16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herter's are back
probie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:26 am  Reply with quote

What a ride ! After reading about how everyone liked them when they first came out because of their decent price to where everyone hated them for their lack of quality, to where most everyone believed they were finished. Stopped in the local BassPro/ Cabela's over the weekend and the Herter's brand ammo is all over the shelves in most of the popular calibers. Found the original green box in 16ga. They had 6s or 7 1/2s @ $15.99/box. Loads are the present Win Super X 1oz/1165fps loads. Made in France, just like the current Super Xs. Hulls are black now & have 4 stars; Cheddites! I'll be using Ched data. BUT, they are shorter shells, not 2 1/2s but not 2 3/4 either. I thought i had finally gained some confidence over these last few months reloading all the different brands with very little adjustments to make up for varying differences to get a proper crimp. How would I handle these that are noticeably shorter? I'm using the Mec Sizemaster.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

I think there are two ways to handle. 1- cut all your hulls to the same length and the other is to make adjustments when you change hulls. It's not really all that difficult to make adjustments. If you don't care about holes in the crimp or swirls, then maybe less adjustments.
Buy a bunch of Herter's hulls and set up another reloader for just them. I normally reload in batches of hulls. In my experience it's just a part of reloading to make adjustments. My 2 1/2 hulls have their own reloader and its doesn't change, until I switch to a different brand, which probably isn't going to happen any time soon.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

At 16.00 SMACKERS l believe I'll pass that up for awhile.
160.00 a flat from 59.00. Maybe wait 6 months or so.
df
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Sure glad I have a few cases of the $59 variety oh Herters 16 ga loads. I shoot a couple boxes, reload the empties 3-4 times, toss the empties, and repeat.
ole_270
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:42 am  Reply with quote

Glad I’ve still got 4 unopened flats of the $59 delivered variety. They don’t load as many times as a couple other types, but do well for the money
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

The irony, right. We are starting to see the ammo shelves fill up again will all sorts of offerings -- but the prices are crazy, ridiculously high.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
At 16.00 SMACKERS l believe I'll pass that up for awhile.

Our club has Fed Game Loads at the same price. Keeping the empties eases the pain somewhat. I buy one box for every four reload boxes, which should keep me in hulls for a while.

B.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Not the worst I've seen, but at $10/box more than they were before Cabela's went Bass Pro, I can wait.

And recall, Cabela's/Bass Pro went to sourcing the Herter's ammo as American-made as part of the justification for ditching the "old" Herter's line. Now they're back to buying wherever they can get them.

BTW, I was hunting up in Aroostook last week. I was in a store with ammo where they had high brass Winchester 16 ga #6 for only 29.99.

probie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:29 am  Reply with quote

"BTW, I was hunting up in Aroostook last week. I was in a store with ammo where they had high brass Winchester 16 ga #6 for only 29.99."

hahahahh.. I think i'll pass on that. Made either in Australia or France .
Late last winter I stumbled on some Rio's & Nobles w/#6s and they were "only" $17/box. Bote shot great & hulls were highly reloadable. I'd buy them again instead of the winnys. [/b]
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

So, at $15.99/box, a couple rounds of trap would run almost $45 with range fees. Yikes! I'll pass, and keep reloading my own.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

$15.99 is a high price, but let's look at today's cost of reloading. The prices per round below reflect our club bulk pricing which is a best case scenario:

Hull: 5 cents, assuming 4 firings and BPI price of 20 cents new (first primer is free).
Primer: 7 cents, our club rate for Cheddite. New shipment of Nobels will be lower.
Powder: 10 cents
Wad: 5 cents (BPI)
Shot: 16 cents, latest club rate for new West Coast

Total: 43 cents per round, or $10.75 per box. This is likely a best case number because shipping and HAZMAT fees are not included.

The empties from the new factory box are worth 15 cents each, assuming 3 more firings, so the net price of a new box is $12.25. The cost savings for reloading is therefore $1.50 per box, at best. I can reload 4 boxes per hour in my 600 Jr and make $6 per hour at that rate...which I do under Chester's supervision. That compares to $7 per hour which time and motion experts have calculated to be the hourly rate for picking up pennies off the ground.

Now some will say "my basement is full of lead shot and I have 32 pounds of powder in the garage". Fine. You could use some of it to reload 16ga ammo, and let the next owner of the house take the rest of it to the hazardous waste site - not the best plan. Or you could take it down to the local gun show this weekend and get a 20 percent premium on everything and take home enough to buy a new Fausti - a much better plan.

