16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  number 9, 10, or smaller shot
870wingmaster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I was curious as to whether many of you use small shot such as 9, 10, 11, 12 or however small it gets. If so, what do you use it for. I saw on a spread sheet that there are almost 3 times more 10's in a one ounce load than the same load of 7's. If you're just busting clays or shooting small birds like dove and quail would 10's be enough? Just curious as to why they weren't more popular.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

I use #9's as a matter of course in my 12, 16, and 20 ga. skeet loads---that's what they're for. They make great dove and woodcock loads too. #9's increase the pellet count and pattern density; they give you, mathematically speaking, that many more chances to break your clay or kill the gamebirds....

Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

I have only seen #10 shot a few times and none of those were in the recent past and I have never seen 11's or 12's. I don't know of anyone who uses 10's for any type of hunting or clay shooting.

9's on the other hand are my shot of choice for skeet and dove. I find they are a little light for anything bigger, including quail. A couple of times I shot a round of trap with 9's but it was nothing i would use on a regular basis.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

The smaller the shot the less downrange energy---kiling effect----For those 30 yard and under the nines will work but you also need more pellets to ensure a clean kill.10 or smaller shot has no place other than pistol shotshells.Besides you almost NEVER see any of it for sell.I believe one of the foriegn companies is loading 12's in the 12 and .410 now--not sure if it is Fiochii???
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Sporting clays was a good place for a 1oz. load of #9's for a spreader load at close targets. Other than clay targets I would think a shooter would want to consider the choke, game size, and distance while weighing the game eating quality after it has been dispatched. The wrong choice is where bird burger comes from. Laughing
best,
Ron
brdhnt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:04 am  Reply with quote

No. 9's are of course standard skeet loads. I've used them on doves (not too successfully), early seasaon quail when we have had thick cover and shots were at 15 yards or less.

I use 9's quite extensively in starling shooting around several feedlots and seed warehouses. They work well in heavier loads on pigeons also.

I haven't seen any No. 10 shot in at least 20 years. No. 12 is still loaded in some .22 'rat shot' loads, especially the all-brass crimped ones. I measured some CCI .22 mag snake loads for an article a couple of years ago. They measured out at #11 shot (.060).

HOA - I have the new press catalog from Fiocchi and there is no mention of any shot sizes smaller than No. 9.
TMB
________
Vaporizer wiki

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:59 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:46 am  Reply with quote

I got some #12 shot from Ballistic Products.
I load it in revolver shot shells so I can keep the yard snake-free.
At 6 ft, the 32 mag load (about 70 gr) does quite a job on the head of a mocassin.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Most woodcock shooting is pretty darned close, the birds aren't hard to kill, and 9's work OK--especially in the first barrel, if you're shooting a double. But you want an open choke and not more than an ounce (preferably less) or else you can put a lot of pellets in the bird, even a small one the size of a woodcock. I have an old woodcock hunting book in which they discuss 10's as being favored by some hunters. This was back around WWII.
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

9's are traditional for woodcock where I hunt. Woodcock don't carry much shot and 9's are just the right medicine for the typicaly close shots those birds provide.
Hoashooter's comment nothwithstanding, I have used 10's for snipe all my life (and that's along time).
The diameter of 10's (.07) appears to me to create less air resistance at a given velocity--I regularly take snipe at ranges you might find hard to believe with an ounce of this tiny shot. Very few snipe that I shoot are retrieved that are not stone dead
B&P offered 10's in 1 1/16 oz. loads @1228 fps in the last few years and may still do so--I prefer to re-load my own snipe loads.
Please do not construe my coments as carte blanche recommendation for 10's but rather my own preference and experience.
NOW as to 11's. I have no personal experience with 11's but 20 years or so ago I was in a gunshop in Baton Rouge and observed an employee loading 16gauge shells with 11's. Initially I got no response to my question as to what these things would be used for but on a later visit I was informed by the proprietor that he had a customer who annually shot robins (yep, 'Robin red-breast') for what many cajuns refer to as red-breast gumbo. Illegal to be sure but, as I understand it, a tradition in many communities.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

Hoa, it was RIO that was offering factory 12's in 12g, and .410 IIRC. Think I saw them in one of the recent Cheaper than dirt fliers.