16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  28 or 30 ?
bigblue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

I value the opinions I have received from members on this board . My question is looking for a 686 20gauge to finish off the stable most of my O/U have 28 inch 12 28 410 with a 30 inch 12gauge 686 which I am luke warm about. Word has it that in the 20 30inch is the way to go in a clays gun . Any thoughts ?
df
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve not shot a 30”, but like 28” on my over/unders, in all gauges.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

30" for a clays gun in 20 gauge, IMO is the correct way to go.

I have a 28" 12 gauge and a 28" 16 gauge both O/U's and I wish they both had 30" barrels for hunting and clays.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

bb,

A lot of Clays shooters using a 20 gauge gun like the 30" barrels, however my designated Clays gun for gunning at Nemacolin, on the course we had set up thru the woods for Grouse hunting was my Citori 28/20 Combo gun with Barrels just under 28" long. It swung well and was nicely balanced for the Grouse type shots we did.
I could make all the different shots with the 28" barrels, as well as the other men using their 30" barrels. My advise is if you like 28" barrels for the balance and swing of your gun, stay with the 28" barrels.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

The 30'" splits the difference between 28 and 32".
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

I can muddy those waters for ya…

The better shots on my team shoot 28”. Sometimes 30”. I’m the low man with 26”, but I doubt 30” would make the difference, unless my average was 24.95 & I was looking for 25….and the moon was right, and the stars aligned, and the wind was calm , and the sun not in my eyes, and my coffee not too strong, and the road shorter or longer, and the puller not too fast or slow, and I didn’t shoot low gun, and…

Go with what you know. There are bigger things to worry about…

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

I assume you are talking the 686 SP I Field if you are debating between 28" and 30". Personally I'd go with the 686 20 ga. Sporting for clays and it is not offered in 28" only 30" and 32". 30" or 32" only, that should say a lot right there....

You did say clay gun and the SP I sporting is a half to 3/4 pounds heavier than the field in 20 ga. The field usually comes in ~6 pounds. My hunting guns pretty much all come in at 6 pounds. My clay guns start at 7 pounds.

My hunting partner hunts with a 30" Coles Custom 686 SP 20 ga. and he has said more than once that he wouldn't go any shorter. And yes that is ruff grouse. His clays 20 ga. is a 32" Caesar Guerini.

I have 3 20 ga. guns all are clays guns.

28" Winchester 23, I use it for skeet occasionally, I don't shoot targets much longer than that with it.

30" Dickinson Plantation Sporter from Pacific Sporting Arms. Have the matching 30" 16 ga. and they are 2 oz. of each other. OK for most clay games, especially as most SxS clay venues are setup pretty soft but I use it across the board and all year.

32" Rizzini BR110 Sporter. For big boy targets and when I need to get serious. The trapper for one of the 5 stands I shoot at was the World FITASC Class winner at Caribou a few years ago. Trapshooters and others often come over to shoot a round and never come back. I hope he never softens the targets up, it is a good mix as is.

With a lighter gun I find longer barrels help with clays. A lot. Especially if they are throwing decent targets.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:15 am  Reply with quote

Go 30" -- As a factor in shooting performance, I think barrel length beyond 28" is moot and mostly between the ears of the shooter. The "real deal" is all about "wield-ability" - balance and fit - and that can be worked out regardless of barrel length. However, all that having been said, I often promise myself I will never buy another double of any gauge with barrels shorter than 30". I like the way doubles, be they SxS or O/U look with longer barrels -- so between my particular ears, it's also about aesthetics. Now, I'm a shorter, small-frame guy. With barrel lengths around 32" and up I have to be careful of dragging them on the ground when the gun is open Laughing !

Remember, if you're accustomed to repeaters (pumps and autos), their action lengths are about 3" longer, so for about the same over all gun length from trigger to muzzle a double is going to have barrels about about 2" or so longer.

Cheers! and Happy Holidays!
Tony

P.S. -- If you're thinking of re-sale value, the trend for the last several decades is to longer barrels. So if 28 vs. 30 is the choice, definitely buy a 30" for value retention. Who knows . . . you might not agree with the gun or have to part with it sooner than you can presently imagine for any number of reasons. With 30's, it will go down the road sooner and for more.
DUKFVR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:32 am  Reply with quote

30 IMO.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

Absolutely love my CXS 20 gauge 30"
Researcher
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

While I own all common lengths of barrels, over the past 60 years I've fired far more shells through 28-inch barrels than all others combined. My three most used Ansley H. Fox doubles are all 28-inch, my Model 3200 tubed Skeet Gun is 28-inch, seven of my eight Browning Superposeds are 28-inch, etc.

salish
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Years ago I shot a buddy's 32" barreled sxs while chukar hunting in Washington and
I shot better with it than I did my own gun. Something about the longer barrels
slowing the swing down? Last year I found an old LC Smith 12ga with 34"
barrels and I snatched it up. I do shoot better with it in the chukar canyons
but the gun is heavy enough that I still prefer my 16ga guns for upland. The
old Elsie has become my turkey gun, and I may try waterfowl with it.

Last edited by salish on Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

25” for birds, 32 for clays.
bigblue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:22 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks all for the replies and advice much appreciated. Pulled the trigger on a 30" Sporting as I don't need another field gun now it's off to Briley to do it up right. Regards BB
jswanson
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:25 am  Reply with quote

I shoot a lefever H grade at times on clays and Skeet, it has 26” and I do well with it.I think if it’s well balanced and handles well length isn’t so important.