16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Overshot card wad
870wingmaster
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone here used manilla folders to make their overshot card wads. I have access to thousands of 5/8 inch punchouts from maniila folder material. They fit very well into my empty hulls, and if I had to guess I would imagine they would also work for 12 ga reloads. I reloaded about 100 shells using them, and I had no problems when they were fired. Is 5/8 inches the size they are supposed to be for 16ga? They made for great crimps.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

As long as they fit in the hull, no problem.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Dave---anything from pinto beans to ??? will work as long as it takes up the space and will not adhere itself to the shot.I place my fillers on top of the shot to avoid running one up into the shot drop tube.Mine are also considered "TRASH" by a local company and are free Wink
870wingmaster
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

I was under the impression that pinto beans were used as a filer to get the shot column higher up the hull and an overshot card was placed on top of the shot to get the shell to crimp better. Will it do the same thing to just raise the shot using ???? to the correct level? Just curious.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

870--Sorry I was taking a nap while reading the thread and talking to the old lady at the same time Embarassed Embarassed You will do fine for an OVERSHOT wad using the manilla folder--just make sure it is a firm crimp----damn oldtimer's disease
870wingmaster
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Hey thanks for clearing that up. I'm still very new to reloading, so I thought I'd see.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

870wingmaster wrote:
I was under the impression that pinto beans were used as a filer to get the shot column higher up the hull and an overshot card was placed on top of the shot to get the shell to crimp better. Will it do the same thing to just raise the shot using ???? to the correct level? Just curious.

If your not roll crimping your loads, and only trying to increase the inside volume for the purpose of a good crimp. Either option will work. Add pinto beans to shot, place a shot card in the bottom of the wad, or as you're doing. Use a overshot card or two as required. Me, I prefer to trim the case to the length I need for a good crimp. But all my guns are of the break open kind, and can shoot most any length. Being 2-3/4" or shorter. Wink

Slidehammer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

I have used two or three topwads cut from manila folder type materials in roll crimp hunting loads. Many years ago when Federal was "the last on the block" to go to folded crimp they roll crimped using a topwad they called "frangible"... They indeed broke into little pieces on firing and were good loads to be sure. My manila wads stacked for strength also went there separate ways from out of the muzzle and patterns were almost as trouble-free as Federal's old wad. I still search for a material to duplicate what Federal use to use...

I would adjust my loader long before I put any wad on top of my shot. I have used it (cardwad) over buffered loads with size 4 and larger shot. You look at enough patterns and you will see the card want to be a "rudder" every so often.... Hence the reason Federal's old wad was the best...

Slidehammer