16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lee Loader for 16ga
salish
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

I came across a Lee Loader for the 16a in a LGS. I didn't even know Lee made these for shotgun reloading. The one I found is for 2-3/4", but does anyone here know if these loaders will work with 2-9/16" shells? And if they can, would a person be able to reload with Bismuth or other non-tox shot such as Nice Shot? Thanks.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Save your money and buy a Mec Jr. I had a Lee and sold it. I don’t think you can do 2-1/2”. It’s easy with the Mec.
salish
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy, I'm talking about the smaller Lee Loader for shotshells, not the Lee Loadall shotshell press. This is the small one-shell-at-a-time reloader.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

My first shotshell reloads were done with a Lee Loader and I have one of the later style 16 gauge loaders. I don't use the loader to load shells, but the shot dippers are handy to load a few rounds. Generally, they will come pretty close in weight as does a shot busing in a conventional loader. A couple days ago, I wanted 5 rounds of 1 1/8 oz. #7 shot to take on a quail hunt. I de-primed, primed, started the crimps and crimped the rounds on my MEC, but weighed the powder with a scale and dipped the shot charges. That way I didn't have to change out bushing or adjust the powder measure.

You might be able to crimp the 2 9/16" hulls buy placing a washer of the same or slight smaller diameter as the case head under the head when pushing the crimp tool down to make the crimp.

As far as loading no-tox ammo, you will have to weigh at least the shot charge and probably the powder charge, too. The dippers will not measure the correct weight of shot. The powder dippers are probably not going to work for most powders now used for bismuth/nice. It didn't take me long to buy a scale after I began loading with the Lee Loader. A scale allows much greater flexibility

salish
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

Jagdhund wrote:
My first shotshell reloads were done with a Lee Loader and I have one of the later style 16 gauge loaders. I don't use the loader to load shells, but the shot dippers are handy to load a few rounds. Generally, they will come pretty close in weight as does a shot busing in a conventional loader. A couple days ago, I wanted 5 rounds of 1 1/8 oz. #7 shot to take on a quail hunt. I de-primed, primed, started the crimps and crimped the rounds on my MEC, but weighed the powder with a scale and dipped the shot charges. That way I didn't have to change out bushing or adjust the powder measure.

You might be able to crimp the 2 9/16" hulls buy placing a washer of the same or slight smaller diameter as the case head under the head when pushing the crimp tool down to make the crimp.

As far as loading no-tox ammo, you will have to weigh at least the shot charge and probably the powder charge, too. The dippers will not measure the correct weight of shot. The powder dippers are probably not going to work for most powders now used for bismuth/nice. It didn't take me long to buy a scale after I began loading with the Lee Loader. A scale allows much greater flexibility

Jagdhund, this is very helpful info, thank you. I do have digital and traditional powder scales. I'm an experienced reloader for rifle and handgun, but not so much for shotgun. I do have a Lee Loadall press for 16ga, and it seems to work just fine and gets the job done. I just thought it might be fun to try the old Lee Loader for 16ga. I learned to handload on Lee Loaders before inheriting my dads presses and reloading equipment. I enjoy the slow paced and "grass roots" style of the Lee Loaders and I find it therapeutic in a way that faster paced, higher production presses are not. Your comments on the Bismuth & Nice Shot are very helpful, thanks. I think your idea of "elevating" a 2-9/16" shell with a washer or similar item during the crimping process might work.
df
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:47 am  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
Save your money and buy a Mec Jr. I had a Lee and sold it. I don’t think you can do 2-1/2”. It’s easy with the Mec.

Or if you load quite a bit, get a MEC Sizemaster. I have four of them and they produce great ammo.
Pass on the Lee.
salish
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

DF, thanks.
architect
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

I loaded about 40 shells with this before deciding to just spring for the Sizemaster. I like the ability to just weigh the components on my scale in an assembly line fashion, but I found that pressing to get a good crimp at the right depth was more difficult and time consuming than I wanted to deal with. I like having it around and it takes up no room, but not something to load more than a few test shells with.
duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I keep one for testing new loads. It is faster than adjusting the Sizemaster and assuring the correct powder and shot drops. If more than ten shells are needed, the cover comes off of the MEC. Nostalgic too; that is how I started reloading on my own when I left for college.

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Bill K
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I have a 16 GA Lee Loader in addition to a Lee Load All II.

A Lee Loader is state of the art reloading equipment circa 1870, although I consider it a good piece of reloading equipment to have.

In my opinion you can load 2-1/2" shells with it, but it is s-l-o-w going.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
salish
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:40 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to you last three responders, I've been offline and did not your responses until. I appreciate your comments.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 am  Reply with quote

Add a Precision Reloading roll crimper to the mix and you have a slow but very good reloading setup.
salish
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Add a Precision Reloading roll crimper to the mix and you have a slow but very good reloading setup.

Thank you.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:18 am  Reply with quote

I have used the Lee Loader to make roll crimps in the past on paper hulls. It works, but takes some trial and error to get the OS wad at the right height as I remember. Don't think I've ever used it on plastic hulls.

ashaffer3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Haven't looked at 16's, but the last seceral 10ga Lee Loaders I have seen were listed in the $200-300 range. Prices have gone insane ince they quit making them. I think there is a steady demand from roll crimpers who don't want to pay for a MEC to decap, prime and drop shot and lead.