16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  5/8 lead
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:00 am  Reply with quote

Had some 20/28 collecting dust so thought I'd use it up for summer short range loads. Soft shooter, breaks targets, a little dirty but I use break action guns mostly so no worries. Tested at PR...

2.5" Ched, ched209/cx2000, 17g 20/28, SG16, 5/8oz #9, 6 fold,
avg 1211fps sd23 ev56, 3818psi sd325 ev740. Fits w/no fillers.

Have a similar load using E3 out for testing will post when I get results.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

you rule Putz - kinda the same load I use but use DR's and any fast powder up to 14.5 grns ... even work the 11-48 .

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

I’d like to see what a faster burning powder will do in that load. The way 6/8 oz loads hammer clays it would be fun to try some 5/8 oz loads. There should be about 310 size 8.5’s in a 5/8 oz load.
stevesavage
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Any reason this load wouldn’t work with fiber wads? Low pressure looks good for Damascus barrels as well. Thanks for the load
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:18 am  Reply with quote

Backatcha bud, FWIW; my latest version of your 1.375 Bis load didn't pan out so back to the drawing board....

Been using Promo & RD pushing 5/8oz of lead for summer shorties for several years, work fine until the temp drops and the 9's start splashing off frozen clays.....a bucket full of E3 showed up in a trade so doing some due diligence to be certain it works correctly/safely. Must admit to loading a handful untested to compare and they felt and shot similar to the Rd/Promo load. Unfortunately can't find he RD load's test data or would share as well.

Regarding fiber; in what combination? as a filler in a 2.75 recipe or no plastic just old school stacked?

& Damascus; I have no reference nor experience with it (other than knives) so can't help with that, but can share the outstanding high PSI number was 4150 all others were in the mid-high 3k's. Recoil from these in a #6.7lb Zoli could be described as "cream puff"

stevesavage
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Old school stacked fiber, no plastic. Thanks
stevesavage
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:58 am  Reply with quote

3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Ive never seen a 16 ga load with that low a pressure. I have all the components including 12 lbs 20/28--guess Ill need to get a 5/8 oz bar or modify my 3/4 oz

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:46 am  Reply with quote

stevesavage wrote:

I can't imagine how a nitro & fiber stack could ever come even close to going higher in pressure and with no ob cup probably have some or more blow by and be even lower pressure but probably lower speed. Put a few together and send out for testing.

Only experience I can share with fiber or felt spacers is I add a tyvec patch or 2 in before the shot drop, Re; when patterning and retrieving wads for later study (mostly maxed out 10ga steel loads) the ones with no tyvec sometimes still had shot stuck in the felt and/or plastic. I need every one of those few big pellets downrange, so, I put tyvec in pretty much all my heavy hunting loads now, problem solved.

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:00 am  Reply with quote

Got some interesting test results to share...

This load has been working great for short range summer targets, fun to see how slowly the bottles empty out while at the bench. PR tested...

2 9/16 Ched, Ched209, 13grn E3, SG16, 5/8 #9 lead, 6 fold.

1275, SD7, EV17
6180, EV134, SD320

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:49 am  Reply with quote

That E3 load looks like a great choice for up close work on blue grouse...with #6 shot. I may go make some today while it's raining and try them this afternoon when the wet stuff lets up.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

I finally loaded a few this morning in 2 1/2" Cheddite hulls. They actually could use a filler since the crimps dish a bit, but I can live with it. I should know today how well they perform on grouse at 10-20 yards.

My goal with blue and ruffed grouse is often more of an effort not to shred them to bits at super close range in the timber here. It's different than when I hunted blues in Nevada where the forest is much less dense and shots averaged from 20-50 yards on blue grouse.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:32 am  Reply with quote

This load is a winner on blue grouse with 6 shot!

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:26 am  Reply with quote

WYO ... Precision had some old Alcan 28ga fiber wads a while back for like 3 bucks a bag . That was the whole purpose of getting some - I always have easy to use fillers for anything ! I know some frown on fillers , but some of the places we go with handloading require it - even DR's . Now that DR's are fading , even more essential . And a little 1/8'' thumbnail piece is totally irrevalent to the load ballistics .

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:18 am  Reply with quote

I also recently got another 750 Herters wads , so here's another data pt ! The H wads are for 11/8 , not for me ! However , one of those 5 1/16 wads inserted makes approx a DR length , ssoooo - 15.5 GD , a 25/8 Fed case , one of these wad combos , and 3/4 (fits best)shot , and off to the skeet field . Shot 5 doubles on station 2 (rain coming) . and they were great . Popped out of the 11-48 into a high house pile and a low house pile , all just about touching ! Missed the 1st high and creamed the others . this may be one of my best target loads yet ! (only 2200 wads to go !)