16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Nice 2 1/2" 1oz Field Reload
Two Barrels
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:33 am  Reply with quote

One last question/observation. The data posted that was taken from Hodgdon specifically states the hull was 2-3/4” long. The conversation has centered on using one specific recipe from that data set in a 2-1/2” hull with a fold crimp.

With the fold crimp, I am guessing the stack height was not an issue? Was any specific wad pressure applied?
Purple16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:26 am  Reply with quote

No specific wad pressure. With plastic wads pressure isn't required. I just filled the hull with components and 6pt crimped it. Perfect for 2 1/2" hull. The 2 3/4" hull actually would not work without some filler in shot cup.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
3birddogs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that low pressure 1 oz load using SP16 wad. Just what I've been looking for. I pretty much only load 2 1/2' cheddite hulls anymore, but have a bunch of SP16 wads I'd like to use up. I will load up some 1 oz 6's to use on pheasant. I shoot 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads at clay targets and grouse. Now just have to find some IMR Blue-never loaded it before.
There was a good 1 oz load using the SG 16 wad and Longshot in a 2 1/2" hull on this forum in the past--I printed it off, its somewhere in my reloading notebook

megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Whoa, I see some problems with this. First of all, Bluedot does not equal IMR Blue. Neither manufacturer has ever made that claim, no load data has ever made that claim, and any comparative test has shown quite well that the powders are two completely different powders.

The other problem is Bluedot is not a powder for light payloads at low pressures. It was designed from the start for heavy loads of lead shot, like the 12 gauge 1 5/8 oz loads at 1300+ fps that were popular back in the duck hunting lead shot days. Bluedot has a negative reputation for performance in cold weather. I can tell you that Bluedot works great in the coldest weather around if you use it in a load it was intended for. Using it in 16ga 1 oz poof loads is NOT what it is intended for, and I would not be surprised one bit if you get bloopers this time of year. Make sure you check your barrel to be sure you don't have a stuck wad.

If you are trying to make a low pressure load that had faster velocity, look at 800x. That is a powder that is much more forgiving to light payloads, because its burn rate is controlled heavily with its large flake size. I don't have any 2 1/2" data in front of me. The Lyman shotshell 5th lists the following load. Find a comparative load that fits in a 2 1/2" and have fun. Don't mess with 1 oz load with bluedot unless you are wanting to send them at warp speed 1400+ fps.

16 ga Federal 2 3/4" hull
Winchester 209 primer
23.5 gr 800X
B.P. SG16 wad
1 oz lead shot
fold crimp

1280 fps
7,500 psi