16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  BBQ Grouse on the Natural Gas Grill - MMM, MMM Great!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Ate the last 2 of my 4 Grouse that I took from the 1st 2 weeks of the Grouse Season here in Pa, last night for dinner.

I started BBQing my Grouse on the Grill this year and was very pleased with the dinners. I usually Grill 2 Grouse on my Natural gas Grill, but prior to cooking the Grouse I cook some Red Potatoes in a little BBQ sauce along with some mushrooms and Onions as my side dish. It really turns out quite well.

The BBQ Grouse Are done in this manner on medium heat, basting as I cook. only takes about 15 minutes, turning the Grouse often and rebasting often. The trick is to not over cook the Grouse, so the length of time varies with the size of each Grouse. The 1st year grouse I took was done in less than 15 minutes where the bigger Grouse took a little longer.
I let the legs attached to the Grouse Breast as I BBQ. I should have been doing this long ago, I was afraid to try it, thinking I might over cook the Grouse.

It came out tasting incredible, even had a little Cranberry sauce with it. The onions and small Red Potatoes were out of this world good in the BBQ sauce.

Fresh Grouse, Red Potatoes and Onions, BBQ to protection! I ate both Grouse myself, gave a little to the Gordon Pup also.

all the best,

Pine creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:02 am  Reply with quote

Sounds great , Dave !! The Grouse I always liked best were ones that had been feasting on apples and had that slight flavor and yee haww on the grilling !

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:23 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

You bet the Grouse feeding on apples are seriously great eating, my favorite Grouse to eat are the Grouse that have been feeding wild Grapes. 1st or 2nd year birds, tender with the slight grape taste, I just love the taste of those birds. The BBQ makes it special also.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:29 am  Reply with quote

PC/Dave,

You definitely got my attention, grilling can be great with wild game. We’re your birds skinned or plucked?

B.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11,

I removed the intrels of these Grouse myself as I prepared them for cooking, very carefully, and removed the Wings & Tail before plucking the breasts fully clean then washed them in cool water.
I did not use the wings in the wild to skin the Grouse, I have done this in the past and found it dries out the Grouse before I want to prepare it for cooking.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man