16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  It Doesn’t Take Much
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:23 am  Reply with quote

My skeet career has been looking pretty bleak lately. Low scores, not seeing much improvement, Citori not firing, everyone else shooting great, etc. I was ready to throw in the towel, give it all up. Revert back to a little shooting and gun cleaning and polishing.

Then a letter arrived in the mail. It contained a check from the club for five dollars. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I WON FIVE DOLLARS AT A SKEET SHOOT? NO WAY!!

Drop everything. Go straight downstairs and load up some shells. Clear the calendar. Pack up the truck and get down to the range. More practice! Get some coaching! They’re down there waiting for me!

Five dollars. That’s all it took.

V/R
B.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Brewster: I don't think it was the five dollars. Think you just needed a little extra push. I know it gets frustrating, but what I have figured out is the fun you have is more important than those scores. Sometimes we are just off, you know you missed before pulling the trigger kind of thing. I missed station 3 high house yesterday twice. Needless to say, the four-letter word came about. It didn't help the fact that I picked my head up to see my handy work, which was a miss. My buddy looked at me and said," damn dumb ass why you are picking your head up?" It made me laugh cause no matter what reply, it would have been wrong.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

What JOY, What JOT !!!
Thank you for the uplifting post

I needed that Smile

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

I agree nice post!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Fun stuff, joy in the little things, go get'em tiger.....

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:55 am  Reply with quote

Last time I shot league Trap was about 10yrs ago . My eyes were just going to H+++, and I avged "D" class ... Another guy I knew OK ended up there also . The shootoff you would swear was for the Grand ! Trash talk all over , etc ! I beat him 46 to 45 , and you'd think it was a world ending event over this tiny little trophy ! He still won't talk about it - talk about SMALL things !!

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I shoot skeet league with a great bunch of guys at Pepper's Range in Joplin, MO. We always have an enjoyable time, despite the 90+ temps we deal with this time of year. Last week, I shot OK the first round, missing a couple of the tougher targets for a 22 score. The next round, we were doing our normal bantering and just enjoying being outdoors shooting and suddenly I was on station 7 with no misses. I smoked the singles and called for doubles and promptly shot to the left of low 7. I called for my option and shot to the right of low 7. Talk about not dealing with prosperity, two consecutive misses on the easiest station on the skeet field. Went to station 8 and smoked the high and low house birds for a 23. I had shot my first 25 straight of this season the week before, so I was not in uncharted territory, I think I just lost concentration on what should have been a "gimme" bird.

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Missing either low 7 or high 1 can induce colorful language.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:55 am  Reply with quote

Station 1 high is not a gimme, I've missed that more than my share.
Glad you are back in the game whatever the incentive, depending on where you're shooting might be able to buy a coffee with the leftover!
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:25 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Station 1 high is not a gimme, I've missed that more than my share.

Same here. And one of our members TWICE shot a 99 after missing low 7. He was remarkably composed as he told me about it while consoling me after I missed it.

B.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Like Golf , you have to play all 18holes - and you never can take your eye off the ball !

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

When I was 15 years old, another shooter and I were tied at the end of a 10-bird round of trap from 16 yards for a pound of bacon. I was shooting my dad's 20 ga Ithaca Model 37, and he was shooting a 12 ga Winchester 1897. He suggested a shoot off at no. 3 station from 27 yards. I told him he had an unfair advantage shooting a 12 ga, so he offered to let me use his gun. We would keep shooting until one of us missed. He let me go first, I and got a straight away target that I broke, He got quartering left to right target and missed. He never mentioned it again. However, my dad told everyone he saw how I had beat the guy in a shoot off with his own gun.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

I was on a trap league for 15 years, sponsored by the insurance company I worked for, back when insurance companies had print shops. Pretty early on, the group figured out we were a beer drinking team, with a trap shooting problem. We tied for first one time, and were consistently mid pack. We preferred mid pack, it involved fewer shoot offs.
We were good with that. Show up Wednesday, shoot two quick rounds after work, drink beer in the parking lot until dark. I seldom looked at my score.

Best,
Ted

Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:29 am  Reply with quote

double vision wrote:
Missing either low 7 or high 1 can induce colorful language.

I agree on low 7 but have missed high 1 more times than I care to think about.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Citori16
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:58 am  Reply with quote

I shoot low gun on both skeet & trap, because I only target shoot for hunting practice. On skeet, I’ve transitioned to more “international” style where the pull is random, and the guys usually have a lot of fun trying to throw my shot off, which is great practice for me. My goal is to beat the stake, because that’s about all I normally see of a grouse before it gets in the thick stuff, or dodges behind a tree. As you can guess, 3, 4 & 5 are a bit more challenging to beat the stake, so I practice my mount at home with a flashlight shining at a ceiling corner in the ready position then moving it along the ceiling/wall joint while bringing to mount. It really has improved my hand/eye coordination such that I’m getting closer to the stake, but currently still after it.

The tree bird (high 1) will get me quite often, and it will typically be a spate of misses until I get in the groove again. I skip low 1 & 2 for now because grouse seldom fly towards you & slow down. I also skip the doubles because I only see those in duck hunting, and would prefer to be more deliberate in shooting males only. 6 & 7 are lows only, and then I’ll spend what’s left of my shells on 8 to practice for my woodie ambush spots. First flush last season was a low 7, and he beat me. He‘ll be one of the grudge birds this season, along with another who drummed on 2 separate days, charged one of the dogs before flushing, and beat me more times than I will admit to, from both ground & tree.

Since I don’t keep score, the guys have taken to counting the number of F-bombs for me to have a number. I’m trying to keep it out of the double digits.