16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Swapping primers
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone got experience in swapping primers from a published load, and it patterns better with a different primer.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23318&highlight=primers

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Any component change can affect a pattern either good or bad.

Primers generally affect the consistency of a load, which in turn can affect the pattern.

There is only one way to know for sure. Pattern the load. No one else is shooting your gun with your chokes and your loads. You gotta do the work to know for sure.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

Skeettx:
Appreciate the post, however, not what I知 looking for. Let me explain. I知 loading federal 20 gauge top gun hulls. Load is from alliant. Calls for 15.5 gr green dot, fed 209A primer, windjammer wad and 7/8 oz shot. My crimp is .060. Went to pattern and that load was horrible. So just looking for a better pattern I loaded same load with win 209 and another with fed 209. The fed 209 was a great pattern and the win 209 not as good but better then the fed209A that the load calls for. I was amazed that the pattern was better with a different primer. So now I wonder why? The load was patterned out of same gun(o/u) same barrel at 40 yards off a rest with same POA. Any help would be appreciated. I haven稚 chronographed them yet, and I知 guessing maybe velocity is the factor.
All loads were hand loaded with weighing powder and shot, all loaded same way on mec 600
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

PM sent

dap
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Skeettx:
Appreciate the post, however, not what I知 looking for. Let me explain. I知 loading federal 20 gauge top gun hulls. Load is from alliant. Calls for 15.5 gr green dot, fed 209A primer, windjammer wad and 7/8 oz shot. My crimp is .060. Went to pattern and that load was horrible. So just looking for a better pattern I loaded same load with win 209 and another with fed 209. The fed 209 was a great pattern and the win 209 not as good but better then the fed209A that the load calls for. I was amazed that the pattern was better with a different primer. So now I wonder why? The load was patterned out of same gun(o/u) same barrel at 40 yards off a rest with same POA. Any help would be appreciated. I haven稚 chronographed them yet, and I知 guessing maybe velocity is the factor.
All loads were hand loaded with weighing powder and shot, all loaded same way on mec 600

How many shots with each primer are you using to determine pattern?
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Dap:
I started with 2, but upon marks advice I知 going to reshoot with 3 rounds. I知 waiting on a stand for my chronograph so all I have now is paper. According to the load data they are all at 1200 fps. Do you have a recommendation? I have a bunch of these federal hulls.