16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  BPI Wtreme spreader wad
probie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

With pheasant season near over here and some really lousy weather, figure I need a new project to putz around with(sorry Putz, no insult intended). Guess i'm a sucker for intrigue. Do these things work at all? The way I read it is if you use it in a 16ga , you remove the petals on the SG16. If using a BPI load(always suspect for some) they say no load adjustment is needed. What if you use another published load; do you make an adjustment ie use 1 1/8 load data but remove 1/8 oz of shot? I know Mike Campbell did a paper on this but some of it seems to be omitted here. Is shot size restricted? I'd like to use either 5 or 6. Another article said anything larger than 6 can't be used. Anyone else try these? Thanks
Citori16
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have used them in #9 target loads fairly successfully. I use Poly-Wad Spred-R’s in my combo #5/#7.5 loads, but did pattern them with the X-treme spreader and they worked well, just not as well as the Spred-Rs. There was just a tad bit more even dispersal with the Spred-Rs. Depending on shot size, you may have to adjust the shot charge to accommodate.

You will get a slightly larger pattern, but I was more interested in the density of the pattern. It really depends on your choke, shot velocity & charge weight. It’s worth the experiment, IMHO. And, to be sure, you can still miss with them, there is no magic pattern…you have to be on.

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:23 am  Reply with quote

Hey, I resemble that remark....Putz-on Paisan... Very Happy

Similar to Citori16 I haven't used the Xtreme Spreader but have the Polywad disc with stem. Worked in loads as intended but as mentioned needed some pattern board work to dial in, guessing the same with the Xtreme insert. Nice way to turn a tight choked single barrel into a mock double. As you've learned, the insert needs to take up some room in there so the shot drop usually is modified/lessened to fit.

If/when you play (putz) with them please share your results.

Citori16, have you taken a look at the 16ga Holiday Giveaway thread recently??

probie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Yes, i'll make mention of it after i put some together & test them. Still would like to get an idea from someone on what charges to use since BPI only commented on using their own loads; ie use their exact load and just replace the wad with the spreader after cutting off the petals. Can it be that simple ? Additionally, will they work with 5s? I would think there might be a further pellet reduction with 5s which may not be acceptable. Kent does make a 1oz #5 load but i'm sure the ballistics are different without the spreader.
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:11 am  Reply with quote

Probie: X-Treme will work with 5’s & some loads with 4’s depending on the room. Beyond that you start having to reduce shot charge more than I care to. You will definitely have to experiment.

I do not remove the petals normally as I prefer not to lead up the barrels, and yes I have experimented with that…leaves actual chunks of pellets on the barrels in my gun with chilled lead. I have thought about using mylar when the petals are removed to avoid that but have not pulled that trigger. When using SG16 or SG16S, there is a sweet spot where you can drop the X-treme fully into the shot cup: if you look at the petal breaks & turn the X-treme where the leafs are 90 degrees from that you can fit everything together nicely. Remember to either short stroke the handle to drop shot or adjust the drop tube to accommodate the X-wad, otherwise you will have a mess when the X-wad sticks in the tube..sounds obvious until you forget. I am toying with the idea of using the Z16, as the X-wad drops right into the shot cup with those. (Sorry, I switched to “X-wad” to avoid auto-correct). This works best with a single stage reloader, which is why I will not get rid of my 600 jr.

For recipes, to start on the safe side, I reduce the shot charge by 1/8 ounce….ish. If the pressure has some margin I may play around with more, but typically I look for the specs I want & reduce by 1/8. Then I pattern & chrono the original load vs the spreader load. With some loads it just ain’t worth it.

My competition target load uses the X-wad, I posted this in this section under “Some loads I have sent through the Chrony”…but it uses #9.

Putz: Have not recently, I will have to take a gander

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:58 am  Reply with quote

FWIW, I found out that mylar, is a great way to avoid barrel leading. In every load I tested using mylar, whether it was inside a shot cup or riding against the bore, chamber pressure went up as high as 2,500 PSI with some loads. Great stuff but not without a price.

With spreaders you have a lot more options with the Polywad Spred-R, hopefully they start producing them again. The X works but I hate scrubbing lead out of the barrel and you can't control the pattern core as much as you can with the Spred-R's.

Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:08 am  Reply with quote

I have used both the Polywad and the BPI spreaders, not much difference if any I can detect out of the couple of guns I use them in. Poly wad just easier to load.
I use published data (or my own tested data) and I make no adjustments in shot charge. I do Roll crimp so maybe issue with coulumn height and crimping if you are folding.

Generally use them with #7 shot for early pheasant (first barrel), prairie chicken first barrel, huns and quail. Also use #8 or 8.5 for doves, quail and clays.
FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:09 am  Reply with quote

For my 16ga doubles I load both the Spred-R and the Xtreme in 3/4 oz #8 loads. With the Spred-R I’ve gone to the over/under method with 1/8 of the load over the disc which lessons the hole in the middle of the pattern.

Also, I’ve found that the Spred-R consistently opens the pattern more than the Xtreme. For instance, in a full/full NID that I have a Spred-R in the RB gives me a LM while a Xtreme in the LB gives me a IM.

Of course, you’ll need to spend some fun time at the pattern board but I like the options these two give with vintage fixed choke guns.