Bottom line: Shooting has become much costlier than a couple years ago.

V/R

B.
ole_270
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

Shot cost has me thinking about a shotmaker. I'm sitting on about 800 lbs of cleaned and tested range lead as well as quite a bit of linotype. I don't shoot as much cast bullets as I used to so might as well use it for shotgun use.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:28 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:

Bottom line: Shooting has become much costlier than a couple years ago.

V/R

B.

Yes it has. When lead broke $9.99 a bag and headed toward $20 many said they would quit shooting. Some still are and it is now knocking on the door of $70 a bag with tax.

Targets, gas, food and everything else to shoot and live is more expensive as well. But my retirement fund has dropped like a rock and at this point wondering if I'm going to keep working until I fart dust.

Great minds really do think alike I had run the numbers through the cost calculator the day before you posted this. I came in a dollar a box cheaper then you and then realized I had put in primers at .04 each because I have (had) 10K Cheddite at $25\K and another 10K at $$29\K less than 2 years ago. But since Covid picked up 5K W209 and 5K Federals at close to $400\5K each so put that in instead and came out spot on to your numbers. I like you use replacement cost not what I paid years ago.

Haven't reloaded for the 12 and 20 for years and 8-10 years ago donated all my 12 ga. hulls and wads to Black Belt who is the coach for a HS Trap team. Then when COVID hit and even 12 ga. shells disappeared I started picking up STS and Nitro hulls on the ground again. Lesson learned and my garage is half full of hulls, powder, shot and wads. Will not be selling or donating what I have now. And this winter when I redo my will they will be in it.

In January bought 6 flats of 16ga. Federals at $128 a flat delivered and I cringed. They still owe me 8 flats yet and show as on backordered at $128 a flat yet. The price on the website is now $166.20. Been telling myself if they charge me that much when they come in they can keep them. They keep pushing the delivery date out and now it is January of next year.

Thinking it through if they do finally get delivered in January even at $166.20 I'll take them. Because hulls. Even though I have thousands of Cheddites many still new primed you can never have too many especially in 16. Because you never know.

Federal will sell them to you direct at $23 a box ($149+ you get free shipping) with tax they come in at $25 a box or $1 a shell.

https://www.federalpremium.com/shotshell/federal-upland-waterfowl/game-load-upland/11-H160+7.5.html

$16.62 a box doesn't look so bad after that. Since COVID my shooting has dropped a lot almost in half but still shoot ~4k-5k in 16 a year. So $10 a box is "more gooder" as it does add up with volume. 12 and 20 when I can get them at $80-$90 a flat I'm buying them and throwing them in the reloading room. When my youngest son was shooting with me I was loading 20K a year and I've had my fill of reloading. Except for the 16. 12 and 20 only if I have to. All on MEC 9000's including one of Ben's first automates.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

I've been lucky so far this year. Since I just shoot trap games the shooting I've been doing has paid me back a little. By that I mean the winning has paid for all my games each night I shoot plus maybe 20 to thirty dollars take home money. I figure that paid for the better part of my gas. With the supplies I have bought up for the last 5 to 6 years will do me for a long while. On top of that I will be making my own shot coming spring. I had a friend that was leaving this world to go to the big time shoot in the Havens left me. So I'm good for a couple years. But by that time their may not be any clubs left. I think thats the plan our sinister politations have in mind and most voters refuse to see the corruption. Anyway I hope I'm wrong but sad to say the last 30 years I've called it right. Bill
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

It's all pretty ridiculous anymore. I still stick to reloading, especially since I can have control over what is going into the ammo I use and the monetary savings are greater from my perspective when I consider what premium hunting ammo costs rather than "this is the cheapest stuff I can find".

An interesting side note. The biggest part of cost in loading ammo is still the shot charge. This is why my target practice stuff is only 5/8 oz. It makes a big difference in the cost per box. However, steel shot hasn't seen near the hike in price that lead shot has. My cost of reloading steel ammo hasn't risen terribly over recent years. Ironically, my lead loads now cost almost the same to load as my steel shot loads, thanks to $65/ bag WC or Lawrence mag lead. I'll just say that it's a good thing I went debt free about the same time all of this nonsense hit.