16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Memorial Day
gjw
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:31 am  Reply with quote

I posted this on another board, but thought I'd post it here as well.

Lets not forget what today stands for. Picnics and gatherings with family and friends are great. But, today is the day we honor those who gave their all in defense of our freedoms and the security of this great nation. That should be first in our thoughts today.

In memory of my beloved Father, Julius M. Westberg, 3rd Bn, 351st Inf Regt, 88th Inf Div ("The Blue Devils" - as the Germans called the division). CIB, BSM, PH w/OLC. Fought in the Italian Campaign from entering Rome thru the occupation.

The finest man I've ever known.

May God hold each of those men and women in his loving arms.

God bless them.

Greg

FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Wrote a retired SGM predawn this morning to thank him.

The flag flys out front and my late Father’s WWII “navies” hang inside the front door as they do every Memorial Day.

With gratitude,
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Today is one of those days when we honor not only those who we didn't know but who gave all, but also those we knew.

Member milpritpl was a good friend of mine. I introduced him to the site years ago, though he only posted here once. He passed a month ago.

He was a lifer, a "bulletproof" light infantry colonel who loved hunting, shooting, backcountry hiking and climbing and the outdoors in general. His 16 ... he had a couple, a Parker and a couple more. Company commander in the 82nd before Vietnam, two tours a village advisor in Vietnam, a series of significant positions on the Army staff, at the highest levels. He was the only man I've known who held a Distinguished Service Medal - the highest decoration given for service, not valor, and one usually reserved for generals. The Army kept him on past 30 years' active duty - a rare recognition. And yet he was the most modest, friendly, and humane of people. No veteran's bumper stickers or license plates. No bragging. In service, his first and overriding concern was the welfare of soldiers. He was the kind of man who, on meeting him, you just wanted to follow.

His wife and he met in grade school. She passed last Thanksgiving after a long illness. He passed in his sleep of old age and some degree of a broken heart. They were both wonderful people. Everyone who knew them misses them horribly.

Every one of the servicemen and women we honor today had a story. Some, like milpritpl, had a long and detailed one. Others, not so much. But they all gave all they had for us. We should remember and honor them.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Memorial Day,

This was written by my son Kyle, who is retiring this year after a 20 year career in the Marines:

"Remember the purpose of today; it's not to thank a veteran for their service, a free day off work, or an excuse to party on a Monday.

Today is a day to remember the Americans that have preserved this Democratic Republic. Celebrate them today and cherish the freedoms that their sacrifices have preserved."

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Mark,

Your son is absolutely correct, this is the day we as a country remember the brave men & ladies who gave us our freedom to live in the greatest country God ever created, may we never forget what they have done.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Memorial Day always exerts a heavy pull on my heart, for two reasons that conflict one another. I am in awe of all who have managed to keep us free for so great a time through immense sacrifice of their own. I am also heavily burdened by the fact that so few seem to truly comprehend this. One thing is beyond any doubt though, I know which group I shall always honor and hold monumental regard for.