16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How to choke a .410 barrel?
jrothWA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Presently own a Mossberg Model 500 in .410 ga.
[current security model 24" cylinder bore barrel}

I'm thinking of getting a second barrel [field barrel with a MOD / Full choking,
BUT not sure how to set the choke.

The intention will be to early grouse and woodcock, so I think that a more open choke will be needed? {havea 5 yr.old Springer for shooting over}

Should I start at a imp. Mod choking or set-up using an IMP. Cyl. or a skeet choking?

Any one with .410 experience available???
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Before you do anything test the patterns with the loads you intend to use at the ranges you expect to hit birds.

Most 410 data is figured for less than 40 yards, so determine what is does now and you may discover it is good already, or a change in shells can deliver what you need versus changing the barrels
John Singer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:07 am  Reply with quote

I have a 410 SxS shotgun with chokes full/full.

I have done some work on such guns to adjust point of impact.

Patterning 410 shotguns at 25 yards, it is difficult to see much of a difference in chokes.

If you get the opportunity, Google 410 choke sizes. Here is something that I found:

"Cylinder is the least restrictive choke size at 0.409″. It is followed by Skeet (0.404″), Improved Cylinder (0.404″), Modified (0.402″), and Full (0.398″)."

The difference between improved cylinder and modified is often only 0.002". Think about that. The difference is only one thousand of an inch on each wall of the barrel.

I suspect the differences in chokes in the 410 are within the margin of error for most production machining.

Someone once told me that you can do more to affect the pattern of a 410 by changing wads than by changing chokes.

bigblue
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I shoot several 410 shotguns my go to is a mod choke with #8 for doddles early season. cyl and ic patterns don't don't carry well past 15 to 20 yards in my experience . My Beretta patterns well out to 35 to 40 yards with full and extra full Briley chokes and a load of #8 3/4oz hard shot . It will take time on the patterning board to see what works for you. The Win HS wad has patterned well for me over any other wad I have tried.
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:25 am  Reply with quote

There are any number of companies that can thread your barrel for screw in chokes.
Mike Orlen, Sumtoy, Jebs, Briley, etc. Gil
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:21 am  Reply with quote

I shoot a new, Upland Gun Company (R.F.M.) sxs .410 with 29-inch barrels, fixed-choked Mod/Full. After taking it out sporting clays shooting a few times, I found myself missing quite a bit with the first, modified barrel and doing quite well with the full-choked barrel. Granted, these are sporting clays targets designed for 12 gauges out to 25, 30, 40, 50-yards plus in some cases.

After some patterning on paper, I found out why. That modified choke throws pretty thin patterns at any kind of range beyond 20 yards or so. The full patterns nicely at close-range and at moderate range with 9s, 8s, 7 1/2s, even and I kind of regret not getting two full chokes in the gun. Might just be my particular gun or loads I'm using but those open chokes in a .410 seem to have a lot of holes in them at any kind of distance.