16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 oz. load using Winchester 572
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Double vision, Is that last load with 572 or GD? This is the one I sent you from yesterdays chronoing
2 1/2 in RST
w209
15.3 GD
SG16
7/8oz
1143,1149,1170,1195,1177 for 1166 avg
If I'd have used the CH209, it probably would have been much closer to avg fps of yours

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
So, if I'm reading this right there is a slight fps increase with the z16 and not much difference in the cci and cheddite primer in recorded fps. I would assume there is also a slight increase in pressure with the Z16 vs SG16. Good work by the way. Much appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks. I enjoy it, and the motivation usually comes from a new-old SxS purchase.

The Z16 version could be a stellar load, but just a bit too much velocity for my oldie. It will be a good one for my modern guns though.

When the SG16-S wads you sent get here I'll try it in the 2 1/2" Ched-hull/Ched primer/20 gr. 572 load above. I got the regular SG16 loads to crimp, but the stack height is just a bit high, and the shot bubbles right to the top after the crimp starter. I think the SG16-S will be perfect, and I can see getting that one tested.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Double vision, Is that last load with 572 or GD? This is the one I sent you from yesterdays chronoing
2 1/2 in RST
w209
15.3 GD
SG16
7/8oz
1143,1149,1170,1195,1177 for 1166 avg
If I'd have used the CH209, it probably would have been much closer to avg fps of yours

Thanks, I forgot to note that. Yes, it's Green Dot and I edited the post.

Savage, how far are you from your chronograph screens? I'm 3 feet from the beginning of the screens.
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Because of our previous conversations about it, I switched from 5 to 3 ft

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Mid South has 8#ers in stock right now . (572)

makintrax73
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 am  Reply with quote

I just chrono'd 5 rounds figured I'd post results:

Cheddite hull cut to 2 9/16" brand new hulls.

Ched primer

21.0 grains of 572

Sg16 wad

"1 oz 7/12" actually 425 grains drop from MEC

full crimp, 6 pnt about .055" avg

‐‐-----------------------

Results:

1262 fps avg

10SD

26 fps ES

Faster than expected no doubt due to 2 3/4 recipe in 2 9/16 hull
Forgot warm up shots - 1 and 2 were easily the slower shots, with warm
Up shots probably get a tighter spread.

Will drop to 20.0 grains and hopefully it stays tight. I'd like a pheasant load 1220 to 1240 fps and tight SD......so far so good.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Good work, makintrax73.

The SG16-S wads that Gull are sending me should arrive sometime today.

My goals are a 1 oz. load in the 1150-1175 range in a 2 1/2" hull.

Once I get things dialed-in a bit I'll send them off for testing and post the results.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

Update:

I received the SG16-Short wads today. Thank you, Robert.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmv1Q5M3j] [/URL]

Things are looking good. The short version of the SG16 yields a much better stack height and the crimps are good without adjusting the reloader. That's saying a lot with all of my recent fiddling around with my Sizemaster's crimping stations.

I loaded up 6 rounds each of Cheddite and Federal hulls.

The Federal version did have a little taller stack height and it benefitted from firm wad pressure.

All of the loads are 2.5" hulls using 20.0 gr. of 572 powder, 1 oz. (437.5 gr.) lead, and the SG16-S (short) wad.

The Cheddite loads are using the common Cheddite 209 (CX2000) primers and the Federal loads have Federal 209A primers.

My guess is we'll see the low 1200's fps. I might load up few with with 19.0 and 19.5 gr. just to get a better feel for the low end.

Tomorrow is looking stormy around here, so hopefully I can get everything chronographed by the end of the week.

Last edited by double vision on Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Double vision: welcome sir, glad they made it. Those look pretty damn good. Can’t wait to see the results.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Decreasing to a 15/16oz payload might be an alternative for the SG16 wad. I've done that with other loads to get a better crimp. The result would be and increase in fps and decrease in psi. Just saying it's an alternative consideration for those of use who don't have a supply of the SG16-S wad.

In general when I had loads tested by Tom the Z16 wad in a cheddite hull would have higher fps and lower psi than the same load with an SG16 wad. Not sure how the different wads will impact results using 572 powder. The chrono results posted in this thread would indicate that its likely to be the case with these loads.

Looking forward to seeing the test results as I have been using 572 with fiber wad loads and like them but I also have several bags of SG16 wads so it would be nice to have a tested load for those.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:33 am  Reply with quote

PatrickB wrote:
Decreasing to a 15/16oz payload might be an alternative for the SG16 wad. I've done that with other loads to get a better crimp. The result would be and increase in fps and decrease in psi. Just saying it's an alternative consideration for those of use who don't have a supply of the SG16-S wad.

In general when I had loads tested by Tom the Z16 wad in a cheddite hull would have higher fps and lower psi than the same load with an SG16 wad. Not sure how the different wads will impact results using 572 powder. The chrono results posted in this thread would indicate that its likely to be the case with these loads.

Looking forward to seeing the test results as I have been using 572 with fiber wad loads and like them but I also have several bags of SG16 wads so it would be nice to have a tested load for those.

I like the Z16 very much, but in my experience they tend to throw tight patterns which can be a great thing. In my specific application my gun has tight chokes and I want to keep the velocity down and go with larger shot, so I leaned toward the SG16's.

The SG16-S wads are currently in stock at Ballistic Products. After Robert kindly sent me a few for preliminary testing I quickly ordered a couple bags for myself. They should show up today.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:15 am  Reply with quote

Agree about Z16 wad patterns....I prefer the SG16....although I'm mostly transitioning to fiber wad loads these days I still need to use up the supply of SG16 wads. Not sure what PSI difference would be between the SG16 and SG16-S wads. Whatever wad you use for testing is what I'd load.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

I shot the first two rounds of Sporting Clays with that 1 oz. load in my 1100 with a modified choke. I have to pattern these loads the breaks were pretty impressive.

You folks gotta stop messing around with loads and try this stuff.

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Just need to load up one more combo, then I'll take them all to the range for a preliminary speed test. After I look over those results i'll pick out 2 or 3 loads to send in for lab testing. I'm still on it, but life is cutting into my time.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Brownells has 572 in stock today.
https://www.brownells.com/reloading/powder/shotshell-powder/572-ball-powder-smokeless-powder-prod117145.aspx

B.