16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  BPS vs M37
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't. Go over to shotgun world and ask in the Ithaca forum. Or just give
Diamond Gunsmithing a call. That gun will love Bismuth.
John Singer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:39 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Thanks, interesting feature...

Anyone shooting steel #3 through their 37 fixed full barrel? yeah/neah?? I know the concerns/warnings regarding this practice but have also read #3 and smaller sized steel through fixed full isn't devastating, thus the inquiry.

I would recommend against it. I have fired #4 steel through a 12 gauge full choke Winchoke tube for turkeys.

The tube is scored. The issue is that the inside diameter of a full choke is smaller than the outside diameter of the shot column. Something has to give.

It is a simple matter to have the full choke opened to modified to alleviate the issue. I have done it myself with several 16 gauge guns. I did not fire steel through them until after I opened the chokes.

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:31 am  Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback, understand the possible dangers of it, the thick skinned VP80/PT1680 has ~0.600" nominal ID and the choke is 0.640", thus the inquiry, was hesitant, so won't at least until I know I'm going to keep it and possibly put tubes in it. So, hunt the 90 & 37 w/bis and clean up crips w/steel through the 870 that has Colonial tubes this weekend....oh the horror Very Happy

John, going to be up in your old neck of the woods w/your LOB through the weekend, looking forward to it. Thanks again for such a well built boat. Fabricated and installed a new spray shield on it last week, good to go.

John Singer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:25 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:

John, going to be up in your old neck of the woods w/your LOB through the weekend, looking forward to it. Thanks again for such a well built boat. Fabricated and installed a new spray shield on it last week, good to go.

Outstanding, have a great hunt.

Since moving to Minnesota, I have done very little duck hunting.

This year, I have had a ball upland hunting.

I have shot 19 wild pheasants this season in Iowa and Minnesota. All with 16 gauge, about half with bismuth and half with steel. In addition, I have not lost a single bird.

duckdup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

Had a 37 which replaced a pair of Model 12s (16 & 12), still have BPS. Twin bars & top safety with a straight stock of the upland BPS sold me. Also, the 37 I had rattled a lot more when stalking/jump shooting. Upland BPS in 16 & 12 with extra barrels in 26 & 30 respectively for waterfowl (except the 22 inch barrel is used when hunting woodies from canoe on small streams). But each person needs to find what feels right and hits where its's pointed...

Happy Thanksgiving

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...