16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  What to do with my Sweet Sixteen
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

When I got my SS it was with the intention of keeping it as an investment. I picked it up in a little gun shop for $500 it's a 1959 with most of it's bluing and nice wood. I should of just oiled it good and put a way for a few years but I made the mistake of shooting it. Crap I shoot it better then my Citori and other doubles. It's got a tight mod plain barrel which isn't much use in 95% of my hunting, but I'd like to keep the gun original. So I figured I could get a second hand barrel and open it up or have tubes installed. After searching for a barrel I came to the conclusion it would be cheaper to find another bargain A5. I can't see myself ever getting rid of the gun so maybe go ahead and modify it. Open the choke seems obvious but I want to take it to Kansas pheasant hunting next year. Then I thought choke tubes, but in a 50 year old all original SS, what to do.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

I would leave it exactly as it is!

I have had the same experience with a mod choked Remington 11, which is the Remington licensed A5 made here for about 50 years as you probably know.

The Browning Sweet Sixteen is pretty close to the "perfect pheasant gun."

I'd keep it original and KNOW you have a gun that will serve you well on those pheasants. And if you look at it as your designated pheasant gun for that one or two trips a year, you won't be putting that much wear and tear on the old girl.
jchandler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:06 am  Reply with quote

Mattkcc

Keep it like it is....and roll your own spreader loads.

Jeff
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Hey Matt:

Just a suggestion, but I could take it off your hands if it is too troublesome. I would not want you to lose sleep over it Wink

My reasoning:

1 - 1959 my birth year
2 - I live close by and could swing over to get it
3 - I have a bargain A5 to trade to boot - with a tight IC barrel (1946 gun, just after WWII) that I have $135 in

naw - my reasons not good enough! Keep it, shoot it a couple of times per year, and look for another A5 Very Happy

Dr. 16 Gauge
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Keep it as is, that is a great barrel. If you modify it you'll be kicking yourself for it some day down the road. Keep your eyes open for another gun. Look for a standard sixteen with a more open choke and buy it for less than a Sweet barrel. You'll own two of the nicest guns around and you can swap barrels back and forth depending on your need.

Jeff
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff that sounds like a plan I'll keep looking for a A5.
mod11rem
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

I picked up an A-5 last summer with 27.5" mod plain barrel. It kicked the crap out of west TX doves in September and then this winter I killed over 50 ducks and a few geese with it out of a pit blind. I wouldn't touch it. Like Jeff says, just get another one and swap barrels if you want.

That reminds me. I need to post a summary of this winter's outstanding duck season here in ARK. I did most of the damage to the population with my 16's just for fun. My son even put away his 12 and we finished the season shooting the A-5 and a mod 1400 Win, both 16's. Over 100 ducks and 4 geese. I'll post a play by play when I get time.