16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16ga ammo
probie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Although I made the plunge & jumped back into reloading, i do see 16ga ammo starting to be available again. This includes some offering's i have never seen before.
These includes Bornaghi (Italy) , B&P ( Fiocchi ) Sterling (Turkey), Lambro (Greece), Sellier & Bellot (Czech) and even Takho ( Ukrainian) .

Have any of you tried any of this stuff ? If the price was right, maybe i would pick up a flat or 2 just to get the hulls as there hasn't been any Cheds available for awhile.
If you have tried some of these, are they reloadable ? If so i'm guessing they would be Cheds & Ched data could be used ?

Browning 16 ga, when available, at one time stated theirs were not reloadable (?) I don't know if that has changed. Herters is coming in again but not in 16ga. Read somewhere that Winchester is doing the actual loading (?)
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have used B&P, Fiocchi, Sellier & Bellot all were decent to excellent.

My favorite remains RST.

My favorite hulls, in order Win AA, Activ, Federal, then Cheditte (which includes RST, Current Winchester, Polywad, and new brought hulls)

The best 16ga high pressure was Win Super Double X, Low pressure is RST
probie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Did you try to reload the B&P or Sellier & Bellot ? Would you use Ched data?

I'm already reloading the Fiocchi's w/o any problem. Activ's haha, don't think i've ever seen a hull of theirs. But, I will have appx 500 WCFs if I decide to fire them for the first time.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Some Federal 16 Gauge Game Loads have started showing up in one local shop here in Northern California. #8s and #71/2s -- at $190 a case/$22 a box. Shocked
DUKFVR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

I am shooting the bornaghi. It has been great.
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Just purchased a flat of Winchester CF #8 $250. Top of my price point.

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:36 am  Reply with quote

Having been a committed eurocentric 16 ga ammo proponent for 15 years now, I have slowly but irrevocably become convinced of the superior merits of FEDERAL 16 ga ammo, which set it apart from its competitors. Yes, that ubiquitous label which humbly inhabits the shelves of Wallies across the continent, has become our preferred choice, for mostly technical reasons, although pricing is a factor.

V/R
B.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:55 am  Reply with quote

I am a big fan of Federal as well although mainly reload Cheddites, be it Cheddite hulls, Herters or Winchesters.

Still have 6 flats or so of Herters.

Would pick up ~4 boxes of Federals at Fleet Farm every time they went on sale over the years. Started the year with 80+ boxes of them. And also picked up 6 flats of Federals in January from an online store. Have 8 flats on backorder yet they are scheduled to ship Oct. 12th and have been scheduled to ship before but were cancelled.

If they honor the January price of $128 a flat with free shipping I'll take them. If not they can keep them I have enough components to reload to get me through more than a few years if I have to. Federal has #8 and #7.5 16 game loads on the website right now but want $23 a box, $230 a flat with free shipping LOL. $128 a flat is apparently my upper limit before I start pulling the handle on the 16 ga. MEC 9000. I might as well move the automate, one of Ben's models, from the 12 to the 16. I will buy 12 and 20 Federal top guns all day long over reloading them anymore.

Couple of years ago cleaned out every Walmart in a 50 mile radius when they put the Federal 16 ga. 1 1/8 oz. #6 on sale for $4.99 a box. Wish I would had driven 100 mile radius now but likely have enough to get through my needs for the foreseeable future as it is.

I like Federals shells. No worries about piercing primers on the Comp 16 as well with them.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:57 am  Reply with quote

been a Fed fan since probably 1970 or so . Not that other shells have gotten my attn !! Actic for instance . But in the long run , have to agree with Brewster . The kids trap league and the reg skeet/trap leagues would not exist without Federal . The foreign brands are seeping into the reg leagues , but if you look in the g-can , at the end of the day , it's Feds !! And they have been the only brand that the kids have used . (we did get Rem 20's thru a back door deal , but we know who owns Rem now don't we !)