16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Universal charge bar trouble
pheasant16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Buddy moved back home after 20 years in Alaska. Wanted to load a few shells with a MEC 600 with a universal charge bar. Called and said it took a rubber mallet to get the bar to slide to drop shot. After the normal ribbing about being out of practice went over to help him.
I use a 600 but have no experience with the universal charge bar.
With the bottles off, slides freely. With the bottles on and empty, slides freely.
Took a pencil and rubbed a little graphite on the sliding surfaces, which helped a little, but when the bottles are filled, slides freely to drop powder, but hangs up when trying to add shot.
Noticed there is no brass washer under the powder like mine has with a MEC charge bar.
Told him I'd post this, but in the mean time will set up a MEC bar with appropriate bushing so he can finish. Also will sent a little graphite powder.
He was using a flake powder, think I saw a can of 700x on his bench.
He said he doesn't remember it sticking before, told him memory always makes things better with time.
Any ideas to share?
Thanks
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Try adding a little graphite to the shot. Shake it up alittle. Sometimes depends on the grade of shot. Reclaimed shot has may times dirt or little gravel. If manufactured shot set for along time it gets a gray coating. Much of my factory shot I buy I tumble it with a little graphite.
I just suggesting some possible I've come across the last 60 years. Also beware of homemade shot. Theirs alot floating around since shot is expensive and short supply. Good Hunting Bill
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

You need the brass powder seal, it keeps the bar from sticking and powder from leaking.

you can get them direct from MEC if your local dealer doesn't have them

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/600-jr-mark-5-parts#8

8A Brass Washer (1 Per Pack) 100304W $1.23
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:33 am  Reply with quote

Actually you need the brass ring #8A and the grommet #8 that isn't depicted on the 600 parts diagram but is in the SizeMaster diagram as #5 & 6 (same parts as 600).

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/sizemaster-parts

On older Unibars they didn't have the inserts that the newer ones do. Could be a worn out insert if newer, flip it over if worn. The bars sometimes are not smooth/level on the top surface so I lightly draw file a little bit to level. Also, a couple of mine hang up if I over tighten the screw that holds the Pro Check bracket in place, tightened to just snug seems to alleviate the issue.

Seems as though the Co that made the originals is out of business, shame, I think it's a great product. Glad to see BP has what looks like a machined (rather than die cast) version available, although OOS.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:11 am  Reply with quote

nj gsp wrote:
You need the brass powder seal, it keeps the bar from sticking and powder from leaking.

you can get them direct from MEC if your local dealer doesn't have them

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/600-jr-mark-5-parts#8

8A Brass Washer (1 Per Pack) 100304W $1.23

I'm assuming he was talking about the universal bar which can be adjusted at powder or shot end. Without changing bushings.
I never seen a universal with rubber or brass bushings.
pheasant16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:17 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas. Had hoped to set up a MEC bar for him, but my biggest 302 is 1 1/8, he shoots a 12 and needs 1 1/2 ounces. Too bad the 650 progressive bars components are reversed do have one of them.
Will see if the brass washer works with the universal bar.
You're right about the shot, he bought it in the 70's and has a nice white powdery coating. Will tell him to add a squirt to it and shake it up, along with the bar itself.
pheasant16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Mystery solved.
He found a brass washer in the box the bar came in, put it under the powder bottle, and it slides freely now.
So the universal works just like the MEC bar in this respect.
All the little things we forget when we don't use the skill routinely.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:30 am  Reply with quote

pheasant16 wrote:
Mystery solved.
He found a brass washer in the box the bar came in, put it under the powder bottle, and it slides freely now.
So the universal works just like the MEC bar in this respect.
All the little things we forget when we don't use the skill routinely.

I've found the special brass washer is needed with both standard and universal charge bars. I have a standard charge bar on the 12 gauge 9000 progressive, and have a universal charge bar on a 600 Sizemaster 16 gauge press.

You can get by without it, but the bar will hang up if the bottle is tightened down too much or when using a fine grain powder. And yes, the brass washer is used in addition to the rubber washer/seal.