook, nothing looked quite right. This gun has a very understated elegance about it, and everything I tried just seemed to be too much. So, I listened to what it was telling me, and other than some gold vines and leaves around the lockplate, and a gold fleur de lis on the forend, and the gold leafed H&H on the butt plate, I just went with full marble cake walnut, mostly out of my head, after looking at a bunch of high grade stocks. Here she is:

I ended up browning the heel and toe plates, and then rubbing off much of it with steel wool, to give it a pleasing warm patina look, to match the rest of the gun. I sent the barrels off to Kody Kearcher, and he opened the right tube to light modified for me. I got them back last Saturday, and Monday was our release site pheasant opener. I took her out for a spin, and her first two shots on birds were two stoned roosters. I'm very happy. She's a dream to look at, carry and shoot.Very Happy

Last edited by UncleDanFan on Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Looks great, and looks like great results on birds as well!
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

You've got some awesome talent, Mark. It looks wonderful!
ROMAC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Great work!
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Looking good! What did you end up with for stock dimensions and overall weight?

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The heel and toe plates made it go over 6lbs, at 6lbs 1oz. That's still pretty good for a 1911 gun with 30" barrels. Pretty much like Dave's new Iside. It handles wonderfully, and is mechanically excellent, with strong, well timed ejectors. Dimensions are 1 5/8 x 2.5 x 14.5. These Dominion models were made to be simple to take apart in the field, and they really are. Subtle things like only one screw on the long tang, self opening sideplates, etc. I can have the stock off the action in just a couple minutes.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

You sure do a hell of an impressive job on graining, Mark! Thanks for the photos.
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Simply stunning work, very impressive. I just picked up a used gun that will need a wood extension and I sent you a P.M.

Good Hunting,
Mike