16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Needing Remington 16 ga plastic wads ("shot cups")
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:48 am  Reply with quote

You guys are great, now I just have to decide whether to buy the new 16 only stuff, or the used stuff to do both 12 and 16..... prob end up buying the new 16 and stick with my anemic slow 12 bore Load all, just because my 12 bore output is minimal these days, but when I do load 12's up, it's Federal paper all the way, baby, what a great hull!

thanks again, friends, for the leads om where to pick this stuff up.....

Duncan (britgun)

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a SuperSizer on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mec-Super-Sizer-16-ga-Shotgun-Shotshell-Reloader-Sizer_W0QQitemZ130067759715QQihZ003QQcategoryZ71120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

Sebascodegan wrote:
Here's a SuperSizer on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mec-Super-Sizer-16-ga-Shotgun-Shotshell-Reloader-Sizer_W0QQitemZ130067759715QQihZ003QQcategoryZ71120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks a lot. I'll take a peek...

britgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

I got the 16ga sizemaster on ebay, probably paid too much, I hope it comes with everything I need, thaks for the lead, guys,

Duncan

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Well, at least you got it, but you got shook down too. You could have got a new one from Natchez cheaper by 10 bucks. I think this auction was shilled and you should back out. Its a ripoff in my estimation. I hate to see folks get took. Sometimes EBAY itself plays games. they have been slapped before for passing info to sellers and fiddling with bids.

I also feel bad, because I tipped you off via PM and encouraged you to get one. I have bought used ones for under 20 bucks and know right now where a 12 ga unit is for that price. A 16 ga conversion unit would cost less then 25 bucks delivered. But I suppose its not like being taken on an expensive gun. Anyway, it better damned well be in good shape for the price. The seller should eat the shipping charges to. I would.
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
"Sizemaster"

That's what I bought for 16g also (even though I have a "Grabber" for 12g) and have been very happy with it. Do yourself a favor and get a handful of of powder bushings instead of just trying to get the ones you [think you] need.

Invariable what's called for in the 'receipes' is off and you'll need the one you didn't buy.

Last edited by Sebascodegan on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Well, at least you got it, but you got shook down too. You could have got a new one from Natchez cheaper by 10 bucks. I think this auction was shilled and you should back out. Its a ripoff in my estimation. I hate to see folks get took. Sometimes EBAY itself plays games. they have been slapped before for passing info to sellers and fiddling with bids.

I also feel bad, because I tipped you off via PM and encouraged you to get one. I have bought used ones for under 20 bucks and know right now where a 12 ga unit is for that price. A 16 ga conversion unit would cost less then 25 bucks delivered. But I suppose its not like being taken on an expensive gun. Anyway, it better damned well be in good shape for the price. The seller should eat the shipping charges to. I would.

Thanks, it's OK, you were just trying to help me is all, which I really appreciate so much, and yeah, I got bit a little, but you're right, at least I got one..... live and learn, but I'm not upset about it at all, one of those things.....please don't feel bad about it..... looks like some games were being played with that auction and I was on the wrong end of them....those private auction deals, of which this was one, always smelled a little fishy to me for some reason.....

Will it have everything I need in there? Is this a full on reloader or just a sizer? I don't even know what I bought! I'm ingnernt about MEC and exactly what a supersizer does, besides size the hull properly.... a guy posted me saying I should get some extra bushings.....

thanks,

Duncan

britgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Sebascodegan wrote:
Quote:
"Sizemaster"

That's what I bought for 16g also (even though I have a "Grabber" for 12g) and have been very happy with it. Do yourself a favor and get a handful of of powder bushings instead of just trying to get the ones you [think you] need.

Invariable what's called for in the 'receipes' is off and you'll need the one you didn't buy.

Thanks, I'll see what shows up with it and then see what else I need, hopefully not too much more since I got bent over pretty good already....

I appreciate the advice,

kind regds,

britgun

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

The MEC Supersizer is just a hull resizing unit to augment your existing Lee Loadall. It will make resizing the steel rims now found on virtually all 16 ga shells possible and even easy. However, it is not a reloader.

As I remember, the Lee sizing ring requires an extra step done prior to depriming and reloading the hull on the unit. You must perform this operation on all the hulls first. However, this ring was meant for brass rimmed hulls. It will not easily do steel rimmed hulls. Further, since you can't get brass rimmed 16 ga hulls anymore, the Lee ring is about useless now.

The Supersizer does this resizing step for you easier, quicker, and more adequately. I'm certain you will find that once you adjust the Supersizer to resize your 16 ga. steel rimmed hulls back to factory spec, you will not have problems with ripping rims off like you were, either in the gun or in the reloader. Any feeding, loading, or extraction problems will be gone.

You should have a vernier caliper or standard micrometer accurate to .001" on hand to measure you resized rims. However, a simple template can also be cut out of a thin piece of soft copper or brass sheet. The side of a plastic milk jug willl work too. Just cut the template to snuggly fit around the rim of an unfired shell. Then you can adjust your resizer so the resized hulls also fit snuggly in the template. Just take your time and trim the template a tad at a time for a nice accurate slip fit without a lot of slop.

Now, operate the unit's handle and observe how the outer collet is pulled down then back up over the jaws to close them around a shell. Loosen the nut at the bottom side of the unit that holds the tapered sizing jaws inside the outer collet in place. You will need a socket wrench to do this. Then simply screw the jaws (the part that actually squeezes the shell to proper size) up or down as needed until the resized hull rim is the same size as that on an unfired factory shell. Scewing it down or in increases the amount of resizing pressure. Screwing it up or out decreases the pressure. Once you are satisfied, retighten the retaining nut while holding the jaws in place. Now you can resize your hullls easily and accurately. Then you can deprime and reload any steel rimmed hull on your Lee Loadall without having to first use the problematic sizing ring ever again.

FYI, both the MEC Sizemaster single stage unit and the MEC Grabber or 9000 progressive, multistage units have the Supersizer built right in. Since all 16 ga hulls now have steel rims, this adjustable jaw type resizer is necessary to adequately resize the rims back to size without a lot of muss or fuss.

If you ever get a yen for an upgrade to progressive reloading, the Grabber comes in 16 ga and is a very satisfactory and easy to use unit. It just takes a bit of familiarity and some reading to learn to adjust it. However, once you learn to, you can pump out reloads 5 times faster than any single stage press, because each pull of theGrabber handle completes a shell. You do not need to move one shell to one station at a time to do one operation. The Grabber has a rotory carraige that holds 6 shells. It performs all 6 functions from resize to final crimp taper at one time on 6 shells simultaneously. I own and use one, bvecause I need to reload in volume for target shooting a hundred or more shells on a weekend. However, if I only reloaded a box or two every so often, a single stage unit with a jaw type resizer would be just as good.

I hope my advice and explanations clear things up for you. Good luck. If you need anymore help, just ask. that is what we are here for.