16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Boss Shotshells for Waterfowl
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Old colonel2 wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:
Old colonel2 wrote:
Were I you I would include a box of #7s for use on cripples.

I like the shot that Boss uses. I have used boss bismuth #7s in reloads on pheasants; they were very effective.

I have also used Boss #5s in reloads, but have not shot enough of them to know.

My unscientific examination of their pellets showed me they had good uniformity of shape, consistent hardness

Their shells are at the high end of SAMI standards. I have Boss Shot-shells in my truck box in case I need them for a non-toxic only area, but have not used their loadings much as I only have two guns I feel comfortable pushing that far.

I wasn't aware Boss was selling loose shot. Nothing on their website that I can find. Is this something they offer only via phone?

Normally they do not sell shot, I was able to purchase some from them several years ago in the spring after all hunting season demand for shells was done. I forget what I paid, but recall it was significantly higher than getting bismuth from precision or bpi

Interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind if the world ever returns to a semblance of sanity.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
salish
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Update on these shells. I bought a case of #6. Our state (Washington) held the early pheasant season this week for 65 and older (commonly referred to as the "geezer" hunt). I managed to get two roosters yesterday at around 25 yards with Boss #6 and they both went down like a sack of spuds. I was using my 1914 Model 12. I may buy a box or two of #5's for chukar and ducks.
Rick O
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

...I've shot BOSS and Kent 5's exclusively past two seasons.
They both stone ducks out to an Honest 50 yards with nice tight patterns, judging by "holes in the birds count" from MOD, sometimes FULL Model 12,16 of course...

I still shoot 1-1/8 oz lead fives at Waterfowl in Foreign Lands, and used to here way back when.
I Firmly Believe that the 1oz Bismuth,is Far Superior to the 1-1/8 Lead.
I think that the 1oz comes out ina short tight string that clobbers or misses.
FWIW, I've lost 1 duck in past two seasons, without a dog, and feel the same about the RST 3/4 oz 7-1/2's on Dove and Quail via IC/MOD Model 21...
Less shot, short tight pattern.
Rambling here, but back in the 70's my boss shot trap and had a PW progressive.
He'd let me swap tubes for 5's and I'd load em in shot out Federal papers. 12 ga 1-1/8 trap load is Fine for duck,and probably was easier on the shoulder too.
salish
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Rick O wrote:
...I've shot BOSS and Kent 5's exclusively past two seasons.
They both stone ducks out to an Honest 50 yards with nice tight patterns, judging by "holes in the birds count" from MOD, sometimes FULL Model 12,16 of course...

I still shoot 1-1/8 oz lead fives at Waterfowl in Foreign Lands, and used to here way back when.
I Firmly Believe that the 1oz Bismuth,is Far Superior to the 1-1/8 Lead.
I think that the 1oz comes out ina short tight string that clobbers or misses.
FWIW, I've lost 1 duck in past two seasons, without a dog, and feel the same about the RST 3/4 oz 7-1/2's on Dove and Quail via IC/MOD Model 21...
Less shot, short tight pattern.
Rambling here, but back in the 70's my boss shot trap and had a PW progressive.
He'd let me swap tubes for 5's and I'd load em in shot out Federal papers. 12 ga 1-1/8 trap load is Fine for duck,and probably was easier on the shoulder too.

Thanks Rick O, I appreciate the info. This particular Model 12 is choked a "light mod" but my other 12 is choked full. I still have quite a bit of lead in 7.5 & 6, so it will be interesting to see where these Boss shells come out in comparison. Our state isn't full-out non-toxic shot, but that's coming eventually. The 1 oz load has always been my favorite load in all of my 16ga guns. Thanks.